Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

China Rich Girlfriend -- Crazy Rich Asians 2 (D: John M. Chu)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

China Rich Girlfriend -- Crazy Rich Asians 2 (D: John M. Chu)

Old 09-05-19, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: China Rich Girlfriend -- Crazy Rich Asians 2 (D: John M. Chu)

Originally Posted by DJariya
You obviously take some kind of offense to her quote.

But, her resume doesn't suck. She's been a consistently working writer/producer in TV for well over 10 years. And 6 of her shows were on multiple seasons.
Why would I be offended? You seem to be the one offended by my comment. Pulling the race card is just what one would expect from some stupid individual who isn't intelligent enough to come up with a more dignified answer and be above all the BS.

You obviously skimmed over her resume. She did not last more than one year on any of the series she worked on and no consistency doesn't make you a very good employee at all. Most of her shows were cancelled and she didn't work more than one season on the long running shows. Why is that? If she was so good why not last more than one season on the long running shows?

Last edited by mrhan; 09-06-19 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-06-19, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Most TV writers are freelance. They are hired to work on xx number of episodes or work on a as-needed basis. I'm sure most of her career was working as a freelance writer. So that doesn't mean that she sucks and has no credibility.

The salary differential is insulting and I don't blame her for being angry. We're beyond the era of the Yes Sir/Yes Ma'am and just accept whatever fucking salary they give you and say just be glad you have a job. It's not right. 8X the difference is ludicrous. I would be mad too if I found out a colleague was making 8X my salary and doing the exact same thing.

and Crazy Rich Asians could have been any generic romantic comedy written by 2 40-year old white dudes about some rich dude from the Upper East Side taking his young and naive girlfriend from the Bronx to meet his rich and snotty parents.

From reading her background was actually born and raised in Southeast Asia and actually brought some knowledge & little nuances of the culture into the script. And for all we know she probably has a pre-existing relationship with Kevin Kwan and John Chu and that could have been another reason why she got hired.

You may think her answer was insulting to you personally, but don't think it was and I'm with her on this. The studio was ripping her off. Crazy Rich Asians was a big hit and she deserves to be compensated for it's success equally with her co-writer. She obviously did something right in career because she earned a 4-picture development deal with Disney and is the writer of Raya and the last Dragon. She actually had to get permission from the studio to work on this sequel.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-06-19 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-06-19, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right and wrong isn't the issue. It's the way she responded to it. She should have thought of her response before saying it. There is a more intelligent way to respond to any situation without lowering yourself and doing what other idiots do. There's a smart way and there's the immature way to get your issue across. Playing the race card just shows your not very smart at all.
Old 09-06-19, 08:00 AM

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,118 Posts

Since you went ahead and mentioned it three times now, I think you should be explicit in what you mean by "She is playing the race card." What exactly does that mean to you? What is she doing here, exactly? And for bonus points, what about it is she A. not allowed to do or B. you dont like about it?
Old 09-06-19, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by story
Since you went ahead and mentioned it three times now, I think you should be explicit in what you mean by "She is playing the race card." What exactly does that mean to you? What is she doing here, exactly? And for bonus points, what about it is she A. not allowed to do or B. you dont like about it?
Bitching and moaning about your situation in public is getting old. I guess I grew up in a time where you had thicker skin. Everyone seems to want to be a victim of circumstances these day. I get where she's coming from since I am Asian, also. I just think that soy sauce comment is her way of saying we all feel that same way. Well, fuck that. She needs to grow a pair and stand up on her own without including everyone else. I sure don't feel that at all.

Last edited by mrhan; 09-06-19 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-06-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Bitching and moaning about your situation in public is getting old. I guess I grew up in a time where you had thicker skin. Everyone seems to want to be a victim of circumstances these day. I get where she's coming from since I am Asian, also. I just think that soy sauce comment is her way of saying we all feel that same way. Well, fuck that. She needs to grow a pair and stand up on her own without including everyone else. I sure don't feel that at all.

I thought she made her points. Where they blunt? Sure. Why should she be polite and tactful when she's getting hosed? She should be grateful for the 100K and just shut up while the white mediocre male writer with more "experience" should get almost 1 million? Fuck that. I'd be pissed, too. She also has no beef with the writer guy. Chiarello even offered half his salary to her and she said no. That's admirable. I also agree with her point that it's about principle and it would also look like here's the white guy saving the day. Screw that. The studio made all that money and have a sure-thing with this franchise and are just being cheap because it sets up a false precedent. Like what? Paying women (even women of color) more money like their male counterparts? Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-06-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I thought she made her points. Where they blunt? Sure. Why should she be polite and tactful when she's getting hosed?
That's the whole point. What happened to rising above it all and still get your point across? How hard is that to comprehend? It's just so much easier to be offended in a public forum and get low brow morons to back your shit. Total lack of intelligence on her part.
Old 09-06-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's the whole point. What happened to rising above it all and still getting your point across? How hard is that to comprehend? It's just so much easier to be offended in a public forum and get low brow morons to back your shit. Total lack of intelligence on her part.
Yeah, she should just bend over it and take and STFU, huh? This isn't some low-key project/franchise. This shit made bocoup bucks and now they want to screw her over. At least she has a forum in which to speak through, because is if it were an independent film that no one saw, she'd be ignored and set aside. This is different since it's a $uccessful franchise.

*Being polite and tactful and staying in your lane in Hollywood will get you buried and forgotten. They're cutthroats and need to be called out every once in a while.
Old 09-06-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I thought she made her points. Where they blunt? Sure. Why should she be polite and tactful when she's getting hosed? She should be grateful for the 100K and just shut up while the white mediocre male writer with more "experience" should get almost 1 million? Fuck that. I'd be pissed, too. She also has no beef with the writer guy. Chiarello even offered half his salary to her and she said no. That's admirable. I also agree with her point that it's about principle and it would also look like here's the white guy saving the day. Screw that. The studio made all that money and have a sure-thing with this franchise and are just being cheap because it sets up a false precedent. Like what? Paying women (even women of color) more money like their male counterparts? Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that.

And had she accepted half the guy's pay, no doubt certain posters would then accuse her of taking "hand outs"....
Old 09-06-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Writers are the "unknown" guy and get screwed all the time. When she was interviewed by THR, she saw that was an avenue to speak her mind and let the Hollywood community know that she was getting fucked by a major studio.

From all the reaction that I've seen, people in the community are on her side. This is not like someone working at a law firm and that bitching about their salary. If you don't speak up in Hollywood, as already said, you will get screwed and forgotten. And maybe she will bring attention to other writers who were getting screwed by the studios.
Old 09-06-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

11 of the most alarming examples of Hollywood's gender pay gap

While many actors certainly lead glamorous lives, TV and movie sets face many of the same challenges as other workplaces, including bias and inequality.

Hollywood's problem with pay disparity, for example, has received more and more attention over the last few years. The gender pay gap is a systemic, worldwide injustice, and Hollywood is no exception.

According to Forbes, the top 10 highest-paid actresses in 2018 earned less than 30 cents for ever dollar earned by their male counterparts. These actresses brought in a combined salary of $186 million, while the 10 highest-paid men earned $748.5 million.

(Click link to see the examples)

I notice a lot of these actresses...BIG NAME ACTRESSES... just "Went along" with things and on some levels regretted it. Look what it got them. LESS MONEY. So yeah Mrhan, sitting quietly and just accepting shit will get you NOTHING.
Old 09-06-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never said accept your circumstances. How you represent yourself other than outrage and offended shows your true character. It's so easy to be the victim these days.
Old 09-06-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
And had she accepted half the guy's pay, no doubt certain posters would then accuse her of taking "hand outs"....
Handouts how? There's context there and she responded with the "white savior" comment, which is true. Her deal would get looked over and set aside while "the great white male writer" who coughed up half his pay will get all of the accolades, while angry female Asian writer gets tossed aside.

Old 09-06-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At the end of the day no one gives a shit about what's happened to her. People will go watch this movie despite her and it will make a ton of cash. So far no one working on the movie has said shit. I was expecting Constance Wu to say something. She is always outraged and offended by everything. Not a peep and it's been over 24 hours.
Old 09-06-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No. When most decent people who understand what's going on with pay gaps hear her story they give a shit.
Old 09-06-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No. When most decent people who understand what's going on with pay gaps hear her story they give a shit.
Yeah, they will give a shit and the movie will still be made.
Old 09-06-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, they will give a shit and the movie will still be made.

You're attitude is why she has to speak up. I know a woman speaking up irks you and others who share your views in the industry.
Old 09-06-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're attitude is why she has to speak up. I know a woman speaking up irks you and others who share your views in the industry.
I love it when people assume things. It doesn't matter to me if it was if it was a man or woman that said it.
Old 09-06-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I love it when people assume things. It doesn't matter to me if it was if it was a man or woman that said it.
Naw, you'd care. I can see that based on your borderline sexist comments in here. You'd probably support a Man doing what she did because after all, he's fighting for what's right.
Old 09-06-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Naw, you'd care. I can see that based on your borderline sexist comments in here. You'd probably support a Man doing what she did because after all, he's fighting for what's right.
Nope. I am not sexist but somehow I irked you and got under your skin. I'm sorry for that. Honestly. Bruce Lee was right; fighting without fighting does work. All I did was voice my personal opinion (which doesn't really matter at all) and you get all pissy and assume you know my character.
Old 09-06-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's the irony and this guy's Asian? Fuck me. Talk about being a fucking self-loather.
Old 09-06-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's the irony and this guy's Asian? Fuck me. Talk about being a fucking self-loather.
Nah, man. I just think there's too much whining about personal issues in this world nowadays. Work your shit out without getting people to back your shit. That's it. Whatever happened to being self sufficient in all aspects of your life. Damn, is that too hard to comprehend. Jeez.
Old 09-06-19, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nope. I am not sexist but somehow I irked you and got under your skin. I'm sorry for that. Honestly. Bruce Lee was right; fighting without fighting does work. All I did was voice my personal opinion (which doesn't really matter at all) and you get all pissy and assume you know my character.

Naw Man, you came here with very strong opinions in your posts about this woman and her plight. Called her names and everything. You care...You may not care about HER...but you care.
Old 09-06-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nah, man. I just think there's too much whining about personal issues in this world nowadays. Work your shit out without getting people to back your shit. That's it. Whatever happened to being self sufficient in all aspects of your life. Damn, is that too hard to comprehend. Jeez.

Please do tell us how one woman can, on her own, make pay gaps go away in Hollywood... We'll wait.
Old 09-06-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Please do tell us how one woman can, on her own, make pay gaps go away in Hollywood... We'll wait.
Well, that's a straight up sexist remark and women would take offense to that statement. I would never say anything like that. It's very humiliating and basically your telling them they are powerless. You, sir, are sexist and women would literary tell you to fuck off.

Please stop being so offended. I have no resolution to the pay gap and neither do you. You just liked being offended and outraged. It's sad things really don't change and they really haven't since recorded time but it's good that people are aware but sadly there really isn't a solution to all this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.