Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Book (2018) D: P. Farrelly, S: Ali, Mortenson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Green Book (2018) D: P. Farrelly, S: Ali, Mortenson

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
Re: Green Book (2018) D: P. Farrelly, S: Ali, Mortenson

Watched it on a screener. Excellent movie. Definitely would put this in the crowd-pleasing category. Nothing challenging about it. This is the kind of movie that you recommend to old people who don't go to the movies anymore. Not surprised it won the GG considering the nominations but no away it wins the Oscar.

Let me add that i really don't like this idea that people will excavate everybody's social media accounts to discover offensive and inappropriate comments, and then that is supposed to taint any artistic endeavor that they have created or contributed to.
Old 02-23-19, 08:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Wow. what a great movie. knew i would love it from first few minutes. only some do that. so light and breezy and fun and thought provoking. just incredible acting, directing (who you'd have thunk that the guy who gave us Dumb and Dumber could direct with sweetness and deft to make both comedy and drama work in unison), music, certainly. just great all the way around. and i think Viggo deserves the Oscar much more than Ali. he was this movie and he was amazing. Ali was good, sure, but Oscar good? not this time...

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-24-19 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We watched it last night. Loved it...
Old 02-25-19, 09:33 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Man, I can't get the love for this movie at all. Ali was fine (as always) but otherwise it was another ham-fisted, by the book, feel good 'movie of the week' with an offensive and racist message that was trite thirty years ago.
Old 02-25-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

People just look for things to be offended by, I think they get off on it. It was a charming, well acted, and funny movie.
Old 02-25-19, 09:57 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
People just look for things to be offended by, I think they get off on it. It was a charming, well acted, and funny movie.
This isn't a movie like 48 Hours or Lethal Weapon, where a black dude and a white dude team up and do stuff. For Green Book, racism is the primary theme of the movie, and it handles that theme in an offensive way.
Old 02-25-19, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
This isn't a movie like 48 Hours or Lethal Weapon, where a black dude and a white dude team up and do stuff. For Green Book, racism is the primary theme of the movie, and it handles that theme in an offensive way.
how is it offensive? seems pretty realistic to me...
Old 02-25-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This was a fine, enjoyable, entertaining film. I don't get all these comparisons now to "Crash" because this is nowhere near as bad a BP win as 2006.

Offensive, though? Apparently nobody can touch ANYTHING involving race or racism unless the storyteller is black, a woman, or another POC. White comedy dude? GET HIM!
Old 02-25-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I don't get all the criticism and outrage either. This movie was told from the perspective of Tony Lip aka Vallelonga not Dr. Don Shirley. Was it a 100% accurate depiction of their relationship and the events that took place on that road trip? Probably not, but this is not a documentary of that event in their lives.
Old 02-26-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Ok, let me sum this film up.

Racism and Shirley are simply the MacGuffins so that the White Character's "redemption" can be highlighted.

TRUE....It was NOT about Shirley. That is why he is one of the MacGuffins and Black folks need to realize this. No, this was about the Tony told from his family's point of view.. That said, this film falls into the "Magical Negro" category in that we see how a Black person and their struggles are used to make a White person a "better human". Does it make it less of "Magical Negro" film because it was based on a true situation? No. It does not.

You can argue all you want...but deep down you'll know I'm right.
Old 02-26-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 02-26-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Racism and Shirley are simply the MacGuffins so that the White Character's "redemption" can be highlighted.

TRUE....It was NOT about Shirley. That is why he is one of the MacGuffins and Black folks need to realize this. No, this was about the Tony told from his family's point of view.. That said, this film falls into the "Magical Negro" category in that we see how a Black person and their struggles are used to make a White person a "better human". Does it make it less of "Magical Negro" film because it was based on a true situation? No. It does not.

So, the "Magical Negro" here has no growth? The way I'm seeing it, both of these characters were flawed people and they BOTH became "better humans" in one sense or another by the end. And yes, more focus was on Tony Lip because it was his story being told.

Why can't people just watch a movie and be entertained and stop trying to shoehorn everything in some "racial education" box? I know racism exists. I know the world is still a fucked up place in many ways. If this film had been made more accurately, or less "white savior-y" - as everyone continues to proclaim - then it wouldn't be the same movie, and maybe not as good.

I'm Sicilian. This film was loaded with stereotypes left and right but you don't hear Italians making a big deal about it.
Old 02-26-19, 03:51 PM

are you being serious or sarcastic with this statement?
Old 02-26-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Thanks for posting that. While I didn't find the movie to be explicitly racist I did find it painfully old-fashioned and corny. That combined with Mortensen's overly broad performance and the fact that it deadass turns into a KFC commercial half-way through the movie were all strikes against it for me.
Old 02-27-19, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Thanks for posting that. While I didn't find the movie to be explicitly racist I did find it painfully old-fashioned and corny. That combined with Mortensen's overly broad performance and the fact that it deadass turns into a KFC commercial half-way through the movie were all strikes against it for me.
Except that the chicken scene REALLY HAPPENED. Tony Vallelonga talked about it during the interviews with his son, Nick (the co-writer) and director Farrelly talks about it in this interview:

https://www.slashfilm.com/green-book...tor-interview/

They went on the road a year and the first leg of the journey was the first two months up to Christmas Eve, but we took parts from all these stories: RFK, the chicken scene believe it or not, YMCA, the bar where he gets beat up. All these things were stories that were spread out over that year and we found the order for it.
The Kentucky Fried Chicken scene is described in detail by Tony Lip in these audio tapes. He said, “Yeah, I got a bucket of chicken. He was like, ‘I don’t want it.’ What are you talking about? You people love fried chicken. He was offended by it. He said, ‘You know, Tony, not everybody eats the same stuff.’” So we put that in but there was also the scene where they eat at a place where they serve them chicken. That happened too and that was actually a much longer scene that we ended up trimming. It went on where everyone was eating with a fork and knife and finally Tony picks up this chicken and starts munching on it and the whole place goes nuts and starts doing it. It was just one too many chicken scenes so we ended up trimming it.
Old 02-27-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by islandclaws
So, the "Magical Negro" here has no growth? The way I'm seeing it, both of these characters were flawed people and they BOTH became "better humans" in one sense or another by the end. And yes, more focus was on Tony Lip because it was his story being told.
Shirley's growth literally takes a back seat to Tony's growth. And rightfully so because as both you and I have stated... THIS WAS TONY'S STORY not Shirley's. The mistake many Blacks are making is expecting this film to be about Shirley; and I believe that is where the confusion is rooted. It's about a White Man becoming a better human based on his dealings with a Black man aka "Magical Negro Film".

Why can't people just watch a movie and be entertained and stop trying to shoehorn everything in some "racial education" box? I know racism exists. I know the world is still a fucked up place in many ways. If this film had been made more accurately, or less "white savior-y" - as everyone continues to proclaim - then it wouldn't be the same movie, and maybe not as good.
Hey, your PRIVILEGE is showing in that you are picking and choosing where, when, and how you get a lesson in White Racism. I mean shit...this film is using Racism as a back drop to Tony's growth. There is no shoehorning here. That's like saying systemic antisemitism was shoehorned into Schindler's List...and I'm sure NO ONE would ever say that because that would be disrespectful right? ...yes it would.

I'm Sicilian. This film was loaded with stereotypes left and right but you don't hear Italians making a big deal about it.
If Italians don't care about being Stereotyped that's their/your right and their/your battle to not fight. It doesn't mean everyone feels the same or wants to sit back and take it. Not even sure Blacks are complaining about Black stereotypes in this film but since you brought stereotyping up...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-27-19 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-27-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Shirley's growth literally takes a back seat to Tony's growth. And rightfully so because as both you and I has stated... THIS WAS TONY'S STORY not Shirley's. The mistake many Blacks are making is expecting this film to be about Shirley; and I believe that is where the confusion is rooted. It's about a White Man becoming a better human based on his dealings with a Black man.

Hey, your PRIVILEGE is showing in that you are picking and choosing where, when, and how you get a lesson in White Racism. I mean shit...this film is using Racism as a back drop to Tony's growth. There is no shoehorning here. That's like saying systemic antisemitism was shoehorned into Schindler's List.

If Italians don't care about being Stereotyped that's their/your right and their/your battle to not fight. It doesn't mean everyone feels the same or wants to sit back and take it.
Old 02-27-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by OldBoy
are you being serious or sarcastic with this statement?
Very Serious.
Old 02-27-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Here's a better explanation to all of the controversy

The Backlash To Green Book, Explained

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/201...y-family-story
Old 02-27-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

If you want a broader context for why some folks are mad about this movie, let Seth Meyers explain:

Old 02-27-19, 04:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

White Savior or Driving Mr. Shirley. The filmmakers probably didn't mean to come across as racially insensitive and condescending, but a lot of my friends under the age of 40 aren't exactly impressed by it. Personally, I agree with them. It's corny as heck while not saying anything remotely new or interesting about race relations. And everyone points out the white savior theme going on. We all agree that Viggo and Ali are awesome, but the film is quite flawed.
Old 03-02-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It’s hard to hate this movie because of Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen. They both make the best of the well meaning, but simple minded and cliched material they have to work with.

2/5
Old 03-02-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Really? ? I mean I agree it was old fashioned and clichéd but it was a fun entertaining movie. I would only give that sort of rating to a barely watchable POS.
Old 03-02-19, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Really? ? I mean I agree it was old fashioned and clichéd but it was a fun entertaining movie. I would only give that sort of rating to a barely watchable POS.
I haven't seen this yet, but you did hate Roma, so...
Old 03-02-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
From what I can tell, he's a very tough critic on these kinds of movies and mainstream movies in general. It's his opinion. he didn't like it, so be it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.