Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Predator (Black, 2018) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Predator (Black, 2018) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
0%
14.29%
17.86%
25.00%
17.86%
7.14%
3.57%
10.71%
0%
0%
What are you high?
3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

The Predator (Black, 2018) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 09-16-18, 05:46 PM

Re: The Predator (Black, 2018) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

It's certainly not the best Predator film in the series, nor is it the worst. It has some funny lines and good action scenes. There may have been one too many people in The Loonies group though. It felt like Alfie Allen's character, Lynch, disappears for much of the film or at least doesn't have a lot to say or do.

I liked the quick nod to Predator 2 by having the scientist played by Jake Busey be the son of the Peter Keyes character in the sequel, played by Gary Busey.
Old 09-16-18, 08:48 PM

Well I found it very entertaining though I don’t find the Predators to be very menacing. Too much goofy CGI going on in the face IMO, it was almost laughable.

The cast was pretty good, especially the supporting loonies. The jokes mostly hit. The subplots kinda we’re a mess at times.

I’d give it a tie with Predator 2 (I’m probably being too kind to P2), I’d have to see Predators again to be fair, though I found that one terribly boring. I might buy all 4 films if it gets a cheap combo pack price in 4K.

Where would the now infamous deleted scene fit into this movie? What happened in that scene (if anyone knows)?
Old 09-16-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Where would the now infamous deleted scene fit into this movie? What happened in that scene (if anyone knows)?
It involved a co-worker or something interrupting and hitting on Olivia Munn while she was jogging. The only place that work would either be to introduce her at the beginning, to give the Predator dog a payoff at the end, or both.
Old 09-16-18, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
It involved a co-worker or something interrupting and hitting on Olivia Munn while she was jogging. The only place that work would either be to introduce her at the beginning, to give the Predator dog a payoff at the end, or both.
Thanks. Makes sense, because her characterís intro seemed a bit too brief.
Old 09-17-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw this last night. I thought it was stupid but fun.

The dog became friendly because the loonie-that-smoked shot it in the head with some piston type gun, like the cattle killer weapon from No Country for Old Men. It lobotomized the dog and it became friendly.

The edit with the real dog running while they're all jumping in the RV to get away from the giant predator was odd. Like there was no reason to show that
Old 09-20-18, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't even express how disappointing this movie was. It was a mess. Character motivations were non-existent. Olivia Munn had little reason for being in the film. Predator dog was just a walking deus ex machina.

I didn't mind some of the ideas, Predator hybridization and the Predator killer armor. But the execution of the whole movie was so ham-fisted. It's hard to believe this is a Shane Black script.

If I had to rank them, it'd go something like this:

Predator
Predators
AvP
Predator 2
The Predator
AvP2
Old 09-20-18, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Weird movie. Iím not really too sure what to think of it. I didnít hate it but I didnít love it either. Itís just very uneven and all over the place. Some of the ideas in it I didnít mind like evolving themselves from other species and the Predator killer armor at the end. The characters werenít bad but I didnít feel attachment to any of them either. Overall I donít think itís as bad as some reviews have made it out to be itís just mediocre and disappointing but Iíve seen worse.

I think as far as ranking the series Iíd place them in order. If weíre including the two AVP films the first one still would continue in order as far as release date but Alien vs. Predator: Requiem would be last.
Old 09-20-18, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
But the execution of the whole movie was so ham-fisted. It's hard to believe this is a Shane Black script.
Extremely disappointing coming from Shane Black. He's capable of so much better. Didn't care about a single character, the Predators are pretty much generic big dumb movie baddies, humor felt forced. I really can't stand Olivia Munn as an actress. Maybe I was just in a bad mood but almost everything about this movie annoyed me.
Old 09-21-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was waiting for a hibernated egg facehugger to be in the capsule as the "Predator Killer"
Old 09-21-18, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would be curious to see how much of the script is Shane Black's and how much of it is Fred Dekker's.

Throughout the entire film, you can see (and feel) both of their writing styles flop back and forth.
Old 09-22-18, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am not sure how to feel about this ... My best comparison is Kingsman: The Golden Circle (since that topic has popped back up and is on my mind). Lots of good concepts, but good god what the fuck happened?

The good:
*I loved the idea of The Loonies as a military squad as far from Dutch's squad as you could get, yet the relationships are still the same. They could have done better fleshing out the characters and building those relationships, but the framework was there.

*The concept of a rogue Predator being hunted by other Predators is a great concept, and I was more accepting of the genetic manipulation angle than I thought I would be. Unfortunately, the execution on the Predator characters failed though.

*Deconstructing the original -- Usually I am put off by too many callbacks (CRUTCHES!) in movies of this type. However, I love how Black deconstructed the original in this movie. Even the dialogue callbacks were fantastic ("You are one beautiful mother fucker." "Get to the choppers!"). Oddly, the only callback that I didn't like was the use of the original theme. They used it when the helicopter with Olivia Munn landed at Stargazer base. ??

*An "R" rating -- Black leans into the "R" rating and does not shy away from language or gore and the movie benefits from this.

The bad:

*Humans using Predator tech -- I don't have an issue with humans using Predator tech, but NOTHING in this movie followed any logic, let alone the "rules" set forth in the series. There is a magical Foosball that creates the cloaking? The kid straps a helmet/mask on and it pops out a cannon that defends the helmet/mask on its own? Sterling K. Brown can control a shoulder cannon with just his head, no mask/helmet?

*Predators not using Predator tech -- it was well established in the original the mask/helmet was needed to help the Predator see. In this movie? I guess Lasiks does wonders these days.

*Character development -- This is a mixed bag ... some of the Loonies are given moderate amounts of development, but others are completely ignored. I suppose this was the case in the original, too. But you would think since Black was on the short end of that stick 30 years ago, he'd have paid more attention to it now. I will say that the characters in the original were largely defined (or illustrated) through their relationships with one another, and the same can be said here.

*Too many loose threads -- Kind of an off-shoot of the editing issues, there are too many loose threads or things that come out of left field because something else was cut out. Running the gambit from single lines to large special effects to entire plot devices, there are just too many disconnected pieces.

The Ugly (Mother Fuckers):

*Editing -- It is no secret the entire third act for this movie was changed late in the game. However, even if you didn't know that, you would know that. In trying to piece something salvageable together for the third act, Black's editors gave us a discombobulated mess that is practically impossible to follow.

*Focus -- Building off my editing comment, this feels like three or four different visions that were cut together to try to make a movie. They had a fantastic movie with The Loonies going after The Predator. Bringing McKenna's family into the mix was major misstep and it just muddied the waters too much. Another fatal miscue was the story behind what the Predator(s) was (were) doing. The character motivation was tampered with and altered by too many creative forces, ultimately leaving us with a convoluted mess.

All in all ... I can't recommend you go see it, but I enjoyed my time with the movie. I will buy it when it comes out on home video, but I doubt I ever sit down and watch it all the way through again. It will be one of those movies I put on in the background while I work. I'll stop to watch the parts I like and the rest will just be noise.
Old 09-24-18, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I saw this yesterday I gave it a 4/5. But I can see this being the type of movie that I enjoy less and less the more that I see it.

Pros:

-I liked the Halloween setting.

-I thought the pace was pretty well and the movie never felt like it was dragging on,

-I had no idea that Yvonne Strahovski and Tom Jane were in this. It was a nice surprise to see them both.

-I liked the super predator and I thought this did some good things to expand on the Predator mythos.

-I really enjoyed the scene were the Predator escaped and slaughtered the lab.

-I liked some of the easter eggs like the spear from AVP and the original Predator costume in the store.

Cons:

-For being set on Halloween this movie does not do anywhere near enough with the premise. It seems like a gag of The Predator walking around not happening was a waste.

-The dialogue felt like it was trying too hard to be hip and trendy. It worked in small doses but after awhile just became annoying.

-I think that Tom Jane probably should have been the lead. THe guy they got was alright but he just seemed so generic and cooke cutter that I thought he did not fit well.

-Man the editing for this was all over the place. I didn't even realize Sterling Brown died. Then there were scenes that just seemed to go nowhere and plots that seemed to go nowhere or come out of nowhere.

-How did Oliva Munn go from lab nerd to badass soldier? I felt like we would get a line like "I served in Afghanistan for five years then got out" or something like that. But we did not and it was just weird.

-I thought the idea of the Predator's upgrading themselves with the best of the species made sense. But what the hell does the human race have to offer them? The concept that being Autistic was the next step in the evolutionary process was really over the top and kind of goofy.

Like I said I enjoyed it when I saw it, but I can easily see this being the type of movie that I enjoy less and less the more I see it. So I would probably give it a 3.5/5

For such a simple concept, I don't understand how it keeps getting screwed up.

Predator: Good, simple concept done well.

Predator 2: Lots of good ideas that were not executed to perfection. Danny Glover being woefully miscast as the lead does not help it either.

Predators: I enjoyed this even if it was basically a remake of the first. If Laurence Fisburne's character was deleted this would probably be my favorite sequel.
Old 09-26-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only have one viewing, but this seems to be the best of the 4 Predator movies by a significant margin.

One quibble: our hero team's survivability factor is much higher than before and stretches credibility a bit more than in previous films.
Old 09-26-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
Only have one viewing, but this seems to be the best of the 4 Predator movies by a significant margin.
I didnít dislike the film completely but I would in no way say that. The first is an all time classic and I would say easily the best of the four. Iíll need to rewatch this again when it hits Blu-ray but Iím fairly confident itíll keep its place at fourth best for me.
Old 09-26-18, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I didn’t dislike the film completely but I would in no way say that. The first is an all time classic and I would say easily the best of the four. I’ll need to rewatch this again when it hits Blu-ray but I’m fairly confident it’ll keep its place at fourth best for me.
Before I went to the local theater to see the new movie, the wife and I watched the new 4K UHD set of the first 3 films.
WOW is all I can say; they look like completely different films.
It's as though I had never seen nor heard them before.

Anyway, it had been awhile since I had seen them.
They have always been a beloved regular in my HT.
In the past, I enjoyed the fun factor of the series most of all and let a lot go by.

With the quality problems of the AV now removed, I concentrated on story, writing, directing, and acting.
The problems in these areas are now much more obvious to me.

My FWIW revised impressions of Predator 1:
Story -- 4 outta 5 stars
Writing -- 3 of 5
Directing -- 4 of 5
Acting -- 2 of 5

Predator 2:
Story -- 4 of 5 stars
Writing -- 3 of 5
Directing -- 2 of 5
Acting -- 3 of 5 (the female cop is terrible)

Predator 3:
Story -- 2 of 5 stars
Writing -- 2 of 5
Directing -- 3 of 5
Acting -- 4 of 5

Predator 4:
Story -- 4 of 5 stars
Writing -- 4 of 5
Directing -- 4 of 5
Acting -- 4 of 5

For good measure, I even watched the AvP films and found new appreciation for the first one.
Old 09-26-18, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Fun popcorn flick, especially with a few beers in you, but...

Yikes,that script.

Seriously, why couldn't they have hired a technical consultant? So many mistakes!

Uh, that's not how one electrifies a fence.

Two too many members on The Dream Team (Lynch and Nettles).

Sorry Olivia, IMAX isn't doing you or your surgeon any favors.

Ugh, that script. (did I mention the script?)

There were other things that bothered me but I've repressed the memories.
Old 09-28-18, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
This is incorrect.
Old 09-28-18, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Sorry Olivia, IMAX isn't doing you or your surgeon any favors.
Huh?

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post
This is incorrect.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.
Old 01-19-19, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found this very entertaining, yes the cast and characters were a bit hit and miss and plenty of plot holes but the action was good and the Predator on human kills were good
Old 01-19-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was alright. The highlight was those Shane Black quips back and forth. His dialogue makes me laugh out loud, which I don't do much.

Coming off The Nice Guys (which I love), this was a little disappointing. But still worth a look.

I'll always look forward to anything Shane Black is involved in.
Old 01-19-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Watched it. Didn't hate it, but didn't much like it either. Pretty gory, which I appreciated. My biggest issue it seemed like every character was saying fuck, just to say it. I have zero problems with cursing, as I have a filthy mouth, but having characters say it repeatedly, just to say it, sort of annoyed me. To me, the best part of the movie was when the kid (well really the mask) nuked that dude who threw something at him when he was trick or treating. I literally laughed out loud for a minute with that.
Old 01-19-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To me, the best part of the movie was when the kid (well really the mask) nuked that dude who threw something at him when he was trick or treating. I literally laughed out loud for a minute with that.

That got a great reaction at the theater. Fucked him up!
Old 01-20-19, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Biggest mistake as the Olivia Munn character. She's a scientist who becomes a combat solider in a few hours

She wakes up in a hotel room with a bunch of men she doesn't know fearing rape etc.

They tell her other men are trying to kill her, she says "ok that's fine i'll stay with you"

Yvonne S was woefully underultilised
Old 01-20-19, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Alien vs. Predator more than this film...

I was really disappointed in how this one turned out.
Old 01-20-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Original Desmond View Post
Biggest mistake as the Olivia Munn character. She's a scientist who becomes a combat solider in a few hours

She wakes up in a hotel room with a bunch of men she doesn't know fearing rape etc.

They tell her other men are trying to kill her, she says "ok that's fine i'll stay with you"
I real hottie IMO, but she isn't the best actress around.

As I mentioned before, the biggest problem with this movie is the writing.
YMMV, of course.

Yvonne S was woefully underultilised
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
I liked Alien vs. Predator more than this film...
Me too.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.