Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- News, rumors, etc.

Old 03-28-21, 09:26 AM

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post

I have always liked Idris Elba, but in recent years his output has been less than stellar to me. At times he seems to begrudge his rise to fame and takes on material which he later rants against. Hopefully this is a return to form, but the trailer didnt do much in that regard.
His movie career couldn't keep up with his TV career. He has movie star qualities, but in big budget productions he's only a supporting actor. Thor, Prometheus, Pacific Rim, Star Trek Beyond or Hobbs & Shaw, than most of those movies aren't that good. The Dark Tower was more of an Last Action Hero Remake than a proper adaptation and while he was the best thing in the movie, it was just stupid to cast a black actor, since there were no sequels it didn't matter though. Bastille Day, Mandela, The Mountain Between us, No Good Deed, he really doesn't know how to pick them.
Luther and The Wire is really the only thing were he shines and the material is great as well. I hope The Suicide Squad can break the spell.
Old 03-28-21, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,232 Likes on 883 Posts

Idris Elba would have been my first choice for Hal Jordan; sort of his Pacific Rim character with a GL ring.
Old 03-28-21, 01:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 453 Likes on 403 Posts

a darker, rated R version of Guardians of the Galaxy? hell yes!
Old 03-28-21, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Had no enthusiasm whatsoever for the first SS, and still have no interest in ever seeing it.

Despite (or maybe, because of?) this looking like little more than an R rated GotG, my interest is piqued.

When Starro was revealed it pretty much sealed the deal.

I may just blind buy this eventually, as I'm getting kind of tired of watching "event" stuff on this computer monitor- and have no plans to hit a theater anytime this year.
Old 03-28-21, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 421 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I was cringing at the lines about license plate and covering mouth. It felt like something a 8 year old would come out with and not some homicidal maniac.
I dunno, seemed like exactly the kind of thing that would come out of Deadpool's mouth to me, and DC has tried position her as the female Deadpool, so seems totally in character to me.
Old 03-28-21, 10:30 PM

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Idris Elba would have been my first choice for Hal Jordan; sort of his Pacific Rim character with a GL ring.
I suspect his age could be the reason why he isn't getting the big break. He's nearly 50 and that's not the age to start a franchise, at least when you aren't The Rock.
Old 03-28-21, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

Loved the trailer.

Can't wait for Starro!
Old 03-29-21, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Eh, trailer didn't do it for me. I'll still see the film, though. Cool on Stallone voicing King Shark.
Never saw the first one and don't really plan to but I am with you that looked terrible. Can't believe so many are excited for it.

Old 03-29-21, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,864 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I finally watched the first movie this week. Was really curious to see if it was as bad as its reputation suggested. It certainly wasn’t good, but I wouldn’t describe it as unwatchable. It had a few fun bits at the beginning especially. But everyone who complained ad nauseum about Leto’s Joker was right. He was very, very bad and annoying in a very small role.
Old 03-29-21, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I think it looked a lot like Birds of Prey: dumb, but a lot of fun. And I have faith that James Gunn can pull this off. I will be checking it out for sure.
Old 03-29-21, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

Old 03-29-21, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 684 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I finally watched the first movie this week. Was really curious to see if it was as bad as its reputation suggested. It certainly wasn’t good, but I wouldn’t describe it as unwatchable. It had a few fun bits at the beginning especially. But everyone who complained ad nauseum about Leto’s Joker was right. He was very, very bad and annoying in a very small role.
It has some really cool things in it (I loved the effects on Enchantress's transformation, for example), Will Smith and Margot Robbie are great, the Batfleck appearance is fun and actually makes the DCEU feel somewhat connected and many of the characters get good moments along the way. It just dissolves into a CGI mess at the end and that really hurts the whole thing.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (03-29-21)
Old 03-29-21, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 694 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I think it looked a lot like Birds of Prey: dumb, but a lot of fun. And I have faith that James Gunn can pull this off. I will be checking it out for sure.
I actually am probably one of the few who liked Birds of Prey.

I think this looks infinitely better though. James Gunn is perfect for something like Suicide Squad. This movie looks so mush more fun than the Ayer one did.

The Ayer film had some good things in it, but I definitely feel like this will be a better movie. I can’t wait to see characters like King Shark and Starro on screen more. Even a silly character like Polka Dot Man looks like he’s going to be fun here.
Old 03-29-21, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 606 Likes on 427 Posts

This looks like a lot of fun and has a Guardians vibe to it which I'm down for.

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
It has some really cool things in it (I loved the effects on Enchantress's transformation, for example), Will Smith and Margot Robbie are great, the Batfleck appearance is fun and actually makes the DCEU feel somewhat connected and many of the characters get good moments along the way. It just dissolves into a CGI mess at the end and that really hurts the whole thing.
I agree with this but my problem lies in the fact that the entire film is built on a faulty premise. We have a world destroying villain hellbent on destroying the planet akin to Thanos or Darkseid and the best plan is to recruit some thugs and not call Batman or Superman? They overshot the scope and stakes of the film big time. And therein lies the problem with building these movie universes. If the movie stood on it's own in a world without the Justice League, then sure I'll buy that premise. Since that's not the case and it's a part of the DCEU, this Suicide Squad team has little reason to exist for this mission. Hell Batman is in this very movie to remind us that they do exist in this world. And it all goes back to planning out the DCEU which as we all know didn't happen. They were throwing shit at a wall to see what would stick.
Old 03-29-21, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,864 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Far be it for me to explain a movie as deeply stupid as Suicide Squad, but they explain that there is no Superman, that Batman has no super powers and that they want to have some "Meta-humans" that they can control - - though admittedly only Killer Croc, El Diablo and Enchantress would seem to be the only squad members with super-powers.
Old 03-29-21, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 694 Likes on 569 Posts

I think it was that Superman wasn’t around during Suicide Squad because that movie came after his death in Batman V Superman. They probably could have called in Batman, but he’s not a super powered being.
IBJoel (03-29-21)
Old 03-29-21, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Received 479 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
This looks like a lot of fun and has a Guardians vibe to it which I'm down for.

I agree with this but my problem lies in the fact that the entire film is built on a faulty premise. We have a world destroying villain hellbent on destroying the planet akin to Thanos or Darkseid and the best plan is to recruit some thugs and not call Batman or Superman? They overshot the scope and stakes of the film big time. And therein lies the problem with building these movie universes. If the movie stood on it's own in a world without the Justice League, then sure I'll buy that premise. Since that's not the case and it's a part of the DCEU, this Suicide Squad team has little reason to exist for this mission. Hell Batman is in this very movie to remind us that they do exist in this world. And it all goes back to planning out the DCEU which as we all know didn't happen. They were throwing shit at a wall to see what would stick.
Superman was dead and Batman isn't exactly a guy who does government work. But otherwise yeah. The idea of the team was to be able to take out a Superman-level threat, but no one on it could ever hope to even touch Superman. The easy out is to just have Joker be the villain and the Squad is assembled because they've all worked with him in some capacity.
Old 03-29-21, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Birds of Prey is EASILY my favorite non-MCU superhero movie of the last 10 years. It's a total blast and Robbie is perfection.
Old 03-30-21, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

I think this looks infinitely better though. James Gunn is perfect for something like Suicide Squad. This movie looks so mush more fun than the Ayer one did.

The Ayer film had some good things in it, but I definitely feel like this will be a better movie. I can’t wait to see characters like King Shark and Starro on screen more. Even a silly character like Polka Dot Man looks like he’s going to be fun here.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't like Birds of Prey. I think it's a bit thin as far as plot goes, but a hell of a fun time. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I did not really enjoy the first Suicide Squad movie. Robbie is great, didn't care for much else. And I fucking hate Jared Leto's Joker.
Old 03-30-21, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,028 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Superman was dead and Batman isn't exactly a guy who does government work. But otherwise yeah. The idea of the team was to be able to take out a Superman-level threat, but no one on it could ever hope to even touch Superman. The easy out is to just have Joker be the villain and the Squad is assembled because they've all worked with him in some capacity.
Yeah, that doesn't stand up to scrutiny, because if Superman went evil they were beyond screwed. This is another case where it's probably better for this to have been in an alternate universe without trying to tie it into the Snyderverse (similar to WW1984, which as I said before would've still been bad, but you wouldn't be thinking about the continuity holes while it was bad). But there's no Justice League at that time.

I did like that they leaned a little into the ridiculousness of relying on a guy with boomerangs and a guy "who can climb anything." But they didn't lean into it enough, and this new movie does.
IBJoel (03-31-21)
Old 03-30-21, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 606 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Far be it for me to explain a movie as deeply stupid as Suicide Squad, but they explain that there is no Superman, that Batman has no super powers and that they want to have some "Meta-humans" that they can control - - though admittedly only Killer Croc, El Diablo and Enchantress would seem to be the only squad members with super-powers.
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Yeah, that doesn't stand up to scrutiny, because if Superman went evil they were beyond screwed. This is another case where it's probably better for this to have been in an alternate universe without trying to tie it into the Snyderverse
Pretty much what fujishig said. Even if Superman is dead, it just doesn't hold water. So there's a doomsday villain ready to obliterate the Earth (or whatever lame plot it was) and Batman's gonna sit back and crack a cold one instead because... government? Come on. Also if Superman is dead, that means timeline-wise, it's after Batman v Superman. Therefore, Wonder Woman is a known entity. Not only that, but at this point Robin is dead, right? So the Bat-verse is bigger than we're shown. Was there more than one Robin at this point if Batman has been at it for 20 years? Is Nightwing out there doing his thing? I'm going to assume 'no' on this last one since he wasn't recruited to help with Steppenwolf.

The whole setup just crumbles under any modicum of scrutiny. It would have been better if either A.) the villain wasn't so powerful with overzealous plans, or B.) it took place in the multi-verse where it's clear there are no other Superheroes.

Old 03-30-21, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Pretty much what fujishig said. Even if Superman is dead, it just doesn't hold water. So there's a doomsday villain ready to obliterate the Earth (or whatever lame plot it was) and Batman's gonna sit back and crack a cold one instead because... government? Come on. Also if Superman is dead, that means timeline-wise, it's after Batman v Superman. Therefore, Wonder Woman is a known entity. Not only that, but at this point Robin is dead, right? So the Bat-verse is bigger than we're shown. Was there more than one Robin at this point if Batman has been at it for 20 years? Is Nightwing out there doing his thing? I'm going to assume 'no' on this last one since he wasn't recruited to help with Steppenwolf.

The whole setup just crumbles under any modicum of scrutiny. It would have been better if either A.) the villain wasn't so powerful with overzealous plans, or B.) it took place in the multi-verse where it's clear there are no other Superheroes.
Then you start down the rabbit hole of "what the hell was Aquaman or any of the Atlanteans doing while the Kryptonians were invading" (I'm still not sure what WW was doing but I think maybe they addressed that somewhere) and what about that dude that shows up at the end of Snyder Justice League, and why didn't the Avengers show up when Galactus tried to eat the Earth that first time?
Old 03-30-21, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't even blink at the concept of Superman not showing up in Suicide Squad. Because that's how comic books work. By that logic, every single DC comic book with a big bad guy should have Superman show up to save the day. Of course that's not going to happen.
Old 03-30-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I don't even blink at the concept of Superman not showing up in Suicide Squad. Because that's how comic books work. By that logic, every single DC comic book with a big bad guy should have Superman show up to save the day. Of course that's not going to happen.
They reference at the very beginning of Suicide Squad that Superman is dead (they show a guy selling shirts, and even a funeral). In fact, Waller says something like "The world changed when Superman flew through the sky. And then it changed again when he didn't. And that's why I'm here."
Old 03-30-21, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
They reference at the very beginning of Suicide Squad that Superman is dead (they show a guy selling shirts, and even a funeral). In fact, Waller says something like "The world changed when Superman flew through the sky. And then it changed again when he didn't. And that's why I'm here."
No, I got that. I'm just saying in general I don't get hung up on why the big heroes don't show up in the smaller side-stories.
fujishig (03-30-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.