Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Chronicles of Narnia being made into new movies by Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-03-18, 09:39 AM

Break out the Turkish Delight, Netflix is taking on The Chronicles of Narnia.

The streaming service is adapting the beloved fantasy franchise into new films based on the seven fantasy novels that launched with C.S. Lewis’ 1950 novel The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

“It is wonderful to know that folks from all over are looking forward to seeing more of Narnia, and that the advances in production and distribution technology have made it possible for us to make Narnian adventures come to life all over the world,” said Douglas Gresham, stepson of C.S. Lewis, in a statement released by Netflix. “Netflix seems to be the very best medium with which to achieve this aim, and I am looking forward to working with them towards this goal.”

It’s not yet clear how many pieces of content will be produced and what form they will take. Producer Mark Gordon describes “multiple productions” and “both stellar feature-length and episodic programming.” Gordon added, “Narnia is one of those rare properties that spans multiple generations and geographies.”

The Narnia books have been adapted several times before, most recently by Disney for three films — 2005’s The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, 2008’s Prince Caspian, and 2010’s The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. A film version of the fourth book in the saga, The Silver Chair, was supposed to start filming this year under director Joe Johnston with Gordon producing, but it sounds like this deal is effectively overwriting that one.

“C.S. Lewis’ beloved Chronicles of Narnia stories have resonated with generations of readers around the world,” said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer, Netflix. “Families have fallen in love with characters like Aslan and the entire world of Narnia, and we’re thrilled to be their home for years to come.”

One immediate concern of fans after the announcement was made was whether the Netflix versions would water down the books’ Christian themes — a frequent criticism of the titles distributed by Disney. “I do not trust Netflix to do justice for the series! They will be trying to take God out of it like other companies have [for other] Christian movies,” wrote one.

The move comes as HBO goes into the final season of the biggest televised fantasy title of all time, Game of Thrones, and Amazon is working on a prequel adaption of The Lord of the Rings.
https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/03/chronic...arnia-netflix/
Old 10-03-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Chronicles of Narnia being made into new movies by Netflix

I'd be cool with them finishing the series out, but I see no need to revisit material from the first two books again.

Old 10-03-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I'd rather have seen The Silver Chair get done rather than redo what has already been done.
Old 10-03-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought the third movie in 3D but never watched it. Really enjoyed the first movie, but I think the problem with children's movie series like this is that the kids (mine in particular) grew up between the first movie's release (they were 10 and 12) to when the third movie came out. At least with Harry Potter, the cast was getting older and the tone of the movies were more adult to where several of the later movies were PG-13.
Old 10-03-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Break out the Turkish Delight, Netflix is taking on The Chronicles of Narnia."

In the book, Turkish Delight tasted great at the first bite, got less tasty as you ate more of it, made you feel sick, and was addictive. It was a metaphor for consorting with evil that I understood when I was in fourth grade.

As an American, the stuff in the book is the only Turkish Delight I've ever seen. So the only association I have with Turkish Delight is that of evil.

Who wrote that headline?
Old 10-03-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
As an American, the stuff in the book is the only Turkish Delight I've ever seen...
I feel like Turkish Delight is fairly readily available in American, even in the midwest where I grew up, although it's not commonly bought. Check your local grocery.

Otherwise, this looks like an interesting assortment:
Amazon Amazon

It's basically candy. The White Queen's was probably enchanted, but what you describe fits most candy: best at first bite, is addictive, can make you feel ill if you eat too much, etc.
Old 10-03-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For Chronicles of Narnia, you'd likely want to pump them out fast so the kids don't age too much, or possibly film them out of order a bit. I could also see them doing it more like a "TV series," like A Series of Unfortunate Events, where each book is told over a few episodes.
Old 10-03-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Break out the Turkish Delight, Netflix is taking on The Chronicles of Narnia."

In the book, Turkish Delight tasted great at the first bite, got less tasty as you ate more of it, made you feel sick, and was addictive. It was a metaphor for consorting with evil that I understood when I was in fourth grade.

As an American, the stuff in the book is the only Turkish Delight I've ever seen. So the only association I have with Turkish Delight is that of evil.

Who wrote that headline?
I never made that connection at all. All I know is I wanted to try Turkish Delight as a kid so much. It was one of the things I remembered most from the series.
Old 10-04-18, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
I feel like Turkish Delight is fairly readily available in American, even in the midwest where I grew up, although it's not commonly bought. Check your local grocery.

Otherwise, this looks like an interesting assortment:
https://www.amazon.com/Delight-Marma...dp/B071691N5V/

It's basically candy. The White Queen's was probably enchanted, but what you describe fits most candy: best at first bite, is addictive, can make you feel ill if you eat too much, etc.
Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
I never made that connection at all. All I know is I wanted to try Turkish Delight as a kid so much. It was one of the things I remembered most from the series.

I've been eating these . . .

. . . since childhood and assumed because Nestle made them they were probably available around the globe, even in the U.S., but now that I reflect on it, in all my near-constant travels there over the decades, I've never actually seen them on display.

Even though its processed nature probably means it's not 100% authentic Turkish Delight -- which is also a fairly common sight up here -- Big Turk tastes very much the same, only coated with chocolate to make it much more evil. You just haven't lived until you've had one. Or the real stuff, for that matter.
Old 10-04-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I'd be cool with them finishing the series out, but I see no need to revisit material from the first two books again.
Agreed.