Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (2021, D: Sollima) S: Michael B. Jordan

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (2021, D: Sollima) S: Michael B. Jordan

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Re: Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (2021, D: Sollima) S: Michael B. Jordan

Haven’t a lot of Clancy movies just been extremely loose adaptions from his books?

Jack Ryan, arguably Clancy’s most popular character, is completely different in the movies than he is in the books. Hell, Ryan is basically a complete different character in each different movie too.

As long as the movies are fun political thrillers I don’t really care.
Old 02-10-21, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
If this is the same Without Remorse I read back in the day (one of only a small number of Clancy books I read, and I read this one twice as I liked it a lot) there is an intense torture scene where one of the villains in the book gets his comeuppance but the scene as described in the novel might be a bit rough/intense to put on the screen. Anyway, it sounds like it deviates a lot from the novel but I will pass judgement on the movie when it eventually hits cable/streaming.
Do you mean the
Spoiler:
pressure chamber scene?
, cause - fucking yikes.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Haven’t a lot of Clancy movies just been extremely loose adaptions from his books?

Jack Ryan, arguably Clancy’s most popular character, is completely different in the movies than he is in the books. Hell, Ryan is basically a complete different character in each different movie too.

As long as the movies are fun political thrillers I don’t really care.
I seem to recall Red October was pretty close but after that they seem to have just used the books as "lore" and then told the story they needed to tell.
Old 02-10-21, 07:22 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes, Red October was pretty accurate.

In the novel Without Remorse he has no family and his girlfriend gets killed by gang members and/or drug dealers and he takes revenge on them. That’s it. Oh and there’s a digression where he gets sent to rescue Vietnam POWs from a Vietnamese prison.
Old 03-03-21, 11:07 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

In a war-torn region of Syria, an elite team of Navy SEALs led by Sr. Chief John Kelly (Michael B. Jordan) rescues a CIA operative taken hostage by ex-Russian military forces. Three months later, in apparent retaliation for his role in the mission, Kelly’s pregnant wife Pam (Lauren London) is murdered in the U.S. by a squad of masked Russian assassins. Despite being shot multiple times himself, Kelly manages to kill all but one of the attackers before being rushed to the hospital.

Meanwhile in Washington D.C., Kelly’s friend and former SEAL team member Lt. Commander Karen Greer (Jodie Turner-Smith) meets with CIA agent Robert Ritter (Jamie Bell) and Secretary of Defense Thomas Clay (Guy Pearce) to discuss their response options. Leaked news of Russia’s unprecedented attack on American soil has caused the already-strained relations between the two nations to sour further. If something isn’t done soon the result could be a full-scale war.

Healed from his injuries, a rogue Kelly tracks down the corrupt Russian diplomat who issued the passports to his wife’s murderers, and forces him at gunpoint to give up the name of the surviving assassin. Sent to prison for the crime, Kelly bargains his way out by revealing the escaped operative is one Victor Rykov (Brett Gelman), an ex-Special Forces officer currently hiding in Murmansk, Russia.

With Secretary Clay’s reluctant approval, Kelly joins Greer and Ritter on a top-secret mission to capture Rykov and bring him back to the U.S. to face justice. But en route to Murmansk, their plane is shot down by the Russian Air Force and plummets into the Bering Sea. Using their SEAL skills to survive the crash, they eventually make their way to Rykov’s location, only to discover that the murder of Kelly’s family was part of a vast international conspiracy orchestrated by powerful political figures. Torn between personal honor and loyalty to his country, and with the fate of nations hanging in the balance, Kelly has no choice but to expose the truth, no matter the cost. The explosive origin story of action hero John Clark, one of the most popular characters in author Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan universe, Without Remorse is directed by acclaimed filmmaker Stefano Sollima (Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Gomorrah, ZeroZeroZero).
Old 03-03-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Hmm, will they allude to Jack Ryan in anyway?
Old 03-03-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

With the exception of that lame “you better hope he doesn’t survive” line, this looks pretty sweet! I’m a sucker for these types of movies so I’ll watch it as soon as it drops.
Old 03-03-21, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

This should be awesome. It's co-written by Taylor Sheridan and the director of Sicario 2. I'm in!
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

That looked pretty badass. Really looking forward to it.

I didn't realize the character of John Clarke was actually originally named John Kelly as the trailer referred to him as. I had to look it up that he later changes it since this is his origin story.
Old 03-03-21, 12:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I know the novel pre-dates John Wick but it seems to hit a lot of the same story beats.
Old 03-03-21, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I know the novel pre-dates John Wick but it seems to hit a lot of the same story beats.
I read the book back when it first came out (I once had a job that allowed me to read 6 hours out of 8, so I could indulge in long novels). It was probably my favorite Tom Clancy of those I read; I had read one or two of the Jack Ryans but I'd kind of glaze over some of his infinite detail, if you know what I mean). It has the "Revenge" and "Military Action" beats but tries very hard to be detailed and credible, which is not something the "Wick" films worry about. I was kind of hoping it would spin-off from "Clear and Present Danger" with Willem Dafoe reprising the role, than it was slated as a Keanu Reeves project, though I don't recall who was lined up to direct. I surprised it's taken this long, and I'll be more surprised if it resembles the book, or what I remember of it.
Old 03-03-21, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I didn't realize Taylor Sheridan wrote the script. Looks great.
Old 03-03-21, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

John Wick: Bourne Again
csant (03-04-21)
Old 03-05-21, 10:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

My sister loves Michael B. She and husband both technically illiterate and have a Firestick they have yet to set up. I keep telling her and then showed her this, but they won’t do it. Such wusses...
Old 04-06-21, 11:21 AM

Old 04-07-21, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

The director discusses updating the novel. Of course, the villains are now Russians, which seems a safe 'go-to" for bad guys at the moment (see "Nobody").

Stefano Sollima Modernizes 'Without Remorse' - Variety
Old 04-28-21, 01:06 PM

Drops on Amazon this Friday (Thursday 8pm eastern).

Reviews seem mixed.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tom...ithout_remorse
Old 04-28-21, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ even the positive reviews aren't so glowing... damn.
Old 04-28-21, 07:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

That’s a shame.
Old 04-29-21, 09:20 PM

Really awesome, well directed action... but not much else.

Jordon is great in the role and I hope this does get to continue in the already announced (and mid-credit teased) Rainbow Six movie.

It would be cool if they somehow were able to have crossover appearances between Krasinski’s Jack Ryan and Jordan’s John Clarke in either TV or film format.

I may have missed it if it was mentioned in the film, but I had read the Greer character here is supposed to be Jim’s niece.
devilshalo (04-30-21)
Old 04-29-21, 09:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I’m not excited for this movie, despite really liking Jordan and his acting. It probably it would have been better if they introduced this Clark in the Ryan series, then migrated him into his own thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by E Unit:
B.A. (05-09-21), OldBoy (04-30-21)
Old 04-30-21, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I may have missed it if it was mentioned in the film, but I had read the Greer character here is supposed to be Jim’s niece.
Pearce (Sec. Clay) mentions it when he first talks to her.
Old 04-30-21, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Thought this was pretty cool. Not as brutal as the book but I liked Jordan in the role. I think the final fight in the building could have been a bit more involved (it didn't seem like the "end") but overall I enjoyed it.

And I've said before that Rainbow Six is my favorite Clancy book by far and something I've always thought should be a movie so I'm pretty excited to see it teased.
Old 04-30-21, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Kinda of interesting... trying to figure out the timeline if this can crossover with the Krasinski Jack Ryan series. Never read the books so I'm only familiar with the Ritter character from Clear and Present Danger. Interesting to see if they continue the story knowing Ritter turns his back on Clark. I assume that this Ritter gives the confession to Cutter whom he asks for a favor?
Old 04-30-21, 11:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Both this the Jack Ryan aeries are both Amazon, so I’m guessing with we’ll see Jordan in the series or Krasinski will end up in a future Clark movie.

This was okay, a bit off the mark for me. I read all of Clancy’s novels back when they got released, and this updated story was definitely not the same as the book, save for the character, and the fact that his wife died. I guess basically at this point Amazon paid for the rights to use the character names for the most part. Not so much their stories.

And as much as I like Jamie Bell, seeing him in this as Ritter was weird to me. He’s an asshole Billy Elliot.
Old 05-01-21, 01:56 AM

I don’t think it’s so much a matter of them both being Amazon, who are just distribution, but both being under Paramount / Skydance. Ultimately, it would be them who decide if a crossover were to happen. There are some other production companies involved. I’m not sure if that matters at all. But I’m pretty sure the decision just lies with Paramount. Both being on Amazon just makes it easier.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.