DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Instant Family (2018, D: Anders) S: Mark Wahlberg, Rose Byrne (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/645096-instant-family-2018-d-anders-s-mark-wahlberg-rose-byrne.html)

dex14 09-05-18 02:26 PM

Instant Family (2018, D: Anders) S: Mark Wahlberg, Rose Byrne

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IUfZq3DUd3Y" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When Pete (Mark Wahlberg) and Ellie (Rose Byrne) decide to start a family, they stumble into the world of foster care adoption. They hope to take in one small child but when they meet three siblings, including a rebellious 15 year old girl (Isabela Moner), they find themselves speeding from zero to three kids overnight. Now, Pete and Ellie must hilariously try to learn the ropes of instant parenthood in the hopes of becoming a family. INSTANT FAMILY is inspired by the real events from the life of writer/director Sean Anders and also stars Octavia Spencer, Tig Notaro and Margo Martindale.

In theaters November 16.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7401588

fujishig 09-05-18 03:29 PM

Re: Instant Family (2018, D: Anders) S: Mark Wahlberg, Rose Byrne

Dang Clippers shade.

Mabuse 09-05-18 05:18 PM

It used that George Harrison song real well. I have a feeling it’s better than that very generic trailer makes it out to be. Could be good. I hope it’s good.

JeffTheAlpaca 09-05-18 05:53 PM

If this is similar to Daddys Home I will pass

Rob V 09-06-18 07:55 AM

I liked it better the first time when it was called "Despicable Me"

dex14 11-14-18 08:18 AM

Opens this week. Reviews starting to come out: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/instant_family

The few I've seen so far sound positive.

Noonan 11-14-18 08:20 AM

The director was on Joe Rogan's podcast recently. I guess this is loosely based on his life; he also adopted three siblings. Won't pay to see this in the theater but I'll check it out when it hits VOD for sure.

dex14 11-14-18 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13443897)
The director was on Joe Rogan's podcast recently. I guess this is loosely based on his life; he also adopted three siblings. Won't pay to see this in the theater but I'll check it out when it hits VOD for sure.

Yup. It is even in the logline of the movie "INSTANT FAMILY is inspired by the real events from the life of writer/director Sean Anders"

Noonan 11-14-18 08:23 AM

Lol; guess I should have read that before posting. I wasn't aware until I listened to the cast the other day.

RichC2 11-14-18 02:20 PM

Reviews are starting to come in: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/instant_family

It kind of sounds like it hits that "Sweet and funny, but not too funny" tone that made The Intern watchable.

Giantrobo 11-14-18 03:21 PM

Rose Byrne makes me want to check it out one day.

Defiant1 11-14-18 09:49 PM

I love Rose Byrne but loathe Mark Wahlberg. I'm so conflicted.

fumanstan 11-25-18 09:09 AM

Watched this last night. It's extremely predictable, and one of those movies where most of the bits are in the trailer or can be anticipated easily. But it works well enough, with some good laughs and the expected heartfelt moments because of the solid cast. Some of my favorite jokes/bits are with the Foster Care support group, specifically with Iliza Shlesinger's character.

JeffTheAlpaca 11-25-18 07:52 PM

I wish Wahlberg would go away

dex14 02-12-19 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13449879)
Watched this last night. It's extremely predictable, and one of those movies where most of the bits are in the trailer or can be anticipated easily. But it works well enough, with some good laughs and the expected heartfelt moments because of the solid cast. Some of my favorite jokes/bits are with the Foster Care support group, specifically with Iliza Shlesinger's character.

Watched this on a plane recently. This sums it up. Very predicatble and schmaltzy, but I still enjoyed it for what it was. The kids were good, Byrne and Wahlberg were good, and the supporting cast was good.

DWilson 02-12-19 09:38 AM

This is one of those films where reading the thread title I had to think a moment to remember that it actually came out. How did it do in the long run? Or is it one of those films that's so low budget (compared to other more prominent films) that it sort of made its money back before it was shown in theaters?

dex14 02-12-19 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13499338)
This is one of those films where reading the thread title I had to think a moment to remember that it actually came out. How did it do in the long run? Or is it one of those films that's so low budget (compared to other more prominent films) that it sort of made its money back before it was shown in theaters?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...tantfamily.htm

Daytripper 02-12-19 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13449879)

I hated the oldest daughter though. She was fine at first, but she just became a monster. I would have returned her ASAP.

JimRochester 02-12-19 04:15 PM

Saw this in the theater on a business trip. Yes predictable. Yes enjoyable. Yes the oldest daughter was a monster. But she was supposed to be. By the time these kids are teenagers, they are so used to being unloved and shuffled from one place to the other, used as housemaids, sexually abused, etc. they are pretty damaged goods. Or can be. Picture the average rebellious teenager with natural parents who love them versus foster care who may not. I labeled this surprisingly enjoyable.

DJariya 02-12-19 04:29 PM

I didn't comment in this thread back when this premiered, but I did see this theatres also and liked it. It was a cute family holiday themed movie. Wahlberg and Byrne were good as the foster parents. I didn't mind the oldest girl because that was how her character was supposed to be. And I assume any young girl who grew up in a broken like her (Mother having issues with substance abuse) would act out.

The ending with the real families and adoption photos was nice. Not sure if I have any desire to watch this again, but I was glad I saw it, especially during the Holidays.

It's a shame it lost money. Even with a $48M budget, it would have had to make around $120M to profit.

Daytripper 02-12-19 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 13499611)
Saw this in the theater on a business trip. Yes predictable. Yes enjoyable. Yes the oldest daughter was a monster. But she was supposed to be. By the time these kids are teenagers, they are so used to being unloved and shuffled from one place to the other, used as housemaids, sexually abused, etc. they are pretty damaged goods. Or can be. Picture the average rebellious teenager with natural parents who love them versus foster care who may not. I labeled this surprisingly enjoyable.

Yes, foster kids can be damaged goods. But this family clearly brought her in a loving home. And they spoiled her rotten. Baggage or not, she treated them like shit.

JimRochester 02-12-19 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13499741)
Yes, foster kids can be damaged goods. But this family clearly brought her in a loving home. And they spoiled her rotten. Baggage or not, she treated them like shit.

I agree. But if everything was rainbows and glitter from the beginning there would be no need for a movie. They needed a conflict to resolve. If memory serves some of the real life pictures in the end showed them in the courtroom, so maybe that chick was creating those problems.

Mabuse 03-28-19 05:38 PM

I liked the film. I felt it focused on the oldest daughter to the point of excluding the younger two. The filmmakers neglected to give them any development or arc, so likewise it felt like the parents were neglecting the kids.

JeffTheAlpaca 05-13-19 06:13 PM

It looked the movie or genre I usually hate and was not excited about watching this.

I was thinking of skipping the bonus features on the Blu-ray but this was surprisingly entertaining and not your typical low IQ kids or family movie.

Koby 05-13-19 06:35 PM

Really enjoyed this one.