Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Star is Born (Bradley Cooper, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: A Star is Born (Bradley Cooper, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
9.68%
22.58%
38.71%
12.90%
16.13%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

A Star is Born (Bradley Cooper, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-19, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts
Re: A Star is Born (Bradley Cooper, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

A Star is Born was supposedly better than Bohemian Rhapsody and the Best Buy steelbook exclusive is easier to find than the Bohemian Rhapsody steelbook?

Old 02-28-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

FYI

This is back in theatres starting tomorrow as an " Encore Edition"

It will have 12 more minutes of new footage. It will only play for 1 week.

With this being on home video already and quite long as it is, probably unlikely anyone in this forum will see this new extended cut. But just wanted to throw it out there.

The running time is now 2 hours and 27 minutes.

So I guess we'll be seeing a double dip of the movie in the near future.
Old 02-28-19, 08:22 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, might check it out if I can use A-List.

I’m watching this movie as I type this post. I still think it’s the best movie I’ve seen released last year (so far, I haven’t seen everything I wanted to see just yet).
Old 03-01-19, 03:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Wife and I watched the other night, very good film, especially the music and Gaga’s performance. But in our opinion it had a lot of slow or somewhat meandering scenes. A better director might have turned this into a BP winner.
Old 03-04-19, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 03-04-19, 04:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

for the additional scenes to slightly expand the Dave Chappelle scenes, but not to include the little bit of dialogue that was present in the trailer was a lost opportunity .
Old 03-10-19, 06:34 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Saw this on dvd last night. Theatrical cut.

I agree with many here that I was frequently bumped by the fact that there really is no personality like Cooper’s character in the world of music right now. But it was pretty good. I still prefer the 1954 version, and I haven’t seen the Streisand version. But from what I know of it this film seemed to be far more inspired by that version.

One major missed opportunity: They never clarify her full name. The cast list says her dad’s name is Lorenzo Campano, so I guess she’s Ally Campano. But when she becomes a star they start marketing her as just ALLY. The Judy Garland version has a great scene where she gets her first paycheck and discovers her name has been changed by the studio without anyone even telling her. It would have been so simple to clearly show that she was Ali Campano and then when she sees the big billboard it’s like, “Bam! Yeah kid, you’re ALLY now.”
Old 03-10-19, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

I wonder if there's a name-changing scene on the cutting-room floor. I agree that was good in the Garland version, but it probably wouldn't ring true today. Plus there are SO MANY scenes where a singer gets his name changed for marketing purposes that maybe it was just too cliched to do here. I mean, not even in old movies. It's in Bohemian Rhapsody. And it's in the new trailer for the upcoming Elton John biopic as well.
Old 03-14-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
The Ringer brings up a good point : You pay over $100 a pop to go see a Jackson Maine concert, you wait patiently as he doesn't play his biggest best song, saving it for an amazing, mind-blowing encore, then instead he brings out his unknown girlfriend and they sing a song that nobody has ever heard before, and then they leave! The audience should have been PISSED!
Haha, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that while watching the movie!

I saw this over the weekend for the first time and I liked it, although like so many people here have already noted, it's quite formulaic. I also disagree with the decision to have Ally's musical arc take her to the pop world as it then seems that she and Jackson could have parallel careers. Like others, this is the first version of the story that I've seen, but from what I understand of previous versions, a significant part of the story is the protege eclipsing the mentor. When they play such different styles of music with completely different fan bases, that shouldn't have been a problem.

Finally, while the emotional delivery and punch of "Shallow" is undeniable, am I the only one who thinks the lyrics are kinda dumb? The metaphor is, pardon the pun, rather shallow.
Old 03-14-19, 12:24 PM
Banned

There are certain super fans that are thrilled when bands play unreleased songs. I don’t think fans would be disappointed. The film’s intent, of course, is that the song is SO GOOD that it overcomes anyone and everyone’s objections.
Old 03-14-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

^ Well, yeah, it's obviously a case of artistic license, and not a realistic depiction of what would happen. We're just being tongue-in-cheek here. Much like how the heroic deeds in an action film would likely result in real-life headlines like "Costumed idiots cause millions of dollars in damage" or "Reckless police pursuit snarls afternoon commute".

But yeah, I do think fans of "Jackson Maine" would not be impressed. The majority of fans at a concert want to hear The Hits, and when the band says "This is a new song from our upcoming album", the lines at the restroom grow exponentially. Even if the song played is indeed dramatic, or a future hit. There's a review (it might even be on this very site) of the recent release of an early B-52s concert. The reviewer notes the age of the concert by the lukewarm reception when the band plays "My Own Private Idaho", indicating it was not a big hit at the time.
Old 03-14-19, 04:47 PM
Banned

There’s a big difference between “Here’s one off our new record” vs. “Here’s one we haven’t released yet.”

REM has/had songs they only did live. Fans would go crazy for that and hunt for bootlegs and stuff. Same with Dave Mathews Band.
Old 03-16-19, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

If any of you have the BD or digital copy, watch the 30 minute behind the scenes feature. Some interesting stuff like how Bradley Cooper took 6 months of voice and guitar lessons to refine his skills for the movie. It’s essentially an actors round table with Cooper, Gaga, Elliott, Dice and some of the song writers as well.

They also show the screen tests with Cooper and Gaga.
Old 03-16-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
There’s a big difference between “Here’s one off our new record” vs. “Here’s a piece of tail I’m trying to bag, if ya’ll could act like you enjoy this ...”

REM has/had songs they only did live. Fans would go crazy for that and hunt for bootlegs and stuff. Same with Dave Mathews Band.
Fixed for a more Mabuse-like effect ...
Old 04-09-19, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good movie, and a little overrated.
I find it kinda amazing this was up for BP.

Starts strong, but ends up repetitive...a one-note.
More editing would have helped.

Cooper's direction has aways to go yet.
The movie had too much of an MTV vibe at times.

Gaga was, for the most part, very good.
However, I did catch her acting a few times.

Sam Eliot has rarely been better.
He took over every scene he was in.