Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The French Dispatch (2021, D: Wes Anderson)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The French Dispatch (2021, D: Wes Anderson)

Old 10-20-21, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,312 Likes on 956 Posts
Re: The French Dispatch (2021, D: Wes Anderson)

Originally Posted by dex14
I saw this tonight. As a big fan of Anderson, this just didnít work for me.
Grace Randolph wasn't a big fan, either. She didn't care for the unnecessary topless scenes. I'm kinda bummed because I was looking forward to another one of his films.
Old 10-23-21, 12:27 PM

Received 4,736 Likes on 3,210 Posts

I thought this was is a great review/discussion video and touches on a lot of the problems I had with the movie.

Old 10-23-21, 01:19 PM

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I know theaters only, but any idea when might be streaming? Looks so damn good. And I love everything Wes.
I set a timer for typing the sentence you wrote vs. asking the question on Google. Guess which took less time? Seriously, why do you keep doing this? It's getting old and frankly, it comes off as padding your post count or something.
The following 3 users liked this post by story:
MR Round (10-29-21), Toddarino (10-24-21), tommyp007 (10-23-21)
Old 10-28-21, 04:48 PM

This opens wide this weekend.
Old 10-30-21, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,505 Likes on 4,448 Posts

I am still not 100% sure how I feel about this after seeing it last night. I liked the first story, which felt self contained and made narrative sense. Thought the second was scattershot and kind of boring despite the nice performances by McDormond and Chalamet. Weird that they never had Chalamet speak French when heís fluent. The third segment was so manic and honestly I began to fade as it went on and on. Itís not a bad movie, but Iíd probably rank it second to last on my list of my favorites of his film, just ahead of Darjeeling.

Also when weíre these stories supposedly written? Because both the first with Tilda Swindon and the third with Jeffrey Wright are told years later in retrospect but those stories seem to be told around the same time that Murrayís character death. Weíre they in the same issue that we see Murray putting together, or weíre they reminiscing after his death? Like a lot of this movie itís a little disjointed and confusing.
Old 11-02-21, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,069 Likes on 745 Posts

This is definitely "lesser Anderson", but I think I'm just so happy to have actual movies that matter being released to theaters again that I was completely delighted by pretty much every single fussy, well-mannered second.

The format of the film (a tribute to magazines like the New Yorker) allowed Anderson to basically make a giant list of subjects/themes/styles he was interested in and throw them all into the same movie. On one hand it's frustrating because there's so much packed into it that you just want it to slow down and linger a bit longer on the good stuff. On the other hand if you don't like what you're seeing, you know it's going to change gears in a matter of minutes.

I don't think it all comes together as a coherent whole, but there are moments and passages that I absolutely loved. I kind of wish we got a whole movie devoted to the running of the magazine with Bill Murray, et al. I thought the Benicio del Toro segment was pretty great. Easily my favorite section of the movie. It also may have been able to support an entire feature. Jeffrey Wright was fantastic in his story, even it was the most manic sequence of a manic movie. I didn't love the middle section with Chalamet and McDormand, but there's so much loving craft on the screen at all times that it's hard not to be engaged.

Overall, maybe a disappointment? But anyone who's an Anderson fan should find something to enjoy here. As long as he feels like putting one of these out every few years, I'll happily watch them.
Old 11-04-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 463 Likes on 322 Posts

Saw this last night, and while I definitely enjoyed it (most for all the details on the screen to savor), I agree that it was rather disjointed, with fairly one-dimensional characters - even though all the actors did marvelous work - especially Jeffrey Wright. I liked the first segment the most, then the 3rd and the 2nd one was largely forgettable.

It was certainly the most "Wes Anderson" movie he's ever done - right down to the literal dioramas he created.
Old 11-09-21, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

I got back from this last night and had to recover.The French Dispatch is Wes Anderson brutally bludgeoning you around the head and shoulders for two hours with his pure Wes Anderson-ness. Someone took the Wes Anderson knob cranked it to 100 and then broke it off. If you're looking for a movie with twee, cutesy-poo mise en scŤne: have I got a film for you! (Also: keep your eyes open for an appearance by Bill Murray playing the same gloomy character he's played in Wes Anderson's movies since Rushmore!)

Last edited by PatD; 11-11-21 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-17-21, 04:03 PM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I love Wes Anderson. This will be an instant day-one purchase in December.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (11-17-21)
Old 11-18-21, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I had low expectations since I rarely like movies that are a bunch of shorter movies, but I liked it a lot. It is somewhere towards the bottom of Wes Anderson movies for me, in the 7-9 range, but I am a big Wes Anderson fan so that’s still good (and it is ahead f the only one I don’t like, Life Aquatic). I especially liked the first longer one with Benicio del Toro et al.
Old 12-14-21, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 110 Posts

It's here for all to enjoy, especially Old Boy.

Old 12-14-21, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 412 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
(Also: keep your eyes open for an appearance by Bill Murray playing the same gloomy character he's played in Wes Anderson's movies since Rushmore!)
He was so great in Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic. Every film since then heís been wasted playing completely unmemorable side characters.

Old 12-17-21, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 110 Posts

This was ok. Cool to look at but didnít have much a story, and like someone said above a whole movie about Bill Murray and the people working at the magazine would have been better.

Sedoux looked amazing in this. Dex14 should have gotten a photo taken with her at his early screening.

I was surprised how much French was spoken in the film. Even though itís in the title, didnít expect that.
Old 02-25-22, 09:07 AM

This is now up on HBO Max.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (02-26-22)
Old 02-26-22, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,070 Likes on 882 Posts

I thought this was pretty good, with the first segment definitely the most interesting. The animated sequence in the third part felt like a cool nod to Eurocomics, as did the covers in the end credits. Not really an Anderson fan per se, but I do try to watch all his films.
Old 02-26-22, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

"...it refuses to provide any sort of narrative tissue or emotional connection with the characters. Itís all arch attitude, snide-ironic voice-overs and deadpan expressions, and after a while it makes you intensely angry. That or your spirit wilts or you become weak in the knees.

The French Dispatch is hardcore, doubled-down Wes, you bet. It led me to wonder, in fact, if he might be going through a phase vaguely similar to Jean-Luc Godardís Marxist-Maoist revolutionary period (Ď68 to Ď79). I ask because itís a pure head-trip objet díart ó thereís no sense whatsoever that Dispatch is looking to engage on any kind of semi-accessible level, even to the extent of reaching people like me. Itís so mannered and wry and rapid-fire ironic that it sucks the oxygen right out of your lungs."

Can't really say it better. It's just not accessible at all. First story is decent, Lea Seydoux's naked body and some semblance of an interesting story. Second story .. felt utterly pointless. How much longer are we going to pretend Timothťe Chalame can act. Third story I just gave up and started falling asleep. It IS funny though to watch beloved directors like Wes Anderson and Malick get so far up their own asses that they almost deliberately try to be as inaccessible and pretentious as possible.
Old 11-20-22, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,131 Likes on 818 Posts

I see this is available on Hulu now.