Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween (Gordon Green, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Halloween (Gordon Green, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.82%
5.45%
36.36%
27.27%
16.36%
5.45%
1.82%
0%
1.82%
0%
1.82%
What are you high?
1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Halloween (Gordon Green, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 10-18-18, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts
Re: Halloween (Gordon Green, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I just got back from this and having watched Halloween II earlier today - this one is basically a remake of that one. They did plenty of homage shots from the first two films - I liked the Laurie Srode standing outside of the school looking at her granddaughter and those type of scenes. The music score was also great, as well.

I didn't really care for scenes that ended in smash cuts. The opening had a smash cut that leads into the opening credits, which was weird in terms of placement. I didn't care for the flow there.

As far as the kills "for no reason" as Michael is stalking the neighborhood, well, that's all Halloween II "homaging." Kind of how in Halloween II Michael kills the random girl that heard the old lady screaming who was making her husband a ham sandwich. That kill was totally unnecessary (in Halloween II) but was added by John Carpenter to add to the body count/gore factor. At least here, that whole sequence was one giant take, which was cool on a technical level.

As far as resolution goes? Well, there is closure for the women, but as far as Michael goes, he was either in the house or made it out. Again, this H40 was more of a remake/re-imagining of Halloween II.

If I had to rank them now, since I may see this again at theater, I'll say my order of sequence is:

John Carpenter's Halloween
Halloween II
H20
H40
Yep that's my order as well.
Old 10-18-18, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

We watched this tonight and I would give it 2.5 Derps out of 5. There were times I felt like I was watching a Scream movie by the tone rather than a Halloween sequel to the first. Also, could they not have had the bus transfer take place like a month or two ago and Michael escape to then show up out of nowhere? We go from Laurie watching him ride off in the bus to just hours later all hell breaking loose. It was a bit much. I did think they did a good job with the kills but there were some that were kills for the sake of it. Not sure how I fell about Mr. McStabby showing up to turn the tide.
Old 10-18-18, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

The big controversial moment turned out to be more mild than I had expected (Thank god) and the climax was mostly standard stuff. Other than that, I was fine with the rest of it.

The first kill that we see Michael do was really shocking and set the tone well. Kudos to the film crew for allowing that.
Old 10-19-18, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
The big controversial moment turned out to be more mild than I had expected (Thank god) and the climax was mostly standard stuff. Other than that, I was fine with the rest of it.

The first kill that we see Michael do was really shocking and set the tone well. Kudos to the film crew for allowing that.
Controversial moment? Where?
Old 10-19-18, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

^
Spoiler:
Michael's Doctor

The Collider crew made a big deal about it on their podcast/review and I've heard other reviewers said they bailed on the film after that happened.

But it obviously could have been MUCH worse
Spoiler:
When the Doc put Michael's mask on, all I could think of was that we were getting Jason Goes To Hell redux
Old 10-19-18, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Ah, gotcha.

I'm trying to remember if they cut out or left the scene where the friends are walking and they say that "Michael was Laurie's brother" and she responds that that's not true - just stuff that people made up. The film literally had no explanation as to why MM was trying to kill Laurie (in '78 or and '08). There was some line the Doctor mentioned about their sole motivation is that MM's purpose is to kill her and she him - it's what keeps them alive.
Old 10-19-18, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

I just got back from an evening show.

I'd give it a B. Probably the best sequel or remake since H20. It's such a shame that H20 is wiped out from cannon because that was a great sequel.

I'll give a few positives and minuses

Positives:

Jamie Lee Curtis - Solid as an older and paranoid Laurie. A nice return and presumably swan song for her and the Laurie Strode character. Much better than the shitty sendoff she got in Resurrection. That was such a disgrace to write her out like that.

Michael - Relentless and intense. I also appreciated that they made him age accurate. He's a psychopath in his 60's and the back shots of him at the mental hospital seemed to show he was an elder man.

The Kills - They were pretty good and some were gruesome. Especially the opening kills of the 2 podcast journalists.

Carpenter's score -- Nice return for him in the series.

I liked the remix of the Halloween theme and the reverse dissolving pumpkin in the opening credits.

Some nice little odes to past movies - Laurie falling off the roof and then disappearing shortly afterwards when Michael looks to find her.

Minuses:

Some of the attempts at comedy - Felt very forced at times, especially the lame sandwich discussion. But, the black kid was kind of funny. I did at his lines.

The attempts at teen drama -- Dorky fat guy trying to kiss Laurie's granddaughter. And then a "misunderstanding" at the Halloween dance between the happy teen couple.

The big turn by the obsessed doctor or Loomis wannabe. That was so not necessary and added nothing. Especially since Michael killed him shortly afterwards.

Overall it was for the most part very entertaining. If left things vague enough where it could work as a series ender for those only sticking around for Laurie or it could potentially continue with a new cast in a future installment.
Old 10-19-18, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not a Stuckmann fan but I appreciate his newfound temperament. He does not seem hyper anymore. I like old Stuckmann, not young Stuckmann.

In any event, I agree with a lot of his points here, though:

Old 10-19-18, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
I just got back from an evening show.

I'd give it a B. Probably the best sequel or remake since H20. It's such a shame that H20 is wiped out from cannon because that was a great sequel.

I'll give a few positives and minuses

Positives:

Jamie Lee Curtis - Solid as an older and paranoid Laurie. A nice return and presumably swan song for her and the Laurie Strode character. Much better than the shitty sendoff she got in Resurrection. That was such a disgrace to write her out like that.

Michael - Relentless and intense. I also appreciated that they made him age accurate. He's a psychopath in his 60's and the back shots of him at the mental hospital seemed to show he was an elder man.

The Kills - They were pretty good and some were gruesome. Especially the opening kills of the 2 podcast journalists.

Carpenter's score -- Nice return for him in the series.

I liked the remix of the Halloween theme and the reverse dissolving pumpkin in the opening credits.

Some nice little odes to past movies - Laurie falling off the roof and then disappearing shortly afterwards when Michael looks to find her.

Minuses:

Some of the attempts at comedy - Felt very forced at times, especially the lame sandwich discussion. But, the black kid was kind of funny. I did at his lines.

The attempts at teen drama -- Dorky fat guy trying to kiss Laurie's granddaughter. And then a "misunderstanding" at the Halloween dance between the happy teen couple.

The big turn by the obsessed doctor or Loomis wannabe. That was so not necessary and added nothing. Especially since Michael killed him shortly afterwards.

Overall it was for the most part very entertaining. If left things vague enough where it could work as a series ender for those only sticking around for Laurie or it could potentially continue with a new cast in a future installment.

That whole angle along with her boyfriend was really underwritten. Also, I'm all for Halloween costumes, but the fact that they set him up (the granddaughter's BF) in drag as a reverse gendered Bonnie & Clyde couple made me think they were going to make him and the fat guy more than just friends.
Old 10-19-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

^
Spoiler:
Michael's Doctor

The Collider crew made a big deal about it on their podcast/review and I've heard other reviewers said they bailed on the film after that happened.

Spoiler:
When the Doc put Michael's mask on, all I could think of was that we were getting Jason Goes To Hell redux
I guess those pussies didn't bother reviewing Upgrade.
Old 10-19-18, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm not a Stuckmann fan but I appreciate his newfound temperament. He does not seem hyper anymore. I like old Stuckmann, not young Stuckmann.

In any event, I agree with a lot of his points here, though:

I agree with a lot of what he found wrong with the film, especially with regards to Michael's doctor.
Spoiler:
That twist made no sense and served no purpose other than getting Michael and the Granddaughter to Laurie for the final showdown.

I guess you could try and interpret it by saying that since Michael was pure evil, he corrupted the doctor. You could also say that his obsession with his patient and trying to understand him is what drove him mad. Either way, it was really out of left field. The only reason I saw it coming from a mile away was I had read the spoiler regarding a second villain a few months back by mistake.

The humor really didn't bother me as much as it seems to have bothered others, but I can see how people felt it was misplaced.I thought Carpenter did a really good job with the score. Overall, I liked it but wasn't blown away by it. If I had to rank them I'd probably go:

John Carpenter's Halloween
Halloween 2
Halloween 2018/Halloween 4
H20

I really like 3, but since it doesn't involve Myers I left it out. I didn't mention the others because they are awful. 4 would be higher, but that fucking mask just kills me. I'm not a fan of CGI touchups, but I'd be all in for a fix on that POS.

Last edited by Obey The D; 10-19-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-19-18, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I guess those pussies didn't bother reviewing Upgrade.
I think he meant they bailed after the twist, not the kill.
Old 10-19-18, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved it. A few nitpicks here and there but solid.

Should Michael have killed the baby? He is after all "pure evil"
Or that would be too much for audiences.
Old 10-19-18, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I still prefer them to be brother and sister, because otherwise why would he care. So I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear that line.
Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
The woman in the window was a cool kill and drew a good reaction in the theater, but I agree, it didn't really impact the movie other than to add to the body count. What was missing here was Michael doing any type of stalking like he did in the original. He just escaped and immediately started killing anyone he came into contact with...
I can understand why some people love that "sister" twist from the original Part II, but I've always been in the camp that disliked it from the moment it was revealed -- and it always hung over me whenever I'd revisit the original -- so having it "erased" in this new one was refreshing. Making them siblings in Part II did not enhance the original because it was never an intention to hold back that info or make subtle allusions to it when they made it, just in case it turned out to be successful.

Personally, I prefer Michael to just be a psychotic force that simply, in his own twisted mind, has to finish Laurie for the simple reason that he has to. Period. It doesn't need a Big Twist® to explain it and I think it's more realistic that way. He's nuts. He doesn't need her to be his sister. He just needs her to be his victim, just because. The fact that he kills more random people in the new movie makes sense to me, too, because in this "universe" he's been locked away, physically and mentally, for 40 years. When he gets his opportunity, all he can do is pick up where he left off in 1978, with four decades of pent up psychosis and rage to fuel it, which by sheer default means less stalking and more steamrolling this time around. Point A to Point B: kill everyone in between as needed.

Spoiler:
When the doctor twist happened, and especially when he put on the mask, I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough. I was so relieved that they didn't really go too far down that rabbit hole -- similar to my relief that the podcasters didn't last too long -- but I kept wondering if they could've written a more subtle plot device to move Michael from point A to B. If nothing else, I suppose it gave the filmmakers opportunities for a few more kills that weren't at Michael's hands, so there's that.
Old 10-19-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wish there would have been an explanation as to what happened to MM (if they're gonna erase the original part II) after the first film's timeline. So Loomis shoots the shit out of him in the original then we fast forward 40 years to now? So I assume the cops arrested MM, took him in for surgery to remove the 6 bullets form him, and he's been locked up ever since? I wish there would have been some added dialogue to the missing time after the first film.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 10-19-18 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-19-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Will there be a sequel?
Old 10-19-18, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Will there be a sequel?

Maybe. They have options for one. Also, if you stayed until the end of the credits you can hear Michael breathing.
Old 10-19-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 543 Likes on 338 Posts

I watched It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown last night when I got home from the theater and it was scarier than the new Halloween.
Old 10-19-18, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in agreement with most in here that the film got some things very right but many things very wrong.

Curtis should have been the sole focus because she owned this film.

Greer was either miscast or chose not to act. Her part was weak. Her "big moment" should have been bigger and less telegraphed. Also, it deflated the shot that came right after, with Laurie emerging from the shadows.

Score was sublime. Loved it.

As for the big doctor scene, someone I talked to after the show heard a rumor it was originally Laurie who killed the sheriff to ensure Michael wasn't captured so she could kill him herself. Still dumb but not nearly as monumentally stupid as what we did see.

Nods to the other films in the series were nice to see.

I still enjoy some sequels more than this one, and ignoring all of them wasn't the best choice but I see why they did it for this story.

78>II>H20>4>18>6>5>RZ>8>RZ 2

III isn't part of this series to me, but if it was I'd rank it just after 78.
Old 10-19-18, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Besides Curtis did anyone make a cameo that was in the 1978 movie?
Old 10-19-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Besides Curtis did anyone make a cameo that was in the 1978 movie?
No

She's the only one from the original cast.
Old 10-19-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Actually PJ Soles did. She was the voice of the teacher in Laurie's granddaughter's classroom. I guess it's a voice cameo? Of course also Nick Castle in his scenes. Upon further clarification it seems like his cameo was that of him tilting his head in the mirror reflection that Laurie shoots at along with the Shape's heavy breathing.
Old 10-19-18, 06:21 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Yep that's my order as well.
Old 10-19-18, 06:24 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Also... "shut up, Dave"... that kid was funny as hell. I laughed so hard at that line delivery.
Old 10-19-18, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"I'm over here clipping my dirty ass toenails..."

Everyone in the theater busted up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.