Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Star is Born (Bradley Cooper, 2018) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: A Star is Born (Bradley Cooper, 2018) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
9.68%
22.58%
38.71%
12.90%
16.13%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

A Star is Born (Bradley Cooper, 2018) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 10-26-18, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: A Star is Born (Bradley Cooper, 2018) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Saw this last night. Solid B film, but nothing more. Cooper is great in the movie, and Gaga is pretty good. The sound editing is phenomenal. The first act is fantastic, great pace, great everything. The second act really loses thread and direction and the third act is just dreadful. Still expect it to get a ton of Oscar noms, and Shallow definitely wins for best original song.
Old 10-26-18, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Saw this last night. Solid B film, but nothing more. Cooper is great in the movie, and Gaga is pretty good. The sound editing is phenomenal. The first act is fantastic, great pace, great everything. The second act really loses thread and direction and the third act is just dreadful. Still expect it to get a ton of Oscar noms, and Shallow definitely wins for best original song.
Pretty much exactly how I see it.
Old 11-13-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
This movie was all over the place. I thought the frenetic pace and how fast the narrative moved the movie forward did the film a disservice. It never gives the audience a chance sink into the characters. It felt like from the moment she sang at the drag bar until she was a worldwide pop star happened in about 2 seconds. There was no time to breathe. The whole side story of Ally selling out her music for some kind of pop star fame with the manager starting out as a nice guy and then turning out to be a corporate shill was so cliche. Not only that, but none of that was ever resolved. She just kept moving forward and they never had any kind of resolution to the choices she was making and the fact that she wasn't being her true self. They build that storyline up and then it just disappears. It reminded me of that cornball episode of Saved By The Bell when the gang forms a band in their garage with the best of intentions and then when they make it big Zack turns into a sellout because of his manager. But at least in the tv show they pay it off when Slater gets injured and everyone realizes they lost sight of themselves. I thought the interscope rep character was a one note cardboard cut out. Jack kills himself because of this insignificant weasel and the narrative leads us to believe that nothing has or will come of it. He's a slasher movie villain without the end reveal where he gets exposed. And then theres the suicide. I thought it was inauthentic, I thought it was played for the pure melodrama of it all, and didn't really earn itself authentically and truthfully. He kills himself because of a 2 minute speech from that small time slimebag. After he had just gotten sober. I didn't buy it. I also thought the Grammy scene was awful. It was just so over the top. I also thought Coopers voice suffered from the same thing Joaquin Phoenix's voice did in Walk the Line where the low gravely voice just felt so forced. Thats said if you set aside that the entire movie was chaos, it did have some great scenes. The scenes between Cooper and Sam Elliot were heartbreaking. I wish, more of the movie was about that relationship. Also Gaga was absolutely transcendent from beginning to end. Both acting and singing. I wouldn't be surprised if the Academy has already engraved her name on the statue. She's gonna coast to a Best Lead Actress win.

Anyhow I was pretty disappointed. I'd give it a 3/5 just for Gaga and Sam Elliot. Or else it would have been lower.
I agree with this review (saw the movie yesterday).
Old 12-16-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
100% agree. Saw this the other night and not once did I think or care to think who he was supposed to be modeled after. Enjoyed this quite a bit for it not being my type of music (guitar playing aside). The songs were easy to enjoy and fit the movie. I thought they were 100% foreshadowing the end when she
Spoiler:
said she would not get on the motorcycle if he was drinking. Thought for sure he would take it out and crash and die.
. So what did happen shocked me a bit.
Outside the
Spoiler:
billboard of the nooses in the opening scene of the film, seen though Jackson's window,
I thought the glaring piece foreshadowing was when
Spoiler:
Jackson was in rehab, outside speaking to his Counselor. There, he tells his Counselor that he attempted suicide when he was 13, trying to hang himself via a Ceiling Fan but ultimately the fan broke.
Old 12-16-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts

I dug the film but agree about the pacing/editing. It was kind of a mess. The first act was slow and deliberate. The second act was rushed and the ending just came out of nowhere.

That being said, Cooper and Gaga were great and the music was solid. The secondary cast was equally good.

As for Maine's musical style, it was a little bit rock, a little bit country, a little folksy and maybe even had a touch of the blues. I think it was meant to be ambiguous and I liked it for that. Either that or it could be seen as a singer who branched into many genres during his long career.

The whole side story of Ally selling out her music for some kind of pop star fame with the manager starting out as a nice guy and then turning out to be a corporate shill was so cliche. Not only that, but none of that was ever resolved. She just kept moving forward and they never had any kind of resolution to the choices she was making and the fact that she wasn't being her true self. They build that storyline up and then it just disappears.
I really dug the film, but this is the biggest issue I had with the film. She's into rock/country/folk in the first act and her first taste of fame and she's ready to go full on pop star? This reeked of "we have Lady Gaga as our lead so we have to give her fans "Lady Gaga" instead of taking the character into a more natural direction. They still could have gotten the "she's not being true to herself" plot thread across in some other way.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
As far as him committing suicide so quickly as it seems in the movie, that was something that was always in his head. He even tried to do it as a youngster. The promoter was basically the one that brought those demons back to the surface. In his mind, he could not and did not want to see himself holding his wife back. However, that is not how she truly felt about him. It really sucks to think about people you know or know of that have taken their lives over things that others feel they could and should have helped them through. Once those thoughts are in your head, it is hard to completely get them out of there. I know.
At first I felt that it seemed like a quick way to end what was already a long movie, but Jackson was clearly setup as a tortured soul dating back to a suicide attempt in his youth. It was rushed but at the same time suicides in real life aren't neat and tidy. Look at Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington. So thinking about it in that regard, something as basic as a spineless manager finally pushing him over the edge works, IMO.
Old 12-25-18, 09:37 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,015 Likes on 849 Posts

A Star is Born (2018)...what incredible movie making and powerful acting. Just a great, but heart breaking movie. full of emotion, little humor, but mostly great music and a tragic love story. i always liked Cooper, the actor, but this is some transcendental shit. and the fact he wrote all the songs with Gaga, except one, i believe, and of course sang and sang incredible. just great. such talent and hopefully only beginning of directing beautiful works. top 5 for sure of 2018. Dice Clay, Chappelle, Elliot who is always incredible and never more so here were all so great and just brilliant, how the hell did he know casting. and Gaga equally knocks this role on it's ass. this will be nominated and i think will win a couple Oscars.

almost hesitant to see other 2 previous incarnations, even though they got accolades as well for fear it wouldn't compare to this. right up there with Crazy Heart in this genre for me.

Old 12-26-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 739 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
almost hesitant to see other 3 previous incarnations, even though they got accolades as well for fear it wouldn't compare to this. right up there with Crazy Heart in this genre for me.
Fixed
Old 12-26-18, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
A Star is Born (2018)...what incredible movie making and powerful acting. Just a great, but heart breaking movie. full of emotion, little humor, but mostly great music and a tragic love story. i always liked Cooper, the actor, but this is some transcendental shit. and the fact he wrote all the songs with Gaga, except one, i believe, and of course sang and sang incredible. just great. such talent and hopefully only beginning of directing beautiful works. top 5 for sure of 2018. Dice Clay, Chappelle, Elliot who is always incredible and never more so here were all so great and just brilliant, how the hell did he know casting. and Gaga equally knocks this role on it's ass. this will be nominated and i think will win a couple Oscars.

almost hesitant to see other 2 previous incarnations, even though they got accolades as well for fear it wouldn't compare to this. right up there with Crazy Heart in this genre for me.

If you gave this version 4.5 stars you will give the Garland / Mason version 7 stars. It is THE definitive version of the movie, and it's not even up for debate.
Old 12-26-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 739 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
If you gave this version 4.5 stars you will give the Garland / Mason version 7 stars. It is THE definitive version of the movie, and it's not even up for debate.
I prefer the 1930s version myself. Less bloated.
Old 12-26-18, 08:22 PM

huh. will have to look into...
Old 01-15-19, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had this pre-ordered on VUDU...watched it twice today. Amazingly good movie.

FYI....the soundtrack is on iTunes for $6.99....had to pick that up too...Shallow is a great great song.

Hoping this wins a few awards...deserves them.
Old 01-16-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,203 Posts

God dammit. I think a radio host spoiled this for me this morning.
Old 01-16-19, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,691 Likes on 4,567 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
God dammit. I think a radio host spoiled this for me this morning.
It's a pretty well-known story. That's sort of like saying somebody spoiler Romeo and Juliet for me.
And there was a cheeky spoiler of this with the Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga introduction at the Golden Globes :
Spoiler:
"He discovered her in a supermarket parking lot and she discovered him in the garage"
Old 01-16-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts

Watched it again last night. Still my favorite film of the year, and there will never be a time, that I don't love listening to Shallows.
Old 01-17-19, 10:53 AM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I prefer the 1930s version myself. Less bloated.
So it sounds like it is actually up for debate!
Old 01-27-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,691 Likes on 4,567 Posts

Life imitates art last night at the Park Theater in Las Vegas :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UfhgkbXCYPA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-27-19, 11:28 AM

this movie was simply an amazing piece of cinema.
Old 01-28-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts

Great video. Cooper and Gaga need to admit they are in love with each other
Old 01-28-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts

damn... she was crying. Cooper wins!
Old 01-28-19, 10:57 AM

Received 4,813 Likes on 3,258 Posts

I thought it was sweet how at the SAG Awards last night she was essentially hugging/shaking hands with everyone who walked up to the stage.
Old 02-19-19, 11:32 AM

Received 4,813 Likes on 3,258 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D-Sv6fu-udU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-20-19, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 242 Likes on 213 Posts

Rented this yesterday and I was quite impressed. Bradley Cooper really disappeared in the role for me for the first time and his direction was quite fluid. I finally got around to watching the Streisand version a few months back and grew quite bored with it. While this version is a bit too long the emotions felt very genuine and the music was well handled. Side Note: One of the side benefits of the slowdown of physical media is that I don't seem run into the stripped-down "Rental Copies" of blu-rays anymore; this had all the features (though fewer than the old days). There's a nice half-hour "Making of" and some song "demos".
Old 02-20-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was reading this morning Lady GooGoo has dumped her fiance.
5 buckaroos says she latches onto Ol' Brad fairly quickly.
Old 02-23-19, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

This movie was all over the place. I thought the frenetic pace and how fast the narrative moved the movie forward did the film a disservice. It never gives the audience a chance sink into the characters. It felt like from the moment she sang at the drag bar until she was a worldwide pop star happened in about 2 seconds. There was no time to breathe. The whole side story of Ally selling out her music for some kind of pop star fame with the manager starting out as a nice guy and then turning out to be a corporate shill was so cliche. Not only that, but none of that was ever resolved. She just kept moving forward and they never had any kind of resolution to the choices she was making and the fact that she wasn't being her true self. They build that storyline up and then it just disappears. It reminded me of that cornball episode of Saved By The Bell when the gang forms a band in their garage with the best of intentions and then when they make it big Zack turns into a sellout because of his manager. But at least in the tv show they pay it off when Slater gets injured and everyone realizes they lost sight of themselves. I thought the interscope rep character was a one note cardboard cut out. Jack kills himself because of this insignificant weasel and the narrative leads us to believe that nothing has or will come of it. He's a slasher movie villain without the end reveal where he gets exposed. And then theres the suicide. I thought it was inauthentic, I thought it was played for the pure melodrama of it all, and didn't really earn itself authentically and truthfully. He kills himself because of a 2 minute speech from that small time slimebag. After he had just gotten sober. I didn't buy it. I also thought the Grammy scene was awful. It was just so over the top. I also thought Coopers voice suffered from the same thing Joaquin Phoenix's voice did in Walk the Line where the low gravely voice just felt so forced. Thats said if you set aside that the entire movie was chaos, it did have some great scenes. The scenes between Cooper and Sam Elliot were heartbreaking. I wish, more of the movie was about that relationship. Also Gaga was absolutely transcendent from beginning to end. Both acting and singing. I wouldn't be surprised if the Academy has already engraved her name on the statue. She's gonna coast to a Best Lead Actress win.

Anyhow I was pretty disappointed. I'd give it a 3/5 just for Gaga and Sam Elliot. Or else it would have been lower.
we saw his last night. Your review is the first the capture my thoughts exactly. Only thing Id disagree with was the voice aspect. By the end I could wait for it to finish, and I was verbally annoyed when it finished and ranted to my wife about the conclusion with the manager.
Old 02-23-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 227 Likes on 173 Posts

Here's a guying comparing every version of A Star is Born. I had no idea that Judy Garland was the lead in the 1954 version of the film.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.