Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Instant Family (2018, D: Anders) S: Mark Wahlberg, Rose Byrne

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Instant Family (2018, D: Anders) S: Mark Wahlberg, Rose Byrne

Old 11-15-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 893 Likes on 703 Posts
Re: Instant Family (2018, D: Anders) S: Mark Wahlberg, Rose Byrne

This just got added to Prime Video (the only way I knew is because of justwatch, I still think Prime Video sucks at letting people know when things are added) so I'll probably watch it soon.
Old 11-24-19, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Just caught this on Prime Video. Overall, it's an enjoyable, often touching, family film. As an FYI, a little bit of profanity if you end up watching with kids. But my entire family enjoyed it and the message.

Yes, it was very predictable. But the cast was very good (especially the oldest daughter), and those moments of angst really came through. So much so that I truly felt frustrated for Wahlberg/Byrne, but ALSO for the kids. Raising kids can be tough, but I can only imagine the struggles with foster children, after what many of them have been through. I thought this movie did a pretty good job of relaying that, while also keeping that comedic aspect.

The supporting cast was also pretty good. Notaro and Spencer brought emotion, but also matter-of-fact-ness to their roles as the foster system reps. The other foster parents were good, even those played for comedic effect (the running The Blind Side joke was silly, but made me laugh every time). The immediate family of the main couple was also decent, especially Martindale as one of the grandmothers.

Anyway, worth a watch in my opinion.
Old 11-26-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
I hated the oldest daughter though. She was fine at first, but she just became a monster. I would have returned her ASAP.
I think that was the point. Before the scene where they contemplate exactly that, I told my wife "that's the thing with foster kids: you can still return them, and I'm sure that's a temptation up until the point they become yours."

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Saw this in the theater on a business trip. Yes predictable. Yes enjoyable. Yes the oldest daughter was a monster. But she was supposed to be. By the time these kids are teenagers, they are so used to being unloved and shuffled from one place to the other, used as housemaids, sexually abused, etc. they are pretty damaged goods. Or can be. Picture the average rebellious teenager with natural parents who love them versus foster care who may not. I labeled this surprisingly enjoyable.
Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Yes, foster kids can be damaged goods. But this family clearly brought her in a loving home. And they spoiled her rotten. Baggage or not, she treated them like shit.
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I agree. But if everything was rainbows and glitter from the beginning there would be no need for a movie. They needed a conflict to resolve. If memory serves some of the real life pictures in the end showed them in the courtroom, so maybe that chick was creating those problems.
It would have been a terrible movie had this been an even more by the numbers "I'm going to call you mommy now" movie after the hospital visit. I was actually impressed that the parents didn't make a big deal about the letter, which clearly broke their heart. But you can't really fault the kid for believing that her mother could change and wanting that chance... I know when I was a kid, even years after, I had in the back of my mind that my divorced parents would come back together even though that was never ever going to happen.

They did a good job allowing the parents to privately voice their frustration. And even showing what happened with the foster kid who inspired them in the first place was a good plot point.

Also, even non foster kids without that particular baggage will treat their loving parents like crap in the teen years and beyond.

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I liked the film. I felt it focused on the oldest daughter to the point of excluding the younger two. The filmmakers neglected to give them any development or arc, so likewise it felt like the parents were neglecting the kids.
Yeah, the younger two were basically comic relief, but it's understandable that the older one was the voice for them, based on acting ability alone. I did laugh when they did literally neglect them, when they walked away from the car that was my immediate reaction, what about the other two?
Old 11-26-19, 01:01 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

I honestly believe the younger kids should have been written out of the story. Make the movie about a couple who adopt a teen. I know the hook is that itís a couple that adopt a whole brood, but the format of cinema rewards leaner stories. This is a small, intimate story. It doesnít have the time to explore three childrenís experiences.
Old 11-26-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I honestly believe the younger kids should have been written out of the story. Make the movie about a couple who adopt a teen. I know the hook is that itís a couple that adopt a whole brood, but the format of cinema rewards leaner stories. This is a small, intimate story. It doesnít have the time to explore three childrenís experiences.
The two kids, just by being there, change the story, though. The older one being like a mother to them, the conflicts that arise because of them, the resolution that comes because of how they feel to the couple that the teenager just can't do, the overwhelming responsibility taking care of three kids instead of one becomes... that's like one of the cornerstones of the movie. Let alone the scene where
Spoiler:
she tells them that they should just adopt the younger two and leave her out of it so they can be happy
Old 04-12-20, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 361 Likes on 299 Posts

Blind-bought this on Vudu for $5 on sale after watching the trailer and reading some reviews. Not a Wahlberg fan, but I thought it was sweet and funny. Iím kinda surprised Rose Byrne is heading mainstream comedies like this and Like a Boss instead of more indie fare like Juliet Naked, but I like her.
Old 04-12-20, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Blind-bought this on Vudu for $5 on sale after watching the trailer and reading some reviews. Not a Wahlberg fan, but I thought it was sweet and funny. Iím kinda surprised Rose Byrne is heading mainstream comedies like this and Like a Boss instead of more indie fare like Juliet Naked, but I like her.

How Did Rose Byrne Become One of Our Best Comedic Actresses?

https://decider.com/2016/05/10/rose-...medic-actress/
Old 04-12-20, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 484 Likes on 387 Posts

Didn't realize (or forgot) she was married to and had kids with Bobby Cannavale. I like her style of comedy, it's can go over the top but usually is somewhat grounded with real character behind it. It's rarely Rose Byrne playing Rose Byrne.