Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Predator (Black, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Predator (Black, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
0%
12.90%
16.13%
22.58%
22.58%
9.68%
3.23%
9.68%
0%
0%
What are you high?
3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

The Predator (Black, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: The Predator (Black, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

So, you think that this is the best of the 4 Predator movies and you liked Alien vs Predator more than this? Seriously?
Old 01-20-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
I liked Alien vs. Predator more than this film...

I was really disappointed in how this one turned out.
Funny you mention that. I watched AvP:R a few days after watching this and found it soooo much more enjoyable. I didn't remember liking it back when I first saw it, but it was so much better than this movie.
Old 01-21-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Funny you mention that. I watched AvP:R a few days after watching this and found it soooo much more enjoyable. I didn't remember liking it back when I first saw it, but it was so much better than this movie.
The 2 AVP movies are underrated IMO.
Both are are superior to Alien 3 or Predators.
Old 01-21-19, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny you say that, because I re watched AVP:R recently, and it was worse than I remembered(and I liked it when I saw it initially). Mostly I forgot how dark the movie was and it's true that it is really hard to see anything. But I do enjoy it's simplicity unlike Predators which feels like it was trying too hard.
Old 01-21-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by robin2099
Mostly I forgot how dark the movie was and it's true that it is really hard to see anything.
Maybe you need to have your display calibrated or updated?
It looks great on my system (Sony 940C, Oppo 203).
Old 01-21-19, 01:58 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Maybe you need to have your display calibrated or updated?
It looks great on my system (Sony 940C, Oppo 203).
You're talking about AVP: Requiem? Which is universally panned for being dark as shit and unable to see what is going on, even by the film's own DP...?

Last edited by dex14; 01-21-19 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-21-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
You're talking about AVP: Requiem? Which is universally panned for being dark as shit and unable to see what is going on, even by the film's own DP...?
I am.
I do admit AVP: Requiem is pretty dark, but it isn't really a problem in my pitch black HT with the Sony.

Display technology has come a long way since this movie was first released on video.
Today's LCDs (in particular) can reach brightness and contrast levels far exceeding what was available just 5 years ago.
Old 01-22-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It was dark but not impossible to see. I didn't have too difficult of a time watching it on my projector.
Old 01-22-19, 12:34 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Honest Trailer
<iframe width="663" height="373" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a8yhdePFEvY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-22-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I dunno AVP: R is pretty awful. I agree this wasn’t very good but I probably liked it more than that one. The first AVP is pretty good though.
Old 01-22-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Saw this last night for the first time, and more or less enjoyed it. Someone commented above about the constant stream of "fucks", I agree. The dialogue worked in a lot of areas, but it got to be a bit much as it waged on. Poorly fleshed out characters, incredulous uses of tech, and a sometimes hard to explain plot. Otherwise: predators fighting, action that was easy to follow, and less CGI than I originally thought would be there. The end was kind of dumb, and my first thought was that it was also going to be Arnold, but that he'd say some quote that lightly tied in the Terminator franchise. It'd be fun to have that speculation going for the next decade.
Old 01-25-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I think this full recap and review by Decker Shado is best thing to result from this utter trainwreck of a movie

Old 01-25-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

This movie was a steaming pile... it did have some cool concepts - the Predator hunter but overall it was poorly executed and campy. Predator dogs? A kid who is the "warrior"? No Yvonne S but lots of Olivia? GTFO!!
Old 01-27-19, 12:34 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I also think the AVP movies were underrated

There were just such high expectations of the crossover that it would have been impossible for people to not be disappointed.

They had their issues for sure but were a decent watch

they just need to go all out and do Aliens v Predator v Terminator v Robocop and be done with it
Old 01-27-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I can get behind that for the first AvP. The second though was Lifetime Original quality.
Old 01-27-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I also think the AVP movies were underrated

There were just such high expectations of the crossover that it would have been impossible for people to not be disappointed.

They had their issues for sure but were a decent watch

they just need to go all out and do Aliens v Predator v Terminator v Robocop and be done with it

To me, the main problem common to both of the AvP movies is that they shit all over the source materials from both franchises. Alien vs. Predator is competently made and campy fun, but it is completely out of character for die-hard fans of either the Alien or Predator series. Fans wanted it, but they didn’t want that. It is easy to say the bar was going to be set too high, but I don’t agree. Neither franchise was at a high point, so we just wanted something that would be true to its roots.

In addition to shitting on both franchises, Alien vs. Predator: Requiem is neither competently made nor campy fun. Even if you overlook the detachment from the source material and just judge it on its own merits, it is still one of the worst films I have ever watched. It borders on incompetent filmmaking on the level of a Tommy Wiseau production. Calling it “Lifetime Original” quality is an insult to Lifetime Original movies. While those don’t always have much story-telling merit, they are made with some degree of competence (even if it is a rudimentary level).

Old 01-27-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

$10 was my magic price point to buy The Predator ... found it at Best Buy for that price a few days ago. I’m looking forward to revisiting this soon to see if my opinions (good and bad) hold up. I was hoping we would get a different cut on home video, but .
Old 01-27-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

To me, the main problem common to both of the AvP movies is that they shit all over the source materials from both franchises. Alien vs. Predator is competently made and campy fun, but it is completely out of character for die-hard fans of either the Alien or Predator series. Fans wanted it, but they didn’t want that. It is easy to say the bar was going to be set too high, but I don’t agree. Neither franchise was at a high point, so we just wanted something that would be true to its roots.

In addition to shitting on both franchises, Alien vs. Predator: Requiem is neither competently made nor campy fun. Even if you overlook the detachment from the source material and just judge it on its own merits, it is still one of the worst films I have ever watched. It borders on incompetent filmmaking on the level of a Tommy Wiseau production. Calling it “Lifetime Original” quality is an insult to Lifetime Original movies. While those don’t always have much story-telling merit, they are made with some degree of competence (even if it is a rudimentary level).

That's a bit over the top. Requiem is by no means perfect, but it has some stuff that works(the Predalien, the wolf, the hospital scene) and it isn't Lifetime original quality. The thing about the AVP franchise is I wonder where they went so wrong, where something like Freddy vs Jason went so right? Was it the PG-13 rating of the original? Was it them taking the story seriously whereas FVJ just did it in a fun way? Was it in the franchise not fitting in continuity? Hard to say for sure.

Old 05-25-19, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

overall I liked it but don't think it was great.
not sure how I feel about the genetic hybridization idea, or the predator ironman suit. Also thought the secret agency was way too evil in trying to kill anyone that had knowledge including the scientist they brought in. Would they have killed her if the predator hadn't woken up and escaped?
I do like that it wasn't a reboot.
Old 05-30-19, 08:28 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Rented this from RedBox last night (the lone UHD copy in my area), and y'know... there are worse ways to spend two hours. I would hesitate to call it a good movie, but... good enough? Sure. There were some terrible elements (basically everything* with the kid, the bullies, the dude swallowing the cloaking device, predator dogs, the just bad banter between the guys on the bus, that cliffhanger ending, etc. etc.) but damn if I didn't enjoy watching the predators fuck some people up. I went into this expecting so much worse, but for a big dumb sci-fi horror flick, it mostly delivered.
I also learned, from the trivia (or maybe I knew this before and forgot), that Shane Black has Tourette's, and that's why he made one character have it. Interesting.

*however, the best exchange in the flick, by far, is the kid and Traeger:
Traeger: What do you say, buddy? You think you can get us in there? Because I'm not sure that you can.
Rory McKenna: Nice reverse psychology. I can do that, too. Don't go fuck yourself.
Old 05-30-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
for a big dumb sci-fi horror flick, it mostly delivered.
Agreed.
This has been mostly the case with the Predator/Alien sequels (A3 excluded).
Not great, but good enough for an evening's entertainment in the HT with adult beverages and snacks.
I also learned, from the trivia (or maybe I knew this before and forgot), that Shane Black has Tourette's,
Wow, didn't know that...he must have a mild case or is heavily medicated.
Old 06-20-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I always thought the predator mask was what let the predators see in infrared. This movie seems to show otherwise. Wasn't really worth watching, but I sat through the whole thing...
Old 06-20-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
I always thought the predator mask was what let the predators see in infrared. This movie seems to show otherwise. Wasn't really worth watching, but I sat through the whole thing...
No. they can already see infrared but the mask enhances that. From wiki

Their vision operates mainly in the infrared portion of the electromagnetic spectrum; they can easily detect heat differentials in their surroundings but are unable to easily distinguish among objects of the same relative temperature.[13] A Predator bio-mask increases its ability to see in a variety of spectra, ranging from the low infrared to the high ultraviolet, and also filters the ambient heat from the area, allowing them to see things with greater clarity and detail.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-24-19 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Watched this on HBO yesterday. Went into it with low expectations but found myself really enjoying it.
Yeah, there was plenty of very dumb components (force field/spaceship ending, I am looking at you) but the dialogue was fun and the action/violence was pretty relentless.
Old 06-29-19, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Finally saw this. I can’t believe they’ve made 6 Predator movies and we’ve still only had about 80 percent of a single good movie out of it. (I dig Predator 87 a lot but it’s not perfect.) What a muddled mess this was....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.