Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- News, rumors, etc.

Kinnaman is a forgettable actor in just about everything he does anyways. He won't be missed whatsoever.
Old 03-06-19, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Joel Kinnaman aint returning either

https://heroichollywood.com/suicide-...an-james-gunn/

Just give us a new cast with the exception of Robbie and Amanda Waller. I would have preferred Elba as John Stewart and have someone like Ethan Hawke or Clive Owen play Deadshot. Also, they should get someone like John Cena to play Rick Flagg. In the comic books, Flagg is a tough, big military guy, completely the opposite of Kinnaman
Elba will be in his 70s by the time Green Lantern gets off the ground.

In any case, if the rumors are true, they want a young John Stewart paired up with an older Hal Jordan.
Old 03-06-19, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Elba will be in his 70s by the time Green Lantern gets off the ground.

In any case, if the rumors are true, they want a young John Stewart paired up with an older Hal Jordan.
I imagine they'll go with John Boyega then
Old 03-07-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

I imagine they'll go with John Boyega then
I'm waiting on Jon Bernthal as Guy Gardner.
Old 03-07-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'm waiting on Jon Bernthal as Guy Gardner.
That is genius
Old 03-07-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Kinnaman is a forgettable actor in just about everything he does anyways. He won't be missed whatsoever.
I'll miss him. I think he's wonderful.
Old 03-07-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

‘Suicide Squad 2’ Exclusive: Meet the New Characters James Gunn Will Introduce in Sequel

With Idris Elba replacing Will Smith as Deadshot in The Suicide Squad, it’s now time for writer-director James Gunn to turn his attention to filling out the rest of the ensemble, and while we haven’t heard any names except for the obvious one below, we have learned which characters are expected to comprise the rest of the squad. A rewrite could, of course, change things, so keep in mind that none of this is confirmed, it’s just what we’re hearing from sources right now. Let’s dive in, shall we?

Ratcatcher, aka Otis Flannegan, is a man in the DC comics, though Collider has learned that the character will be gender-swapped and played by a woman in The Suicide Squad. Ratcatcher is is a super-criminal and one of Batman’s many enemies. She started out as an exterminator in Gotham City before turning to a life of crime, aided by an army of small rodents she can communicate with and control. She’s also a fan of poisonous gas.

Nanaue, aka King Shark, is a super-villain and humanoid shark whose father is believed to be the so-called Shark God, though others dismiss him as merely a savage mutation.

Polka-Dot Man, aka Mister Polka Dot, is a Gotham City super-villain and like Ratcatcher, a sworn enemy of Batman. He grows multi-colored polka dots on his body that he can turn into fireballs and other weapons, even though, for the most part, he’s embarrassed about his awkward abilities.

Peacemaker, aka Christopher Smith, is an agent of peace whose motives are driven by an extremist form of pacifism that makes him love peace so much he would kill for it.

Interestingly enough, Peacemaker is the role that sources say Gunn likes for Dave Bautista, the Guardians of the Galaxy star who defended the director when he was fired from Vol 3. by Disney chiefs Bob Iger and Alan Horn. It’s a funny coincidence, given that Bautista tried to play peacemaker (sort of) throughout that entire situation, and it’s no surprise that Gunn is eager to reward the actor for his unwavering loyalty.

Meanwhile, sources say that the new Squad script positions Deadshot as a surrogate father of sorts to Ratcatcher, though the role remains open to actresses of all nationalities and ethnicities.

There are a few other loose ends to tie up regarding the sequel. Will Margot Robbie reprise her role as Harley Quinn? You’d think that the actress would be under contract to return, and that Gunn would love to write for that character, so as of now, I think she’ll return, albeit in a limited capacity. Meanwhile, in its story about Elba, the Hollywood Reporter says its sources are conflicted about whether Joel Kinnaman‘s squad leader Rick Flagg will return for the sequel. I have no idea where things stand on that front. And finally, I haven’t heard anything about Viola Davis and her Amanda Waller character. I thought she’d be back for sure, but it’s been awfully quiet out there as far as her participation is concerned. I wonder what gives…

We should get some clarity soon from Gunn and DC Films chief Walter Hamada, as Warner Bros. is slated to release The Suicide Squad on Aug. 6, 2021. The first film, directed by David Ayer, grossed $746 million worldwide, but was reviled by critics to the tune of a 27% rotten rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
http://collider.com/suicide-squad-2-new-characters/
Old 03-08-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

King Shark could be cool to see on screen. Hopefully he’s done better than Killer Croc though as I felt that was a pretty lame design for that character in the Ayer film.
Old 03-08-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Joel Kinnaman aint returning either

https://heroichollywood.com/suicide-...an-james-gunn/

Just give us a new cast with the exception of Robbie and Amanda Waller. I would have preferred Elba as John Stewart and have someone like Ethan Hawke or Clive Owen play Deadshot. Also, they should get someone like John Cena to play Rick Flagg. In the comic books, Flagg is a tough, big military guy, completely the opposite of Kinnaman
Oh no, not him too! (Who is he?)

Loving the Elba recast, not sure what to make of the cast of characters ... Gunn is succeeding at intrigue!
Old 03-09-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
King Shark could be cool to see on screen. Hopefully he’s done better than Killer Croc though as I felt that was a pretty lame design for that character in the Ayer film.
He looked like a moldy version of Michael Chiklis's Thing from the first couple of Fantastic Four misfires.
Old 03-09-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
He looked like a moldy version of Michael Chiklis's Thing from the first couple of Fantastic Four misfires.
I know Croc has been portrayed as just a deformed guy with a skin condition like he was in Suicide Squad, but I’d prefer they went with the more reptilian design personally. Just a more interesting look if you ask me. I think if the filmmakers just went for it with a character like that or King Shark it would be cool. Then again I like some of the more outlandish characters like Clayface, Man-Bat, etc.
Old 03-14-19, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

I rather see Elba play BRONZE TIGER.
POLKA-DOT MAN! Now that is obscure C-List Bat-Villain. 1st Appearance Detective Comics #300.

Old 03-16-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EX. SHAZAM! PRODUCER TALKS JAMES GUNN ON BOTH THE SUICIDE SQUAD & GOTGV3

How excited should people be for Suicide Squad 2?

"First of all, we don’t call it Suicide Squad 2 ‘cause it’s a total reboot, so it’s The Suicide Squad and I think people should be extremely excited about it. It’s everything you would hope from a James Gunn script and I think that says a lot and that promises a lot and I know that we will deliver a lot."
https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ex-...e-squad-gotgv3
Old 03-16-19, 06:08 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by will travel
I rather see Elba play BRONZE TIGER.
POLKA-DOT MAN! Now that is obscure C-List Bat-Villain. 1st Appearance Detective Comics #300.
I concur. Elba should play Bronze Tiger.
Old 03-16-19, 06:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I think Elba could play anyone and kill it. I don’t really like Will Smith, the actor. Elba being Deadshot is great...
Old 03-16-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
EX. SHAZAM! PRODUCER TALKS JAMES GUNN ON BOTH THE SUICIDE SQUAD & GOTGV3

How excited should people be for Suicide Squad 2?

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ex-...e-squad-gotgv3
The article should be re-titled “Shazam Producer Spews Words, Says Nothing.”
Old 03-16-19, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'll miss him. I think he's wonderful.
I just find him bland. He’s normally serviceable in the parts he plays, but he’s not an actor who’s involvement really elevates a film.
Old 03-16-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Rebooting a 3 year old movie? DC has zero fucks to give. I guess this is the best way to wipe the slate clean of that abysmal Joker.
Old 03-16-19, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

At this point they may as well reboot Justice League with whoever they go with as the new Batman and Grant Gustin as Flash.
Old 03-17-19, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Rebooting a 3 year old movie? DC has zero fucks to give. I guess this is the best way to wipe the slate clean of that abysmal Joker.
I thought the next abysmal Joker was supposed to clean the slate of the previous abysmal Joker?
Old 03-17-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
At this point they may as well reboot Justice League with whoever they go with as the new Batman and Grant Gustin as Flash.
Or a 2 part CoIE and just introduce all the multiverse versions of the heroes and whoever gets good audience reaction can stay and everyone else can go.
Old 03-18-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There was this nugget in a story with the debut of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood poster reveal:

Quentin Tarantino’s “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” debuted its teaser poster today with Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio looking retro cool. The film tells the tale of the Manson Family killing of actress of Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie) set against other crazy events in the summer of 1969.

At the legendary Smokehouse eatery last night Tarantino was a part of the Horror Director crowd as a guest of Director Mick Garris’s bi-annual Masters of Horror dinner. The gathering included James Gunn, who was congratulated on being rehired by Disney for “Guardians of the Galaxy 3.” He’s off to South America to shoot the reboot of “Suicide Squad.”
https://www.showbiz411.com/2019/03/1...tease-new-film
Old 03-19-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Scientists Create Giant Sentient Ass in Lab to Replace Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/s...-harley-quinn/
Old 03-20-19, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It just occurred to me that we won’t get this golden nugget on the movie poster:

2uicide Squad

(or did we already do that joke?)
Old 03-29-19, 04:52 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.