DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   22 July (2018, D: Paul Greengrass) -- Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/645081-22-july-2018-d-paul-greengrass-netflix.html)

dex14 09-04-18 08:28 AM

22 July (2018, D: Paul Greengrass) -- Netflix

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...4ODg@._V1_.jpg

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZVpUZGmHJB8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In 22 JULY, Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Paul Greengrass (CAPTAIN PHILLIPS, UNITED 93) tells the true story of the aftermath of Norway’s deadliest terrorist attack. On 22 July 2011, 77 people were killed when a far-right extremist detonated a car bomb in Oslo before carrying out a mass shooting at a leadership camp for teens. 22 JULY uses the lens of one survivor’s physical and emotional journey to portray the country's path to healing and reconciliation.

22 July will debut Wednesday, October 10th on Netflix.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7280898/

Defiant1 09-05-18 08:38 AM

Re: 22 July (2018, D: Paul Greengrass) -- Netflix

I'm seeing this in a few days at the Toronto Film Festival. Hopefully Paul Greengrass will be there for a Q&A.

devilshalo 09-06-18 07:04 PM

Lucas Lee is a terrorist? Or was it one of his stunt doubles?

Drexl 09-06-18 07:12 PM

Shit, I don't even remember this happening.

Coral 09-06-18 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 13403440)
Shit, I don't even remember this happening.

Really? It was a major news story and hard to forget - especially with the antics of the killer.

It's set and filmed in Norway and all the actors appear to be Norwegian - so why the hell are they speaking English? Pretty chincy.

MLBFan24 09-06-18 09:40 PM

Interesting, I've never heard of this incident either (meaning no disrespect, just I never heard about it).

Anti-terrorism is my favorite type of story plot, so I'll definitely check this out.

Abob Teff 09-06-18 10:54 PM

Wow ... I can’t believe people do not remember this happening. It was quite possibly one of the most coordinated single-perpetrator attacks in history.

I didn’t watch the trailer yet — this is a movie, not a documentary?

MrRound2 09-07-18 12:25 AM

I live in England and I have to admit I barely remember anything about this. I remember it being on the news for the first two days but I dont remember any details or anything about it

Defiant1 09-07-18 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13403468)
Really? It was a major news story and hard to forget - especially with the antics of the killer.

It's set and filmed in Norway and all the actors appear to be Norwegian - so why the hell are they speaking English? Pretty chincy.

Because Americans don't like subtitles.

Brian T 09-07-18 11:17 AM

Is it because these things happen with such regularity in the U.S. that many people (everywhere) are less aware -- or unaware -- of them when they happen in countries where few expect such things to happen in the first place? I definitely recall this one, and the coverage in my opinion was pretty far-reaching and ran for days (at least up here), and it picked up again when the killer proved to be an even bigger whacko during his trial. But, like many international events, then as now, attention seems to revert to the festivities in the U.S. in short order.

Sadly it appears Greengrass hasn't abandoned his wobbly-cam shenanigans. :(

Defiant1 09-09-18 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 13403824)
Sadly it appears Greengrass hasn't abandoned his wobbly-cam shenanigans. :(

Having seen the movie now, Greengrass definitely uses a handheld cam a lot, but there is no shaky cam, at least not what we saw in the Bourne movies.

22 July is excellent, by the way. Extremely powerful and a tough watch, but worth watching. The massacre is stomach-churning. Kudos to the all-Norwegian cast for really selling it without going into melodrama.

Goonies85 09-09-18 04:09 PM

Really, really looking forward to this. This was covered all over the news in Canada at the time and I remember it vividly (also have relatives in Norway, so I was following the news as more and more info came out). There's actually a pretty amazing book about this...I think it was called One of Us: The Anders Brevik Story and the Norwegian Massacre. Was an extremely fascinating read, for those who are interested in non-fiction true crime tales/history (although technically a book a "terrorist incident"). Anders was one messed up person...Just couldn't believe the stuff that they quote from his so-called "manifesto"...

And while I typically a not a giant fan of Paul Greengrass movies (I too kind of get sick of the shaky camera thing, although someone just pointed out that's not as prevalent in this movie), I did think he did an amazing job on United 93...And Captain Phillips was pretty solid...Not a fan of the Bourne movies he did, or Bloody Sunday...

Defiant1 09-09-18 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Goonies85 (Post 13404953)
Really, really looking forward to this. This was covered all over the news in Canada at the time and I remember it vividly (also have relatives in Norway, so I was following the news as more and more info came out). There's actually a pretty amazing book about this...I think it was called One of Us: The Anders Brevik Story and the Norwegian Massacre. Was an extremely fascinating read, for those who are interested in non-fiction true crime tales/history (although technically a book a "terrorist incident"). Anders was one messed up person...Just couldn't believe the stuff that they quote from his so-called "manifesto"...

And while I typically a not a giant fan of Paul Greengrass movies (I too kind of get sick of the shaky camera thing, although someone just pointed out that's not as prevalent in this movie), I did think he did an amazing job on United 93...And Captain Phillips was pretty solid...Not a fan of the Bourne movies he did, or Bloody Sunday...

This movie was co-written by the author of One of Us and is based on that book. She was there at the premiere on the weekend along with Greengrass and the principal cast.

Goonies85 09-09-18 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant1 (Post 13405098)
This movie was co-written by the author of One of Us and is based on that book. She was there at the premiere on the weekend along with Greengrass and the principal cast.

Cool then. I didn't know it was based on the book...It's a riveting read, so I'm looking forward to this...

Artman 09-10-18 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Defiant1 (Post 13404897)
22 July is excellent, by the way. Extremely powerful and a tough watch, but worth watching. The massacre is stomach-churning. Kudos to the all-Norwegian cast for really selling it without going into melodrama.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think was the message/intent of the film? I remember watching United 93 and what my feelings were leaving the theater...I don't see the same narrative possibilities in this story...but that's just my surface level observation.

Defiant1 09-11-18 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 13405166)
If you don't mind me asking, what do you think was the message/intent of the film? I remember watching United 93 and what my feelings were leaving the theater...I don't see the same narrative possibilities in this story...but that's just my surface level observation.

Hmm, good question. The movie mainly deals with the aftermath of the massacre, focusing on A) one of the survivors, B) the terrorist and C) his defense lawyer. I would say the main message/question is how does a peaceful society deal with a monster and how do its people endure through such horror? To a lesser extent in the movie (and I believe the book goes into this in further detail), there is the question of how did this monster come into being?

With extreme right-wing nationalism increasing all over the world, a movie like this is timely as ever. Paul Greengrass told us that Sweden's elections were the next day, and a party with ties to neo-Nazis was surging in popularity. And indeed, the election results show that party ended up in a "kingmaker" type position, with the potential to have a strong influence over future policy decisions. And this is friggin' Sweden, one of the most socially liberal countries in the world along with Norway.

dex14 10-10-18 06:17 PM

This is up on Netflix.

Tom Banjo 10-12-18 02:59 AM

This was really good, but difficult to watch. I almost had to a turn it off, but the massacre ended right about the time I hit that point. If you can get through the first 30 minutes, that’s the hard part.

Goonies85 10-12-18 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 13424345)
This was really good, but difficult to watch. I almost had to a turn it off, but the massacre ended right about the time I hit that point. If you can get through the first 30 minutes, that’s the hard part.

I'd totally agree. The first 30-40 minutes are tough to get through, just cause it's so brutal. And even though I think it's great, it doesn't really do justice to the book it was based on. That book was amazing. And some of the things that happened in the movie after the massacre were actually exaggerated, which bugged me. But it's still well worth watching.