Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (2019) -- S: Max Zhang, Michelle Yeoh, Dave Baustista

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-13-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Trailer:

After defeated by Ip Man, Cheung Tin Chi (Zhang) lives a depressed life and stays low profile. While Tin Chi tries to stay out of trouble, he gets himself into a fight with the foreigner Davidson (Bautista), big boss behind bar district. Tin Chi fights hard with Wing Chun and earns respect.

Directed by Yuen Woo-Ping

This is a spinoff of Ip Man 3.

Well Go USA bought the rights, so this will eventually get a release in the States.
Old 09-13-18, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (2018) -- S: Max Zhang, Michelle Yeoh, Dave Baustista

A spin off?!

Okay, I'll watch it.
Old 12-26-18, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (2018) -- S: Max Zhang, Michelle Yeoh, Dave Baustista

Some posters posted by Michelle Yeoh recently:

New trailer:

Again, this just opened in theaters in Asia last week. Don't expect a U.S. release until 2019.
Old 12-27-18, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still havenít seen Ip Man 3. I tried watching it on Netflix, but was appalled by the dubbing. So I stopped watching after 10 minutes, and hope to find the subtitled version.

Didnít even know about this spinoff. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-27-18, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
I still havenít seen Ip Man 3. I tried watching it on Netflix, but was appalled by the dubbing. So I stopped watching after 10 minutes, and hope to find the subtitled version.

Didnít even know about this spinoff. Thanks for sharing.
Dubbing? I just checked Netflix. It's in Cantonese with subtitles. There's multiple audio tracks on Netflix.
Old 03-07-19, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

In Theaters April 12!

Legendary action director Yuen Woo-Ping draws on a stellar cast (Michelle Yeoh, Dave Bautista, Tony Jaa, and Max Zhang) to create a hard-hitting martial arts blast worthy of its place in the celebrated IP MAN universe. Following his defeat by Master Ip, Cheung Tin Chi (Zhang), tries to make a life with his young son in Hong Kong, waiting tables at a bar that caters to expats. But it’s not long before the mix of foreigners, money, and triad leaders draw him once again to the fight.
Please change the year of this thread title to 2019.
Old 04-04-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

FYI this opens in theatres next Friday in some locations. Check your local listings.

I found an AMC about 20 miles away playing it, so I booked a ticket.
Old 04-12-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This opens today in limited theatres.

I was planning to see this today, but I just got back into town from a 3-day trip out of state and I was freaking exhausted, so I had to cancel my ticket. I'll re-schedule for probably Sunday or Monday.

Can a mod change the year in the thread title to 2019?
Old 04-13-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I borrowed the BD from a friend and I thought it was pretty decent except for one scene which had too much wire work. The story itself was not bad at.
Old 04-13-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where is out on blu? I checked my usual Asian sites and don’t see it available yet.
Old 04-13-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Where is out on blu? I checked my usual Asian sites and donít see it available yet.
DDDHouse.com

It was released in Asia March 14th.
Old 04-13-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to wait until the BD is released by Well Go. It will eventually end up in the $7 bin at Walmart.
Old 04-13-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
DDDHouse.com

It was released in Asia March 14th.
Thanks D! This is the first place I always go to for my HK blu's. I looked it up but it didn't pull up anything. I think I'll buy version.
Old 04-15-19, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just got back from a matinee. It was pretty good. The fight scenes were pretty well directed and the moves that Zhang had were pretty awesome and had power.

The story is relatively simple and is sort of a throwback to the old school martial arts movies of the 70s and 80s. It's a standalone story, but they did show a few flashbacks to IP Man 3, which introduced Zhang's character Tin Chi. But, you won't have trouble following it if you didn't see that movie.

Tony Jaa's role is basically a cameo, but he does have 1 big fight scene with Zhang. He doesn't say a word in this movie. And Michelle Yeoh is still pretty awesome at 57. She had one big hand to hand combat scene with swords.

As I said, this is playing very few theatres, so I don't expect many here to go running out to see it.

But, you can check this link to see if it's playing anywhere near you:

https://www.ipmanlegacy.com/tickets/
Old 04-15-19, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, none near me, but my blu has already shipped. Sounds like it’s worth getting.
Old 05-03-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (2019) -- S: Max Zhang, Michelle Yeoh, Dave Baustista

A sequel has reportedly been greenlit:

Max Zhang to return for ?Master Z: Ip Man Legacy? Part II | cityonfire.com

and for those who are interested, this comes on BD July 23rd from Well Go USA.
Old 07-22-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (2019) -- S: Max Zhang, Michelle Yeoh, Dave Baustista

FYI, this is coming on Blu-Ray and DVD and digital on Tuesday.

I also noticed that on iTunes they are getting a 4K version with extras for the same price as the Blu-Ray which is $15. I'm now leaning to getting the 4K version. But I think the 4K version might be an iTunes exclusive. I've never seen Vudu carry 4K Well Go movies.

Obviously you need an Apple TV 4K, which I do have.
Old 07-24-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ended up getting the 4K digital from iTunes, which has all the same extras the the BD for $14.99.

I went to a couple of Best Buys and neither had this in stock. So I just said screw it, I'll save shelf space and get a nice picture upgrade as well.
Old 07-24-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up the 4K version as well. Already have my HK blu on the shelf.
Old 08-19-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

FYI this is currently available to stream for free on the Hoopla library streaming service.