Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Henry Cavill out as Superman.. Michael B. Jordan being considered to replace? [FALSE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Henry Cavill out as Superman.. Michael B. Jordan being considered to replace? [FALSE]

Old 09-12-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/09/12/...dan-dc-movies/

The DC movie franchise is lackluster already, but is trying to go the PC route by casting Michael B. Jordan really the best way to here? Not that he's not a good actor, but he looks nothing like Cavill and Superman has an iconic identifiable image which clearly would not work with Jordan in the role.
Old 09-12-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Henry Cavill out as Superman.. Michael B. Jordan being considered to replace? [FALSE]

Jordan's way to good of an actor to have to put up with the backlash that would come from this. Not a good idea at all.
Old 09-12-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

re: Henry Cavill out as Superman.. Michael B. Jordan being considered to replace? [FALSE]

I ain't buyin' this story.
Old 09-12-18, 12:27 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

There’s a report that Jordan’s being considered for Superman? Hoo boy, regardless of the report’s veracity, the next few months of discussion should be interesting.
Old 09-12-18, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Talk about potentially breaking the internet... The racists that couldn't handle a black Jimmy Olsen or Johnny Storm would lose their shit.
Old 09-12-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems odd that Zack Snyder's net worth is only $28 million. He's made so many movies.

I didn't like Man of Steel or Batman v SUperman. But I liked Justice League.
Old 09-12-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want more Killmonger...forget this nonsense.
Old 09-12-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I want more Killmonger...forget this nonsense.
Old 09-12-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any of the actors who don't get picked for the next James Bond.
Old 09-12-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Talk about potentially breaking the internet... The racists that couldn't handle a black Jimmy Olsen or Johnny Storm would lose their shit.
I would not say that people who complain that movie studios are now intentionally casting African American or black actors in the roles iconic white characters as racist. The races are changed on purpose for only one reason.
Old 09-12-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But...but the family lineage of the character on Kripton as well as Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster back in the 30's clearly means Superman has to be white? Right?
Old 09-12-18, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Any of the actors who don't get picked for the next James Bond.
Idris Elba?

Old 09-12-18, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd be glad if the role were given to a Middle eastern actor, preferably one of these guys.

Old 09-12-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm glad the insinuations of racism have already started for anyone that prefers a white actor to play Superman.
Old 09-12-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Click bait article. Hollywoord reporter had some story that discussions with WB had broken down and now every site has run with it.

Meanwhile, here is Cavills manager:

Old 09-12-18, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hollywood Reporter posted a similar story about them parting ways. Not to say that makes it real but it's not just that site reporting it.
Old 09-12-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'm glad the insinuations of racism have already started for anyone that prefers a white actor to play Superman.
Yes that's my preference as well.

Old 09-12-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I would not say that people who complain that movie studios are now intentionally casting African American or black actors
Got a link to back this up?
Old 09-12-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Hollywood Reporter posted a similar story about them parting ways. Not to say that makes it real but it's not just that site reporting it.
Their source for the Cavill parting is the Hollywood Reporter, though.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/09/12/...iverse-movies/

I can't see them actually casting a black Superman, though, for multiple reasons. Unlike Black Panther, the character doesn't have the background for it. If they did do it, it would fundamentally change the premise of Superman, and they'd have to tackle the fact that he would be ostracized by a large segment of the population, both here and abroad (in the cinematic universe). There's no way they could ignore it. It would actually be really cool if they did do that, but if that's what they're going to do they should just adapt Milestone's Icon.
Old 09-12-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I would not say that people who complain that movie studios are now intentionally casting African American or black actors in the roles iconic white characters as racist. The races are changed on purpose for only one reason.
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Got a link to back this up?
I think Trump tweeted it earlier this morning.
Old 09-12-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, lol. I didn't bother reading the CB article since I had already seen the HR.
Old 09-12-18, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just don't see this actually happening.
Old 09-12-18, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
I just don't see this actually happening.
Yeah, I'm thinking some wires got crossed in all this (deliberately or not) and Jordan's actually being considered for Green Lantern, or something.
Old 09-12-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking some wires got crossed in all this (deliberately or not) and Jordan's actually being considered for Green Lantern, or something.
Which makes me wonder...DC can just pull a Johnathan Stewart out of their asses for diversity reasons and we're all fine accepting it but we wouldn't be able to accept a new character with the Superman moniker?
Old 09-12-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Update 2: Warner Bros. has issued the following statement in regards to this story:

“While no decisions have been made regarding any upcoming Superman films, we’ve always had great respect for and a great relationship with Henry Cavill, and that remains unchanged.”

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.