Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Vox Lux (2018, D: Corbet) S: Natalie Portman, Jude Law, Raffey Cassidy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-25-18, 03:26 PM

Directed by BRADY CORBET

VOX LUX begins in 1999 when teenage sisters Celeste (Raffey Cassidy) and Eleanor (Stacy Martin) survive a seismic, violent tragedy. The sisters compose and perform a song about their experience, making something lovely and cathartic out of catastrophe while also catapulting Celeste to stardom. By 2017, the now 31-year-old Celeste (Natalie Portman) is mother to a teenage daughter of her own and struggling to navigate a career fraught with scandals when another act of terrifying violence demands her attention.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5960374
Old 10-25-18, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Vox Lux (2018, D: Corbet) S: Natalie Portman, Jude Law, Raffey Cassidy

It’s been getting great reviews, but that trailer did nothing for me at all. Very little interest in seeing this.
Old 10-26-18, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glam rock Gilmore Girls
Old 12-05-18, 09:08 AM

Opens limited this week currently 85% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/vox_lux

Old 12-14-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this last night. Not knowing much about the plot going in, I was definitely not expecting the storyline to start off the way it did.

A very sardonic look at a young woman's rise from teen pop sensation into a controversial, messed-up pop icon struggling to hold on to her fame, this is a darkly humorous portrait of celebrity that is unabashedly pretentious but fairly engaging. Has some drawn-out functional parts in the first half as we see the machinations behind the methodical creation of a teen idol, but overall I kind of liked it. If nothing else, it's at least a more interesting evisceration of the music industry than anything offered up by A Star is Born or Bohemian Rhapsody.

About halfway through the running time, Natalie Portman blows into the film sporting a thick accent that is hard to take seriously, but it's fun to see her playing such an unflattering character with such gusto. I'm not a huge Sia fan, but did find her songs at the end (sung by Portman) to be rather catchy. I actually wouldn't have minded seeing more concert footage with Portman's character.
Old 12-19-18, 08:53 AM

I saw this last night. It was... bizarre to say the least. As Perkinsun Dzees says, the opening storyline is hinted in the trailer but is still a bit shocking to see. Not to mention Portman isn't in the first hour of the movie.

Her scene in the diner with the daughter (who also plays a young Portman in the first half) was absolutely cringeworthy. I thought she was horrible and miscast, but she improves later on so it may have just been the direction from Corbet.

I can't imagine general audiences seeing this (though it doesn't look like anyone is going to see it based on the BO figures) and liking it at all. Critics seem split too. The RT score has dropped 25% since I posted last. I know it sounds like I'm eviscerating it, but there was still something here that was entertaining. Especially on a technical level.