Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fair Game (2010) - 2018 Director's Cut out now (Netflix on Nov 1)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-24-18, 10:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Hadn't heard about this until I saw it on Vudu for $5.

Doug Liman Takes a Second Crack at ‘Fair Game’; New Cut to Be Released on Netflix
http://collider.com/doug-liman-fair-...s-cut-netflix/

In 2010, Summit Entertainment released Doug Liman’s Fair Game. The film pretty much disappeared the moment it was released. The movie was based on the Plame affair, where the Bush Administration outed the identity of covert CIA agent Valerie Plame as retaliation for her husband, Joe Wilson, penning an op-ed casting doubt on the administration’s claim that Saddam Hussein had sought quantities of uranium from Africa. The affair led to a criminal investigation where Scooter Libby, an adviser to Vice President Dick Cheney, was convicted of lying to investigators, but his sentence was commuted by Bush and he was recently pardoned by Donald Trump.

Liman tells Indiewire he was never fully satisfied with his original cut of Fair Game, and talked about butting head with Sean Penn, who played Wilson, in the editing room:

“Sean had things going on in his personal life when we were making the film, impacting his performance,” Liman said. “What he considered a genius performance and what I considered a genius performance were not necessarily the same. You can’t necessarily corral genius on set, but you can do it in the editing room.”

The film will hit digital platforms on October 23rd and Netflix on November 1st.

DIRECTOR’S STATEMENT – FAIR GAME Friday, September 14, 2018

I was never truly satisfied with the version of Fair Game that was theatrically released in 2010. I knew that Naomi Watts and Sean Penn had given more compelling performances, and that the proximity of making the movie to the events it portrayed had not given me the perspective of time. I owed it to myself, to Naomi, to Sean, to Valerie Plame, and to my audience, to go back in and do better.

I recognized that re-cutting and rereleasing a film is a little like an artist showing up with a brush and paint to the home of someone who bought his painting to make a few changes. I mean are you really allowed to do that? And then I thought. Why not.

And then Trump pardoned Scooter Libby – and releasing the director’s cut of Fair Game took on new urgency for me. Remember that in 2003 the White House leaked the identity of covert CIA officer Valerie Plame to deflect attention from her husband Joe Wilson who publicly challenged the Bush administration’s rationale for going to war in Iraq. And Scooter Libby was convicted of four counts, including obstruction of justice and lying to the FBI, and sentenced to jail. By a jury of 12 citizens.

Academy Award-winning editor Stephen Mirrione, who cut my first films, did this recut with me.

Now that Trump has pardoned Scooter Libby, the story is done (as pardons are forever). I went back into the film one last time to reflect that pardon. I can now say with confidence that the film finally is finished.

My hope is that audiences are reminded to hold their government accountable and remember that the actions of just one or two individuals can make a difference. — Doug Liman
Sounds like it might be worth a watch. The original version is currently on Netflix, but the new cut will appear on Nov 1. I don't know if that means the original cut will disappear... so it might be worth watching before that date comes, just in case.
Old 10-25-18, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Fair Game (2010) - 2018 Director's Cut out now (Netflix on Nov 1)

I've yet to see the film but will give this new DC a view.
Old 10-25-18, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cindy still looks good enough for these reshoots/recuts.. but Billy Baldwin though.
Old 10-25-18, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-25-18, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll pass on the D.C. for the same reason I passed on the original release: my blood pressure can't take it.
Old 10-26-18, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For those interested who don't have Netflix or want ownership, this new version is on sale for $4.99 at VUDU
Old 10-26-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I've yet to see the film but will give this new DC a view.
I concur.
Old 10-26-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

“Sean had things going on in his personal life when we were making the film, impacting his performance,” Liman said. “What he considered a genius performance and what I considered a genius performance were not necessarily the same. You can’t necessarily corral genius on set, but you can do it in the editing room.”
This is of interest because I love Tree of Life. That film was made at almost the same time as this, and Penn has had all kinds of complaints about that film and it’s editing. I think this lends credence to the fact that he’s a troubled nut and his views on things shouldn’t be weighed so heavy.

I also applaud Doug Liman for doing this. Sometimes movies are released at the wrong time. That movie was rushed out too close to the real affair. In this political moment the film may be more relevant.