Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Upside (2019, D: Burger) S: Cranston, Hart, Kidman -- The Intouchables remake

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Upside (2019, D: Burger) S: Cranston, Hart, Kidman -- The Intouchables remake

Old 08-15-18, 06:01 PM

EXCLUSIVE: The most prominent of the Weinstein Co. leftover titles The Upside is landing with STX Entertainment, who is partnering with Lantern Entertainment to handle worldwide distribution on Neil Burger’s remake of the French hit The Intouchables. We heard that others were circling to distribute this title, including Aviron, with some majors expressing interest, but word is that STX always had the inside track with this movie. The Upside is the first of the frozen TWC films to make its way into circulation. Deadline’s scoop was confirmed by STXfilms Chairman Adam Fogelson, along with Andy Mitchell from Lantern Entertainment.

The pic which stars Kevin Hart, Bryan Cranston and Nicole Kidman world-premiered at last year’s Toronto Film Festival where it made its mark as a crowd pleaser. The pic follows a recently paroled ex-convict (Hart) who strikes up an unusual and unlikely friendship with a paralyzed billionaire (Cranston). The film is a sweet spot acquisition for STXfilms fitting the studio’s core model of programming titles with stars in their true signature roles. Julianna Margulies and Aja Naomi King also star.

“This is a hilariously funny and emotionally affecting film. It evokes elements of films like Trading Places and Scent of a Woman, while still being completely fresh with characters that are as memorable as they are hysterical,” said Fogelson. “Neil did an incredible job with this comedy and we can’t wait to work with Kevin Hart, Nicole Kidman and Bryan Cranston. We are thrilled to add The Upside to the STXfilms slate and we look forward to working with the team at Lantern Entertainment.”

Lantern’s Andy Mitchell commented, “STX is an ideal distribution partner for this heartwarming film that has universal appeal and features world-class performances. We are grateful for this partnership and look forward to fostering a productive relationship with the entire STX team.”

For a moment before the Harvey Weinstein sexual assault scandal, the Weinstein Co. was going to give The Upside an Oscar push last fall. No official word yet on the release date for The Upside, but we’ve heard that an awards season corridor release isn’t out of the question. Hart already has a major fall Universal comedy scheduled on Sept. 28, Night School with Tiffany Haddish, and Cranston is taking Network to Broadway for a Nov. 10 preview date and Dec. opening, so those are factors in regards to when The Upside opens. Having these two bankable stars promoting a film like The Upside is important.
The original French-language version of The Intouchables grossed $416 million overseas. Inspired by a true-story, it chronicles an aristocrat (Francois Cluzet) who, after being injured, hires a young man (Omar Sy) from the wrong side of the tracks to be his caretaker. The Upside is an Escape Artists production. Producers are Jason Blumenthal, Todd Black and Steve Tisch.

Other finished TWC titles that were screened for buyers include The Current War, which premiered at TIFF last year, and Mary Magdalene with Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix, which has already been released overseas making around $12M.
https://deadline.com/2018/08/kevin-h...co-1202437316/

Last edited by dex14; 08-15-18 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-03-18, 03:44 PM

re: The Upside (2019, D: Burger) S: Cranston, Hart, Kidman -- The Intouchables remake

THE UPSIDE is director Neil Burger’s heartfelt comedy about a recently paroled ex-convict (Kevin Hart) who strikes up an unlikely friendship with a paralyzed billionaire (Bryan Cranston). The film also stars Nicole Kidman, Julianna Margulies and Aja Naomi King.

In Theaters January 11, 2019

Last edited by dex14; 01-07-19 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 08:10 AM

Re: The Upside (2019, D: Burger) S: Cranston, Hart, Kidman -- The Intouchables remake

Opens this week. Currently 55% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_upside
Old 01-12-19, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The Upside (2019, D: Burger) S: Cranston, Hart, Kidman -- The Intouchables remake

Just got back from seeing it. I really enjoyed it. Hart and Cranston had great chemistry. A lot of very funny scenes in this movie and it has charm. They played off each other really well. It's definitely a crowd pleaser. Probably would have played better in December, but that month was way too crowded.

Not really much to analyze, but it was an enjoyable 2 hours and it went by really fast. I sat in a full theater watching this tonight. I never saw the French movie, so I can't compare the two, but I was entertained and that's all that matters. Surprised it's getting some rough critical remarks from Movie critics.
Old 01-12-19, 11:01 PM

STX must be happy with the BO results especially since they picked it up from TWC.
Old 01-13-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a remake of The Intouchables, but it is also appears to be very similiar to Me Before You. But instead of it being a love story, it's more of a buddy comedy.
Old 01-21-19, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got out of this. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised by it. Cranston and Hart have good chemistry together and its a nice feel good movie. There are funny elements to it, but its really more of a drama with comedic elements. It was nice seeing Hart in a more subdued role. Kidman was good as well. Id say its worth a watch.
Old 01-22-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was shocked and pretty annoyed when I went to the box office yesterday to see this and it was nearly sold out. My theater has reserved seating so we had to sit at the front. Really? A 1pm showing sold out on a Monday? I guess this movie has some legs and word of mouth is getting around.

My friend said it was the best movie in years she has seen. I wasn't that blown away by it, but I found it quite enjoyable and a little bit of a tear jerker. The editing was kinda off with large jumps in time.
Old 01-22-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
I was shocked and pretty annoyed when I went to the box office yesterday to see this and it was nearly sold out. My theater has reserved seating so we had to sit at the front. Really? A 1pm showing sold out on a Monday? I guess this movie has some legs and word of mouth is getting around.

My friend said it was the best movie in years she has seen. I wasn't that blown away by it, but I found it quite enjoyable and a little bit of a tear jerker. The editing was kinda off with large jumps in time.
It was a holiday, theater going tends to be pretty high on those days.
Old 06-03-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was not bad and I liked it thought Hart's acting was weak in the moments before they started breaking and throwing stuff in the room.

Surprised a movie like this was a hit in today's world and it was similar to Me Before You like one poster mentioned.
Old 06-10-19, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched this over the weekend. Wife and I both enjoyed it quite a bit. Even more-so knowing it's based on a true story.
Old 06-10-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We watched over the weekend as well. Very entertaining.
Old 06-10-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice lil flick.