Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Uncut Gems (2019, D: Safdie Brothers) S: Sandler, Stanfield, Menzel, Garnett, Fox, Bogosian

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Uncut Gems (2019, D: Safdie Brothers) S: Sandler, Stanfield, Menzel, Garnett, Fox, Bogosian

Old 09-12-18, 10:40 AM

EXCLUSIVE: Sorry To Bother You and Atlanta star Lakeith Stanfield is joining Adam Sandler in the Safdie Brothers and A24’s crime-dramedy Uncut Gems while Netflix has boarded all international rights. This one is heating up.

Set in the Diamond district of New York City, Sandler will star as a jewelry store owner with a gambling addiction who is juggling two relationships and escalating debts. Stanfield will play a key ally to a famous client of the jewelry store. As we previously revealed, Eric Bogosian and Judd Hirsch are also set to star in the film, which is likely to shoot later this year. Casting is ongoing.

Pic’s script comes from the Safdies — Josh and Ben — and regular writing collaborator Ronald Bronstein. Producers are Scott Rudin and Eli Bush through Scott Rudin Productions and Elara Pictures’ Sebastian Bear-McClard and Oscar Boyson. Martin Scorsese & Emma Tillinger Koskoff are executive producers.

A24, which also handled the Safdies’ Robert Pattinson crime-drama Good Time, retains U.S. rights. Netflix remains as hungry as ever — it just snapped up global rights to Steven Soderbergh’s new movie High Flying Bird. Uncut Gems isn’t part of the platform’s movie deal with Sandler.
Looking forward to something new from the Safdies after Good Time.
Old 09-12-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Uncut Gems (2019, D: Safdie Brothers) S: Sandler, Stanfield, Menzel, Garnett, Fox, Bogosian

Sandler? I'm out.
Old 09-12-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Uncut Gems (2019, D: Safdie Brothers) S: Sandler, Stanfield, Menzel, Garnett, Fox, Bogosian

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Old 09-12-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Sandler? I'm out.
Depends. Did you see Punch Drunk Love?
Old 09-13-18, 09:33 AM

EXCLUSIVE: Singer and actress Idina Menzel (Frozen) is joining Adam Sandler, Eric Bogosian, Lakeith Stanfield and Judd Hirsch in the cast of the Safdie Brothers’ A24 movie Uncut Gems.
https://deadline.com/2018/09/idina-m...ms-1202463859/
Old 09-13-18, 09:34 AM

Sandler? I'm out.
His dramatic stuff is great.
Old 09-01-19, 02:52 PM

Reviews from Telluride: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/uncut_gems
Old 09-23-19, 12:31 PM

Trailer tomorrow.

Old 09-23-19, 02:18 PM

My sentiments exactly. I read an early review saying that Pattinson in Good Time unquestionably outdoes Sandler in the acting department, but the Safdies know exactly how to use their cast and get the most out of Mr. Happy Gilmore. Really looking forward to this.
Old 09-23-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Trailer tomorrow.

It's already screened at multiple festivals. Surprised they don't have a trailer out already.
Old 09-23-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, a lot of reviews say it's pure cinematic anxiety. Sounds great
Old 09-23-19, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott View Post
My sentiments exactly. I read an early review saying that Pattinson in Good Time unquestionably outdoes Sandler in the acting department, but the Safdies know exactly how to use their cast and get the most out of Mr. Happy Gilmore. Really looking forward to this.
If you have the Criterion Channel, a bunch of their early films were added.
Old 09-24-19, 08:02 AM

A Safdie Brothers film starring Adam Sandler, Kevin Garnett, Idina Menzel, Lakeith Stanfield, Julia Fox, and Eric Bogosian. UNCUT GEMS – In Theaters this December

RELEASE DATE: December 2019
DIRECTOR: Safdie Brothers
CAST: Adam Sandler, Kevin Garnett, Idina Menzel, Lakeith Stanfield, Julia Fox, and Eric Bogosian
Old 09-24-19, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll definitely give this a watch since it's a Safdie Brothers film.
Old 09-24-19, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sandler? I'm out.
He’s in the Oscar race for this. Supposedly he’s amazing.

And I hear KG gives maybe the best performance by an athlete in movie history.
Old 09-25-19, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post

And I hear KG gives maybe the best performance by an athlete in movie history.
Better than Kareem Abdul Jabbar in Airplane!?
Old 09-25-19, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Better than Kareem Abdul Jabbar in Airplane!?
But not as good as OJ in the Naked Gun films.
Old 09-25-19, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel like the Safdie Brothers have the potential to be the next Coen Brothers in terms of the quality of their films and the acclaim they receive. I'm so stoked for this movie.
Old 09-26-19, 12:53 PM

NYFF just announced they're screening this next Thursday: filmlinc.org/nyff2019/films/uncut-gems