Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Destroyer (2018, D: Kusama) S: Kidman, Kebbell, Maslany, Stan, Whitford, McNairy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Destroyer (2018, D: Kusama) S: Kidman, Kebbell, Maslany, Stan, Whitford, McNairy

Old 10-17-18, 10:05 AM

Destroyer follows the moral and existential odyssey of LAPD detective Erin Bell who, as a young cop, was placed undercover with a gang in the California desert with tragic results. When the leader of that gang re-emerges many years later, she must work her way back through the remaining members and into her own history with them to finally reckon with the demons that destroyed her past.

Cast: Nicole Kidman, Sebastian Stan, Toby Kebbell, Tatiana Maslany, Bradley Whitford, Jade Pettyjohn, Scoot McNairy
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7137380
Old 10-17-18, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Destroyer (2018, D: Kusama) S: Kidman, Kebbell, Maslany, Stan, Whitford, McNairy

Will NF this one.
Old 10-17-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Destroyer (2018, D: Kusama) S: Kidman, Kebbell, Maslany, Stan, Whitford, McNairy

I like Karyn Kusama, and the plot sounds interesting. I'm in. But will I be bored that Tatiana Maslany is only playing one role?
Old 10-18-18, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this a few days ago at the Mill Valley Film Festival.

As with her 2015 film The Invitation, Karyn Kusama's newest effort is both beautifully shot and wonderfully scored (Theodore Shapiro returns here).

Nicole Kidman felt a bit unbelievable here, in a role which asks her to play against the type of casting she's normally given. What doesn't really help is the much-talked-about physical transformation she went through, which has some awfully done (and distracting) wigs.

Didn't feel the script was fully engaging in its final form, which not even Kusama could remedy, even though there are some intense moments sprinkled within the film.
Old 01-12-19, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This finally opened tonight nearby and it was great. They've been doing Q&A's with Kidman, Kusama, and the writers for what seems like 2 weeks already at the Hollywood ArcLight and Dome showings, so it was cool that it finally opened closer to me. It was a great film. I think Kidman's transformation was fine, it was mostly make-up, teeth, and hairwork, etc. If we're going to compare transformations I'd say that Charlize Theron did it better in Monster due to her gaining weight. Kidman did not gain weight, it was just special fx make-up and styling. She looked fucked up, though.

I'm glad I was finally able to catch it locally. If I had seen it a few weeks ago in Hollywood, it would most certainly have been on my Top-10 list of 2018. It's a damn fine film.