DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020, W/D: Sorkin) — Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/645649-trial-chicago-7-2020-w-d-sorkin-%97-netflix.html)

dex14 10-26-18 11:04 PM

The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020, W/D: Sorkin) — Netflix

Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment’s long-awaited political drama “The Trial of the Chicago 7” looks to be closer than ever to getting off the ground, with a new director and an A-list cast coming together.

Sources tell Variety that Aaron Sorkin is on board to direct with Sacha Baron Cohen in early talks to join the cast.

Marc Platt is producing.

Sorkin penned the original script. At one point, Spielberg himself considered directing, but a writers strike forced him to delay the film. When he couldn’t pin down a time to direct the movie, he moved on, and the pic went into development purgatory.

Spielberg tried revving up the project in 2013, attaching Paul Greengrass to direct, but after a budget couldn’t be agreed on, Greengrass parted ways with the film and it was shelved again.

Following his directorial debut on “Molly’s Game,” Spielberg saw Sorkin as the perfect candidate to take over directing responsibilities on “Chicago 7.”

Based on the the documentary by Brett Morgan called “Chicago 10”, the film is based on the infamous 1969 trial of seven defendants charged by the federal government with conspiracy and more, arising from the countercultural protests in Chicago at the 1968 Democratic National Convention. The trial transfixed the nation and sparked a conversation about mayhem intended to undermine the U.S. government.

An A-list ensemble had always been a goal for the movie, with talent like Will Smith being considered during the time of the project’s first brush with development. This time around, Sorkin is also looking for big talent. Coincidentally, Baron Cohen was a top choice of Spielberg’s to play activist Abbie Hoffman in 2008, and it looks like Sorkin still sees him as the perfect actor for the role.

Sorkin has been a coveted screenwriter since the ’90s with classic scripts like “A Few Good Men,” “The Social Network,” and “The American President,” in addition to being the creator of “The West Wing.” Following his directing debut on “Molly’s Game,” he has taken an eye to directing the scripts he writes as well.

He most recently adapted “To Kill A Mockingbird” for its broadway debut in December.

As for Baron Cohen, the actor is coming off his critically acclaimed Showtime series “Who Is America?” and is currently shooting the Netflix series “The Spy.”
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/a...en-1202986773/

Surprised there wasn’t a previous thread from all the other times this tries to get off the ground.

TheMovieman 12-12-18 02:39 PM

re: The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020, W/D: Sorkin) — Netflix

Aaron Sorkin’s ‘Trial of the Chicago 7’ Put on Hold (EXCLUSIVE)

After getting close to pushing the long-in-development project into production, Amblin Entertainment is shutting down pre-production on Aaron Sorkin’s “The Trial of the Chicago 7,” sources tell Variety.

Sources say Sorkin is focusing on his play “To Kill a Mockingbird,” which opens Thursday, while the studio figures out how to move forward on the film. Amblin released a statement on Wednesday saying they are still involved and are giving Sorkin time to finish work on his play.
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/a...wn-1203087497/

dex14 02-02-19 04:35 PM

EXCLUSIVE: After pre-production was put on pause in December, we can reveal that Aaron Sorkin’s The Trial Of The Chicago 7 is now heading to market with an all-star cast including Eddie Redmayne, Sacha Baron Cohen, Seth Rogen, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jonathan Majors and Alex Sharp.

Rocket Science has boarded international sales and CAA will handle U.S. with shoot now slated for late summer. The anticipated project instantly becomes a red-hot prospect at the EFM next week and its revival in the open market should be a major boon for buyers.

Based on Oscar-winner Sorkin’s screenplay, The Social Network and West Wing scribe will also direct the film which is based on the infamous 1969 trial of seven defendants charged by the federal government with conspiracy and more, arising from the countercultural protests in Chicago at the 1968 Democratic National Convention. The story is set in 1968 and 1969, but speaks to the divisiveness of our times and how young people can take on power and change the world.

Redmayne will play Tom Hayden, Baron Cohen is Abbie Hoffman, Rogen will be Jerry Rubin, Gordon-Levitt has been set to play Richard Schultz, Jonathan Majors stars as Bobby Seale, and Alex Sharp will be Rennie Davis. I hear more A-list cast may be coming. Michael Keaton has been coveted for the role of William Kunstler.

Now on board to produce with Amblin are La La Land, The Girl On The Train and Bridge Of Spies producer Marc Platt and Matt Jackson, producer on Molly’s Game and End of Watch.

Chicago 7 has long been a passion project for Sorkin and will mark his second film as director after he made his feature directorial debut in 2017 with Molly’s Game, which he also wrote. The supremo scribe recently opened Broadway show To Kill A Mockingbird to rave reviews.

Sorkin said, “I’m thrilled to be making a movie about one of one of the craziest, funniest, most intense, most tragic and most triumphant trials in American history. C-7 may take place in the late ’60’s, but there’s no better time to tell this story than today.”

Sorkin, Baron Cohen, Redmayne, Majors and Sharp are represented by CAA. Gordon-Levitt is represented by WME and Rogen by UTA.
https://deadline.com/2019/02/eddie-r...fm-1202547798/

GoldenJCJ 02-02-19 05:04 PM

Nice to hear it’s back on. I thought Sorkin did a solid job directing Molly’s Game so I’m down for this!

Decker 02-02-19 05:45 PM

I liked Molly's Game and was surprised it wasn't better received. Like this cast so far, but Cohen is a little old at 47 to play Hoffman who was 33 in 1969 though. Hard to be the poster boy for the counter-culture movement when you're almost 50.

dex14 08-29-19 02:26 PM

After being put on pause due to budgetary concerns, Aaron Sorkin’s long-awaited “The Trial of the Chicago 7” seems to have found its footing again. Sources tell Variety that Paramount Pictures has come on board for domestic distribution, with Cross Creek signing on to produce and co-finance alongside Amblin Partners.

Along with its new financing, the historical drama has added Frank Langella and Mark Rylance to the star-studded cast that already included Eddie Redmayne, Sacha Baron Cohen and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Sorkin will direct from his script.

The news should bring a huge sigh of relief for Sorkin after the film was shelved last December while the budget was worked out. Amblin has been trying to get the film into production for more than a decade, with Paul Greengrass and even Amblin CEO Steven Spielberg taking on directing duties at different points.

The movie is based on the infamous 1969 trial of seven men charged by the federal government with conspiracy and inciting to riot, a result of the counterculture protests in Chicago at the 1968 Democratic National Convention. The trial transfixed the nation and sparked a conversation intended to undermine the U.S. government.

Marc Platt is producing the pic and CAA Media Finance negotiated the deal.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/t...203318383/amp/

dex14 09-13-20 10:21 PM

Written and directed by Academy Award®-Winner Aaron Sorkin starring Sacha Baron Cohen, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Frank Langella, Eddie Redmayne, Mark Rylance, Jeremy Strong, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Michael Keaton, John Carroll Lynch and Alex Sharp.

Synopsis: What was intended to be a peaceful protest at the 1968 Democratic National Convention turned into a violent clash with police and the National Guard. The organizers of the protest—including Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin, Tom Hayden and Bobby Seale—were charged with conspiracy to incite a riot and the trial that followed was one of the most notorious in history.

GoldenJCJ 09-13-20 11:01 PM

Re: The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020, W/D: Sorkin) — Netflix

The trailer didn’t show much of substance but it looks good for what little it showed. I’m always down for anything by Aaron Sorkin.

OldBoy 09-14-20 09:46 AM

that looked awesome. i love Cohen in serious roles. he really is a gifted actor.

Decker 09-14-20 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13493804)
I... Like this cast so far, but Cohen is a little old at 47 to play Hoffman who was 33 in 1969 though. Hard to be the poster boy for the counter-culture movement when you're almost 50.

I agree with me. Too old for this part.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...9ce183bb3a.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...48bbfef608.jpg

GoldenJCJ 09-14-20 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13805196)
I agree with me. Too old for this part.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...9ce183bb3a.jpg

He looks a lot like Oscar Isaac in that photo. Isaac is 41 but I think he could have passed for a 1970s 33.

dex14 09-23-20 10:42 AM

dex14 10-16-20 07:02 AM

Out today.

OldBoy 10-16-20 11:42 AM

Getting great reviews! Can’t wait!

OldBoy 10-16-20 10:01 PM

Anyone see this? Thoughts?

TomOpus 10-16-20 10:13 PM

Pretty good flick. In '69 I was old enough to know about it but too young to know the details. Pretty good acting from a great cast. I'm glad it was just a movie instead of a 4-episode series. The two hours moved along nicely for me. Of course, some scenes in the trailer didn't make it to the final cut. Oh well.

OldBoy 10-16-20 10:55 PM

Nice. I wasn’t even sperm yet, but heard way way after and sounds and looks like great story. Never went wrong with Sorkin. I should give The Newsroom another chance, but didn’t love love of what I saw...

GoldenJCJ 10-17-20 12:51 AM

I thought it was fantastic!

I know this year has been slim pickings for movies but this is at the top of the list so far. Sorkin is growing as a filmmaker. This had a lot of trademark Sorkin quick wit writing that we’ve come to expect from him but the directing has definitely improved since Molly’s Game, which I enjoyed as well. I also thought the editing was great as well.

It’s a historical movie but it’s amazing how topical the subject matter is. It’s pretty depressing that history seems to be doomed to continually repeat itself.

Decker 10-18-20 01:24 AM

dex14 10-18-20 09:29 AM

Between this and the West Wing special, it is a great weekend to be a Sorkin fan.

This was fantastic. My only critique is that the end came off a bit schmaltzy with the music.

Troy Stiffler 10-24-20 11:24 PM

This was far more entertaining and engrossing than I expected.

More should be watching and talking about it.

Count Dooku 10-25-20 05:33 PM

I watched this today and really thought it was great. It was not so quickly paced that history seemed like a carnival ride, but also not as plodding as what is mostly a trial could be.
I thought it was a wise choice to more or less let the trial be the framework and fill in the pieces of that week in 68 as we went along, rather than laying everything out and then letting the trial litigate what we had seen.
I also thought the performances were excellent. 2020 is a shit year for the world, but a big year for Cohen.
The moment when Hoffman realized what Hayden meant on the tape because of the idiosyncrasy of Hayden's writing style was such a Sorkin moment, I had to laugh.

I have been very busy this week, so I don't know what the reception has been. It is not in the Netflix Top Ten today. Pity. Every American should be watching this.

dom56 10-25-20 05:37 PM

I watch it a few days ago and thought it was good. I do think the one I saw maybe it was on PBS years ago a play on the trial was much better IMO.

MLBFan24 10-25-20 09:22 PM

Very good Netflix film with a great cast. Fits with the current times, so it had a greater impact on me as a viewer.

Runaway 10-26-20 01:18 PM

In my opinion The Trial of the Chicago 7 is the best Netflix movie so far and one of the few I really enjoyed. Sorkin is a great writer and he improved as a director. The cast is fantastic, the story is compelling, the only part I didn't like was the ending.