Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween (Gordon Green, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Halloween (Gordon Green, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.82%
5.45%
36.36%
27.27%
16.36%
5.45%
1.82%
0%
1.82%
0%
1.82%
What are you high?
1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Halloween (Gordon Green, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Halloween (Gordon Green, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Wouldn't that kid be pissed that he is stuck at home like it is a normal night while everyone else is out trick or treating? It just felt like there were two different nights going on at the same time.
Old 10-19-18, 08:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Gonna watch the original to get in mood for this seeing hopefully Monday. Think it will be perfect compliment...
Old 10-19-18, 08:06 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Wouldn't that kid be pissed that he is stuck at home like it is a normal night while everyone else is out trick or treating? It just felt like there were two different nights going on at the same time.
Not really any different than the kids in the original except they seemed to have more Halloween activities planned.
Old 10-19-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Gonna watch the original to get in mood for this seeing hopefully Monday. Think it will be perfect compliment...
I think Halloween 2 would also be safe too watch since the ending is almost the same.
Old 10-19-18, 09:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I think Halloween 2 would also be safe too watch since the ending is almost the same.
yeah, think i only saw that one once. liked it, but don't remember much. if i have time...
Old 10-19-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Loved it, awesome kills and great pace...was not expecting to make it this much but I'm so glad I do.

Lot of old school tributes and I loved how it ended.

Michael is brutal in this movie and nothing was over used.
Old 10-19-18, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was a fantastic installment. JLC was awesome, fantastic soundtrack, well-paced, some great kills, and nice amount of callbacks.
Old 10-19-18, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if we will see more slasher movies and less zombie and haunted house(both have been exhausted in the horror genre)?
Old 10-19-18, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I saw a matinee screening so it was almost like I was watching it in the comfort of my home without an audience to influence my reaction.

I liked it, but I didn't love it. There wasn't much tension being built with Michael Myers as a stalker like in the first film. Even though I like the way Michael Myers escapes from the asylum, I think it would of worked better if he had never been captured and had just been missing for 40 years.

The villain turn by the doctor (it reminded me of Halloween 6) was surprising, but a disappointing way to get Michael to the showdown with Laurie.

Speaking of which, Laurie's family was tough to root for. They were iritating characters and unnecessary. Laurie vs. Michael is all that was needed.

If I could take the best parts of this movie and meld them with the best aspects of H20, then this would of been a perfect sequel.

2 1/2 stars out of 5 for me. I'll definitely rewatch it again in the future.
Old 10-20-18, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Just got out of it. First impressions are that I liked it more than I expected. I think that’s due to having somewhat low expectations. That being said a lot of it I didn’t love. Some of the dialogue was cringeworthy and didn’t seem like it fit the tone the film was going for or of Carpenter’s original film. Felt like too many comedic attempts that just were forced. Also when the film veered off from Laurie, which happens a lot thingd went to a bit of a screeching halt. I also found it hard to believe even after seeing the film that those podcasters would have been able to obtain the mask so easily, because yeah the attorney general would really give that to a couple dumbasses who wanted to use it around the serial killer who originally used that in his killings. Just seemed silly. I also find it pretty dumb that Laurie stayed in Haddonfield all those years. Realistically I would think she’d have gotten the fuck out long ago. I know there wouldn’t be a film if she wasn’t living there still but just seemed unrealistic to me. Also the doctor was absolutely stupid. When I heard there was a twist somewhere towards the end of the second act I pretty much pegged that he’d do something stupid. As others have mentioned with it there’s it makes no sense and has no point as he gets offed a couple of minutes later.

Aside from those complaints there is some good. Myers is scary in this and there are some good kills. Curtis is good as Laurie. Not the hugest fan of her being a Sarah Connor knockoff but she plays it well. The granddaughter was a pretty decent actress I thought. Also liked the funny little kid. His comedy parts actually work for his small part. The score is great and I’ll probably buy a physical copy or download it. Also appreciated that the film used the original font for the titles/credits and that they did a cool credit scene to throwback to the first couple films.

I felt like the atmosphere was a bit mixed throughout. Parts were tense but a lot of it kinda felt like just shock value and the film going for it. I’d have preferred more of Michael stalking in the shadows. Also I felt the trailers gave away a lot of the scares. They just cut away before the kills but certain scenes I could tell were coming which ruined a couple of them. Another thing that I felt was a bit cheesy is the fact that Michael is still after Laurie and seemingly basically finds her fairly easily. I know the film had to get them back together, but it seemed a bit too convenient and easy for him. After forty years I’m not sure how he’d even recognize her as he only encountered her the one night going by this film, and he has no real reason to go after her other than the fact that he didn’t get her the first time.

Overall not a bad movie and a decent sequel. Do I enjoy it more than the others though? Not necessarily truthfully. I still am a fan of the franchise as is including some of the sequels. Some of that fandom comes from nostalgia I’m sure but I feel like the best of the sequels stand up to this one and feel like I like some of the original sequels more. Still worth seeing overall. I’ll give it a 3 out of 5.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-20-18 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-20-18, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts

Was fun and entertaining outside of the really stupid moment when Michael's doctor kills the cop so he can "observe Michael in his natural, free state" or whatever stupid bullshit he said to explain his actions. That was really, really lame.
Old 10-20-18, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Was fun and entertaining outside of the really stupid moment when Michael's doctor kills the cop so he can "observe Michael in his natural, free state" or whatever stupid bullshit he said to explain his actions. That was really, really lame.
Didn't he even lick the mask?
Old 10-20-18, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

At first I thought Toby Huss was playing Judy Greer's father, then it turned out he was actually her husband. Oops.

I knew I'd seen him somewhere before, but I couldn't quite place it. Then during the scene at the restaurant, I realized it was none other than:

Old 10-20-18, 10:26 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Can someone who's seen HALLOWEEN 2018 please answer two questions?

The fate of my seeing the movie falls in your hands:

Spoiler:
1. How graphic is the scene where Michael impales the boy on the fence? This boy seems like such a baby-faced cherub, and I don't like seeing kids as young as this suffer.

2. How graphic is the scene where Michael stabs the young son who investigates the bus crash with his father? Again, I don't like seeing kids as young as him suffer either.

The point is: I don't mind seeing teenagers getting the axe, like Bob Simms, Lynda, or even Judith Meyers, but when they're as young-looking as 12 - 14 years old, forget it. Fuck the filmmakers for showing this.
Old 10-20-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Both of those deaths are pretty tame. The kid in the car gets strangled but isn’t shown too long. The other kid is impaled against a fence. You see more of the aftermath of that one but it’s not horribly graphic really. Fairly standard horror movie stuff.
Old 10-20-18, 11:12 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
The point is: I don't mind seeing teenagers getting the axe, like Bob Simms, Lynda, or even Judith Meyers, but when they're as young-looking as 12 - 14 years old, forget it. Fuck the filmmakers for showing this.
FWIW, the "baby-faced cherub" is supposed to be the same age as Laurie's granddaughter (so 17-18). I'd guess the guy playing him is in his twenties.
Old 10-20-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
FWIW, the "baby-faced cherub" is supposed to be the same age as Laurie's granddaughter (so 17-18). I'd guess the guy playing him is in his twenties.
And he has crusty lips.
Old 10-20-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
You do realize the doctor was insane right? Not sure why that bothered you, it made sense. He was obsessed with Michael and even wanted to be him, that's why he briefly put the mask on.
Old 10-20-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How much did Jamie Lee Curtis get paid for appearing in the movie?
Old 10-20-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11
You do realize the doctor was insane right? Not sure why that bothered you, it made sense. He was obsessed with Michael and even wanted to be him, that's why he briefly put the mask on.
The scene does play out stupidly though. Pretty much every review has mentioned that as a “what the fuck” moment that sticks out.
Old 10-20-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
How much did Jamie Lee Curtis get paid for appearing in the movie?
http://halloweendailynews.com/2017/1...e-curtis-deal/

The biggest horror news of the year (for us anyway) has got to be last month’s surprise announcement that Jamie Lee Curtis will reprise her iconic role as Laurie Strode in the highly anticipated new Halloween movie, to be executive produced by John Carpenter, and now we know a bit more about the the behind the scenes financial deal that brought the legendary scream queen back to Haddonfield for a killer 40th anniversary.

iHorror reports that Curtis is being paid a modest salary for her work on the upcoming Halloween film, in exchange for a slice of the profits if it is successful, the same profit-participation agreement that Blumhouse previously entered into with Ethan Hawke, star of the Blumhouse-produced films The Purge and Sinister. So far, Hawke has earned approximately $10 million from The Purge and Sinister, which grossed $48 million and $64 million, respectively, at the domestic box office.

According to the report, if the upcoming Halloween film’s box office performance is similar to that of The Purge and Sinister, Curtis would earn approximately $5 million. However, if the film outperforms this model (which is likely), that number could move closer to $10 million.

“Whether or not you believe that Ethan Hawke is a star, a box office draw, he brought credibility to The Purge and Sinister, and they were successful,” says a source close to the Halloween production. “Although horror films aren’t star-driven films, it helps to have a credible, recognizable face in the film, and when people think of Halloween, and the history of the series, they think of Jamie. She’s the main draw for the new film, and she’s worth a lot of money to the series, so this kind of deal makes sense for everyone involved. It keeps the budgets under $10 million, and it rewards success, and it motivates stars like Jamie to promote the films heavily because they’re so invested in the project at all levels. In the horror genre, Jamie is a superstar and always will be.”

During the height of her film career, between the late 1980s and mid-1990s, Curtis’s established asking price was reportedly between $2 million and $3 million, so the new Halloween film could possibly giver her the largest pay day in her career.

Curtis, who turns 59 on November 22, earned $8,000 in 1978 for the original Halloween. She was then paid $100,000 for 1981’s Halloween II, which was the highest salary she earned during her scream queen period, between 1978 and 1981. As star and un-credited executive producer of 1998’s Halloween: H20, Curtis earned approximately $5 million, and she was paid $3 million for her extended cameo in 2002’s Halloween: Resurrection., according to iHorror.
http://halloweendailynews.com/2017/1...e-curtis-deal/
Old 10-20-18, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I gave it 3.5, but really should have gone with 3 as it was pretty average.
I’m sure I will be in the minority on this, but I found all the callbacks annoying. They are so unnecessary, maybe do one for the hell of it but I’m over them in general.
Old 10-20-18, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The film literally had no explanation as to why MM was trying to kill Laurie (in '78 or and '08). There was some line the Doctor mentioned about their sole motivation is that MM's purpose is to kill her and she him - it's what keeps them alive.
I'm also someone who thought the Dr.'s actions were pretty out-of-left-field and extremely contrived. But I've come up with a possible explanation of why it's in the movie.

For this idea to work, one basic premise has to be accepted: in this new movie, Michael Myers had no intention of hunting down and killing Laurie Strode. He has not been obsessing over her for the past 40 years. In his mind, he's just thinking, "I'm Michael Myers. I break out of asylums and murder teenagers in Haddonfield on Halloween. It's what I do. It's my raison d'etre." So that's what he was doing, and he was perfectly content. Now I don't subscribe to the idea that Michael has any supernatural abilities or senses (at least not in the '78 and '18 continuity), so the fact that he briefly chased Laurie's granddaughter was a total coincidence (Haddonfield is probably a pretty small town). So here he is, minding his own business (hunting teenagers), when BAM a police car hits him and he eventually wakes up in that police car in the middle of nowhere. From there he was like, "Okay, I guess I'll kill my doctor, since he's right there in the driver's seat, and did he maybe hit me with this car?... Uh oh, that teenager's getting away, but I guess I have to kill these cops before they shoot me, because that hurts... And now that teenager's probably reeeaaallly far away, so I guess I'll go kill whoever's in that house. Maybe there'll be a teenager." And, voila, he bumps into Laurie.

So it's not Michael's obsession that brings him and Laurie together, it's the doctor's. He's the one who has built a mythology around the two characters. He thinks they only exist to kill each other. So, in that way, the doctor is sort of a stand-in for us, the audience. We're the ones who have demanded (or at least tolerated) 8 Myers/Strode family-focused sequels/remakes over the past 40 years. We're the ones who have been clamoring for this final showdown. And if we have to take a sharp character turn and stab a sheriff in the neck (even if it's bizarre and pretty dumb) to get that showdown, by god, we're gonna do it!

The character actually probably works better as an analog for the sequel/remake filmmakers & producers, but it was more fun to write that paragraph as an accusation against the audience.
Old 10-20-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don’t know, I do think there’s still a supernatural/super human aspect to Michael. He basically is still unstoppable and can’t be killed despite being shot and stabbed multiple times. He gets briefly phased but will pretty much continue on after a minute or two. I think we all know there’s likely to be a sequel and probably more to follow until people get sick of it.
Old 10-20-18, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The continuity issue, among others, Will Patton's character also shot him in the shoulder - it fucking spun him sideways a a bit but he kept walking on and that injury is never reflected on in terms of blood or a hole where the bullet entered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.