Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Escape Room (2019, D: Robitel) S: Woll, Labine, Russell, Miller, Dodani, Ellis

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-19-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This reminds me a lot of that Spanish flick Fermat's Room from 2007, with more than a dash of the Saw franchise and a pinch of Cube added into the mix. There's also a low budget 2017 movie called Escape Room with a similar premise. I haven't seen that one, but the reviews make it sound terrible.

Escape Room is an upcoming American psychological horror film directed by Adam Robitel in which six strangers find themselves in circumstances beyond their control, and must use their wits to survive. The film is set to be released in the United States on January 4, 2019, by Columbia Pictures.

Old 01-01-19, 02:25 PM

Re: Escape Room (2019, D: Robitel) S: Woll, Labine, Russell, Miller, Dodani, Ellis

This opens on Thursday.

I’m mildly interested...
Old 01-01-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Escape Room (2019, D: Robitel) S: Woll, Labine, Russell, Miller, Dodani, Ellis

If the reviews are somewhat decent I’ll rent it. Otherwise it just looks like a PG-13 Saw.
Old 01-01-19, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The trailer gives away the death of the
Spoiler:
Indian dude. He falls in the water and it freezes over him.
Old 01-02-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got my tickets for tomorrow via Sinemia.
Old 01-02-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw Fermat's Room and wasn't all that impressed with that one. I am sure that will be better than this.
Old 01-02-19, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I got some Movie gift cards to burn from Christmas. So I'll try to see this on Saturday.

I always have a guilty pleasure for these ensemble "work together as a team" to stay alive flicks.
Old 01-03-19, 01:27 PM

Some reviews have been popping up on YouTube. Perri Nemiroff from Collider seemed to enjoy it.
Old 01-03-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's at 46% right now (was at 60% a minute ago): https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/escape_room_2019

Most seem to have gotten some enjoyment out of it and praise the visuals, but overwhelming seem to agree it peters out.
Old 01-03-19, 09:24 PM

I was highly entertained, but the ending does kind of shit the bed. Two rooms in particular (the bar, acid trip) were fucking awesome. Production design was really cool.

I thought Deborah Ann Woll was badass in this. I'd like to see her in an action movie.

Last edited by dex14; 01-04-19 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-03-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I was highly entertained, but the ending does kind of shit the bed. Two rooms in particular (the bar, acid trip) were fucking awesome. Production design was really cool.

I thought Deborah Ann Woll was badass in this. I'd like to see her in action movie.
Agreed. I love her. Well, the studio seems sure of this, considering the ending
Spoiler:
reveals the mysterious game masters prepping for the next round of games in practicing killing our survivors on their way to New York.

Old 01-05-19, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Very entertaining. I was very engaged and I think the theatre I was in (almost full) was engaged as well. Agree that Deborah Ann Woll was solid. Total change of pace from Karen on Daredevil.

Some of the rooms and traps were very cool. This does remind me a little of Saw and Cube mixed together.

The ending does set up a 2nd movie, but I have a feeling (speculation):

Spoiler:
Zoey and Ben (being the only survivors) will be killed off early on and they will introduce an entirely new cast. They did seem to hint a larger conspiracy was behind the escape rooms.

Finally a somewhat decent suspense thriller from Sony after some terrible duds in the last couple of years.
Old 01-06-19, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks like Escape Room made roughly $7.7M on Friday and it has only a $9M budget.

I could see this making around $30-50M total and it would definitely justify a sequel.
Old 01-06-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Escape Room makes 18 million for the #2 spot. Aquaman doing very nicely in 3rd week, with only a 40% drop.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weeken...&wknd=1&p=.htm
Old 01-25-19, 12:16 PM

Saw this last night with A-List late after work. Was nice, dumb fun. The production value was great, the actors were pretty good, the whole thing has that slightly-too-clunky-to-be-as-slick-as-it-wants-to-be vibe to it, but overall I had fun. This feels like the kind of movie A-List and late shows were designed for, you know?