Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Smallfoot (2018) V: Tatum, Corden, Zendaya, Common, James, DeVito, Rodriguez

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 07:47 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uBw6EvIxIS8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

An animated adventure for all ages, with original music and an all-star cast, “Smallfoot” turns a myth upside down when a bright young yeti finds something he thought didn’t exist—a human.

News of this “smallfoot” throws the simple yeti community into an uproar over what else might be out there in the big world beyond their snowy village, in an all new story about friendship, courage and the joy of discovery.

​“Smallfoot” stars Channing Tatum (“The LEGOŽ Batman Movie,” the “Jump Street” films) as the yeti, Migo, and James Corden (“Trolls,” “The Emoji Movie”) as the Smallfoot, Percy. Also starring are Zendaya (“Spider-Man: Homecoming”), Common (“Selma”), LeBron James (upcoming “Space Jam 2”), Gina Rodriguez (“Jane the Virgin”), Danny DeVito (“The Lorax,” Oscar nominee for “Erin Brockovich”), Yara Shahidi (TV’s “Black-ish”), Ely Henry (TV’s “Justice League Action”), and Jimmy Tatro (“22 Jump Street”).

​“Smallfoot” is directed by Karey Kirkpatrick, Annie Award-winning director of “Over the Hedge” and Annie nominee for the screenplays for “Chicken Run” and “James and the Giant Peach” and co-directed by Jason Reisig. The screenplay is by Kirkpatrick and Clare Sera, screen story by John Requa & Glenn Ficarra and Kirkpatrick, based on the book Yeti Tracks, by Sergio Pablos.

The film is produced by Bonne Radford (“Curious George”), Glenn Ficarra (“Storks,” “This is Us,”) and John Requa (“Storks,” “This is Us”). Serving as executive producers are Nicholas Stoller, Phil Lord, Christopher Miller, Jared Stern, Karey Kirkpatrick, Sergio Pablos, Courtenay Valenti, and Allison Abbate. The creative team includes editor Peter Ettinger, and composer Heitor Pereira.

​“Smallfoot” is set to debut in theaters September 28, 2018.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6182908/

Currently 73% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/smallfoot
Old 10-07-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Smallfoot (2018) V: Tatum, Corden, Zendaya, Common, James, DeVito, Rodriguez

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

SMALLFOOT (PG) - Thought-provoking themes, Looney Toons-style action, music and impressive visuals combine to create a very good film for the whole family.

Migo (Tatum Channing) has a problem. He’s a good guy who wants to follow in his dad’s (Danny Devito) very large footprints, he follows all the rules, and faithfully trusts in all the accepted beliefs of his society as curated by the authoritative Stonekeeper (Common). Then he encounters something unexplainable - a creature of mythology so horrifying, no one believes him except for a fringe group of conspiracy theorists.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Migo and his people are Yetis (Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Abominable Snowpersons) who live in isolation from the rest of the world, and are blissfully ignorant of the larger world at the foot of their mountain, hidden by a perpetual layer of clouds that cover the entire mountain range.

The “horrifying creature” is a Smallfoot, or human, whose plane accidentally crashes into the Yetis’ world, but all evidence of the human’s presence is erased before Migo can show it to his people. Migo joins forces with the tiny group of Smallfoot-believers, led by Meechee (Zendaya), to travel to the world at the foot of the mountain to prove that the Smallfoot in fact exists, although this proof would call into question all the solid-rock beliefs the Yeti hold dear.

Meanwhile in the human world, TV personality Percy (James Corden) is attempting a comeback in a world where people are more interested in viral video oddities rather that real life animal shows. He and Migo cross paths, Migo takes him back to the Yetis’ world, and all sorts of belief systems start to crumble.

Smallfoot is a terrific-looking, sometimes toe-tapping, action-filled animated adventure with a message. The vocal cast is spot on, I absolutely LOVED the re-written version of the Bowie/Queen classic “Under Pressure” that Percy sings, and the rap talents of Common are showcased in one song that acts as a turning point for the whole film. This is one of the better animated efforts I have seen in a marketplace sometimes marked by mediocrity.

I’m giving Smallfoot a solid 4 out of 5 lightsabers, and I would love to see more of this quality family fare in the future.

NOTES FOR PARENTS (MILD SPOILERS): Smallfoot is rated PG for thematic elements and cartoony action violence. The idea of questioning established belief systems may go over the heads of the youngest viewers. The word “crap” is said once. Several characters, both Yeti and human, are shown being “injured” and banged around in humorous ways, but bounce back quickly without apparent consequence. One character offers to buy another a drink, and that character is later seen shakily trying to drink from a large mug. Tranquilizer darts are used for comical effect a couple of times. Percy suffers from spending too much time in a thin oxygen environment and must be carried back down the mountain. The story of how the Yetis end up in their own isolated world is depicted by stone carvings, which show them being hunted and killed by humans. A group of Yetis are pursued by police, a helicopter and men on snowmobiles.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: A mid-credit scene makes a brief and silly callback to a scene earlier in the film. There is no after-credit scene.

LIKE and SHARE the review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES with family and friends.
Old 10-07-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Smallfoot (2018) V: Tatum, Corden, Zendaya, Common, James, DeVito, Rodriguez

My son and I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. I will definitely get it when it drops on 4K.
Old 12-01-18, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Finally got around to seeing this at a budget theater with my kids. Real solid movie with a good message. Thought it might do better at the box office but this movie fits with the winter season so should be popular when it hits video/digital this month.