Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sports errors in movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sports errors in movies

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: Sports errors in movies

Not an error per se, but the Rocky films created an unrealistic way on how the action happens in boxing, especially at a heavyweight level.

Also, not a movie, but I always wondered how Steve Urkel, who was the team's waterboy, was able to go in and play in his breakout game, even though he wasn't part of the roster.
Old 10-26-18, 02:44 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like the movie Lucas didn’t get much right. Has there been an explanation over the years regarding why they were so lazy with the rules?
Old 10-26-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It always bugged me that the Naked Gun used the Angels, but they were playing in Dodger Stadium.
Major League (the Indians) was filmed in Baltimore (the Orioles) as I recall.
Old 10-26-18, 04:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
If I recall they played at Milwaukee's Fulton County Stadium
Old 10-26-18, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Major League II was filmed at the then new Oriole Park at Camden Yards.
Old 10-26-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
This was my first thought when I saw the thread title. Not only was it a torrential rainstorm, the field looked completely dark due to the shitty lighting. No game ever would have been played in these conditions.
That was my biggest problem with the football game at the beginning of The Last Boy Scout. It was a professional football game and it looked like it was being played at night with no stadium lights on. That and the fact that the announcer was speaking over the stadium PA in the middle of a play.
Old 10-26-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

In the first Mighty Ducks, the Ducks would get called for interference during the flying V. Don't even get me started on D2!
Old 10-26-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

That final 180° jump set is fuckin' horrible.
Old 10-26-18, 08:51 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Color of Money, can't tell you how many of the shots were a heap of bull

Side Out is an awesome movie for hot 90s bikini babes ! leave it alone lol
Old 10-27-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Not really an error on the events that transpired in Rush but the hatred between James Hunt and Niki Lauda was made up for drama. They were actually good friends throughout their racing careers and after.
Old 10-27-18, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's not a movie, but on Seinfeld in the episode with Keith Hernandez, they say that Mookie Wilson got "that hit" in Game 6 of the World Series (1986). But Wilson's only hit in that game was an uneventful single in the 5th inning. They're referring to the point in the bottom of the 10th when a ball hit by Wilson was able to get Ray Knight home from 2nd to win the game and keep the Mets alive for Game 7.

That was not a hit; the ball infamously rolled under Bill Buckner's glove, so Wilson reached base on an error.
Old 10-27-18, 11:32 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond

lol
Give an example. I don’t know pool. But a lot of the time Vince is deliberately showboating. So if you’re criticizing that I don’t think that’s fair.
Old 10-27-18, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
That was my biggest problem with the football game at the beginning of The Last Boy Scout. It was a professional football game and it looked like it was being played at night with no stadium lights on. That and the fact that the announcer was speaking over the stadium PA in the middle of a play.
Tony Scott was a strong visualist, but downside there is he would shoot unrealistic stuff based on it looking compelling/dramatic. Like a more extreme version of his brother.
Old 10-27-18, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Every racing movie seems to have this higher gear that is saved for passing someone, just shift and stomp on the pedal, then vooom!
Good god this drives me nuts!!! I sort fo forgive it when they are on road/street courses, but on an oval you are NOT shifting into this magical gear on the straights and passing!!! It's like some of the cars have 10 speeds...
Old 10-27-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Which reminds me of all those movie and TV show scenes where the main character goes into a dive bar that has a pool table, and you can see that the players have never held a cue in their lives.
Old 10-27-18, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Most hockey movies.
It's obvious the star(s) of the movie only laced on skates for the first time for the movie.
Old 10-28-18, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Which reminds me of all those movie and TV show scenes where the main character goes into a dive bar that has a pool table, and you can see that the players have never held a cue in their lives.
I've played pool at different times in my life, but was never any good at it. I probably never held the cue properly even once.
Old 10-28-18, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

What do you guys consider holding a cue correctly? Are you talking about how you hold it when waiting your turn or when you're aiming for a shot? My dad taught me to do what feels comfortable. I've seen many players use different techniques.
Old 10-28-18, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
In Space Jam, there are all kinds of rule violations, with weaponry, etc., but the main thing to me is, of all the NBA players the Monstars stole the basketball prowess of Shawn Bradley, then for their only guard they chose Muggsy Bogues (the rest were Ewing, Barkley, and Larry Johnson)?
You're dead on with Bradley, but if you were going for pure talent, Bogues would've had to have more than anybody considering the disadvantage his height gave him.
Old 10-28-18, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
What do you guys consider holding a cue correctly? Are you talking about how you hold it when waiting your turn or when you're aiming for a shot? My dad taught me to do what feels comfortable. I've seen many players use different techniques.
You grasp it about here, you make a bridge about here, and you sight down the cue. When you aren't at the table, you unconsciously carry the cue in a way that doesn't put other people at risk.

When extras in the background are tossing a football back and forth, they hold and throw the ball in the generally accepted style. The crowd wrangler wouldn't use someone who has a great body but who doesn't look right when they throw the ball. They do it all the time when it comes to pool.

Of course the reason for the pool table scene is for the camera to ogle the hot chick bending over the table, followed by the hero beating up the 6'7" bearded dude.
Old 10-28-18, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Maybe it deserves a separate thread but what happened to sports movies?

Hollywood does not make them anymore. Are people cynical of seeing feel good stories or you can't do something new with the genre?

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 10-29-18 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-28-18, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
DeNiro's The Fan ends with a climactic baseball game played in a torrential rainstorm. It's like the movie's writer had never seen a baseball game - - the very phrase "rain out" is a baseball term

LOL I think it was a Bruckheimer production.
Old 10-28-18, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Maybe it deserves a separate thread but what happened to sports movies?

Hollywood does not make them anymore. Are people cynical of seeing feel good storys or you can't do something new with the genre?
They still pop up from time to time. I think sports movies have slowly moved away from “movies about sports” to “movies about something else with sports as a backdrop”. Instead of something like Bull Durham or Major League which focused primarily on that particular sport, we get movies like the Trouble with the Curve or Moneyball which are about something completely different with the sport itself coming in second.

It feels like straight up “sports movies” have just become too cliched. Underdog stories, rag tag group of misfit stories have been done to death. Baseball movies seem to work best cinematically, I think they’ve just run out of original ideas. Lately it feels like Hollywood has moved away from the big sports and has been focusing more on smaller sports like track or MMA.
Old 10-28-18, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
When extras in the background are tossing a football back and forth, they hold and throw the ball in the generally accepted style.
Hell, sometimes even the MAIN characters don't throw the football properly.

Spoiler:
Old 10-29-18, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
They still pop up from time to time. I think sports movies have slowly moved away from “movies about sports” to “movies about something else with sports as a backdrop”. Instead of something like Bull Durham or Major League which focused primarily on that particular sport, we get movies like the Trouble with the Curve or Moneyball which are about something completely different with the sport itself coming in second.

It feels like straight up “sports movies” have just become too cliched. Underdog stories, rag tag group of misfit stories have been done to death. Baseball movies seem to work best cinematically, I think they’ve just run out of original ideas. Lately it feels like Hollywood has moved away from the big sports and has been focusing more on smaller sports like track or MMA.
The only major one that comes to mind is 42 which came out back in 2013.

I think maybe you can't sell an American sports movie overseas.

Maybe sports docs are more popular

https://www.tiff.net/the-review/tiff...-sports-movie/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.