Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Unused Ray Harryhausen monster designs will be used in "Force of the Trojans"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-31-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...force-trojans/

The legendary Ray Harryhausen may have passed away back in 2013, but it seems he left behind a handful of monsters that have been begging to be unleashed on the big screen.

Announced by the Ray and Diana Harryhausen Foundation, a joint effort with Morningside Productions will give rise to Force of the Trojans, a brand new stop motion movie!

“Discovery of new materials in the vast archives of the Ray and Diana Harryhausen Foundation will be the basis of a spectacularly new and original theatrical motion picture in the style of such Harryhausen/Charles Schneer classics such as Clash of the Titans, the duo’s most significant box office collaboration from 1981,” the foundation announced this week.

They continued, “This project, tentatively entitled Force of the Trojans, is based on a screenplay by Beverley Cross, and original production art and sculptures conceived by Ray Harryhausen that are on par with some of his most iconic screen creatures. Force of the Trojans will embody the spirit of the original Harryhausen films with all the fun, vibrant action, epic scope and dedication to craftsmanship that has made Ray Harryhausen’s films timeless.”

“Unlike other revisits to the fantasy adventure genre, Force of the Trojans will bring together stop-motion animation with the photo-real world of CGI, marking the first time that a monster battle will mix both techniques on screen in a major motion picture. In homage to a bygone era, this film will bring both worlds crashing together. For the first time, we can put on screen sequences that were not possible for Ray due to the limitations of special effects photography at the time.”

Force of the Trojans sounds like a condom ad, so I am guessing the title will change if the project advances.

More detailed info (and some great old clips) here:
https://www.slashfilm.com/force-of-the-trojans/
Old 10-31-18, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Unused Ray Harryhausen monster designs will be used in "Force of the Trojans"

Old 10-31-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Unused Ray Harryhausen monster designs will be used in "Force of the Trojans"

I'm always down for more Harryhausen. I know it's his models, but I wonder if the movement will still have his style?
Old 10-31-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-31-18, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Discovery of new materials"? Really?

I read about a Clash of the Titans sequel (titled Force of the Trojans) project being cancelled by MGM not long after Clash was released.

I'm fairly certain I also read about the sequel idea somewhere in one of Ray's numerous books or in the 3-volume biography set, "Ray Harryhausen - Master of the Majicks" published by Archive Editions. Might have read about it in more than one source.
Old 10-31-18, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
"Discovery of new materials"? Really?
Some old sketches and a big lump of clay?
Old 10-31-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it's got CGI, then it ain't Harryhausen.
Old 11-01-18, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Something I've always been curious about but have never been able to find out either way:

Harryhausen and Schneer were working on a "Sinbad on Mars" movie in the earlier sixties. The movie never happened and they made First Men in The Moon instead.
I've wondered if the creature designs for First Men in the Moon were originally intended for Sinbad on Mars.

Harryhausen talks about Sinbad on Mars in interviews but has never volunteered or been asked if there's any connection to the two movies.