DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ford v Ferrari (2019, D: Mangold) S: Bale, Damon (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/644922-ford-v-ferrari-2019-d-mangold-s-bale-damon.html)

dex14 08-15-18 11:54 AM

Ford v Ferrari (2019, D: Mangold) S: Bale, Damon

“Logan” director James Mangold is helming Fox’s untitled Ford vs. Ferrari movie, starring Matt Damon and Christian Bale. from a script by screenwriters Jez and John-Henry Butterworth (“Edge of Tomorrow”).

The film follows an eccentric, determined team of American engineers and designers, led by automotive visionary Carroll Shelby (Damon) and his British driver, Ken Miles (Bale), who are dispatched by Ford Motor Company chief Henry Ford II and Lee Iacocca on the Ford GT40 mission — building from scratch an entirely new automobile with the potential to finally defeat the perennially dominant Ferrari at the 1966 Le Mans world championship in France.

The initiative was created partly in response to Henry Ford II’s lengthy negotiations with Enzo Ferrari to buy Ferrari in order to expand Ford’s presence in motorsport in general and at Le Mans. Negotiations collapsed in 1963 due to disputes over control over Ferrari’s racing division.

Tracy Letts will play Henry Ford II, Caitriona Balfe will portray Miles’ wife, Noah Jupe will play their son, and Jon Bernthal will portray Iacocca. Chernin Entertainment is producing. The California Film Commission awarded the feature $17 million in tax credits to film in California, where the production is expected to spend more than $78 million. Fox has dated the still-untitled project for release on June 28, 2019.
Bale's weight loss between playing Dick Cheney and this movie:

https://consequenceofsound.files.wor...stian-bale.png

JeffTheAlpaca 08-15-18 05:51 PM

re: Ford v Ferrari (2019, D: Mangold) S: Bale, Damon

I wonder how healthy that is for Bale to gain and lose the weight just for a role?

melasnus 08-15-18 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13390395)
I wonder how healthy that is for Bale to gain and lose the weight just for a role?

I've wondered about that too over the years. -eek-

GoldenJCJ 08-15-18 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13390395)

I’m no doctor but I’m going to take a guess and say “not very”.

Hazel Motes 08-18-18 05:35 PM

The extremes Bale has gone to for roles over the years is gonna take a decade off his life. What he did to his body going from the Machinist straight to Batman probably should have killed him.

dex14 02-27-19 09:56 AM

20th Century Fox will use the Nov. 15 slot for James Mangold's Ford v. Ferrari movie, which had been set to open June 28, 2019. The new date puts the film, starring Christian Bale and Matt Damon, in the heart of awards season.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...elease-1189367

wishbone 02-27-19 10:18 AM

https://i.imgur.com/wWfGjlA.jpg
rotfl

melasnus 02-27-19 02:47 PM

Sounds just like my car.

https://d4804za1f1gw.cloudfront.net/...c0f377a0_b.jpg

dex14 06-02-19 08:05 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...ff92d9b2f.jpeg

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zyYgDtY2AMY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Academy Award-winners Matt Damon and Christian Bale star in FORD v FERRARI, based on the remarkable true story of the visionary American car designer Carroll Shelby (Damon) and the fearless British-born driver Ken Miles (Bale), who together battled corporate interference, the laws of physics, and their own personal demons to build a revolutionary race car for Ford Motor Company and take on the dominating race cars of Enzo Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France in 1966.

In Theaters November 15

Directed by: James Mangold
Produced by: Peter Chernin, Jenno Topping, James Mangold
Cast: Matt Damon, Christian Bale, Jon Bernthal, Caitriona Balfe, Tracy Letts, Josh Lucas, Noah Jupe, Remo Girone, Ray McKinnon

RichC2 06-02-19 08:19 PM

Saw an ad for this during the game, looks more entertaining than expected

melasnus 06-03-19 12:52 AM

This is one of the all-time great car racing stories.
Hardly any are more famous among racing enthusiasts.

BTW, the 2019 Le Mans race is June 15th.
Broadcast will be on MotorTrend TV this year.
Be there or be square...;)

Rival11 06-03-19 09:14 AM

Maybe it's just me but I think his constant weight changes have aged him a bit too.

fujishig 06-03-19 09:34 AM

Not posting any real life spoilers, but assuming they needed permission why would the company that lost the Le Mans agree to be in the title of this?

Noonan 06-03-19 10:02 AM

Thought the trailer for this looked fantastic. Great story and I'm glad to see it put to film.

Why So Blu? 06-03-19 10:52 AM

Looks great. I'm digging the cinematography.

DthRdrX 06-03-19 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13559629)
Not posting any real life spoilers, but assuming they needed permission why would the company that lost the Le Mans agree to be in the title of this?

Two reason.
1. Ferarri is all about brand recognition. They make more money selling merchandise with their logo than they do cars. Now if this was Porsche we were talking about in their position, this movie would never get made.
2. The movie will still establish how dominant Ferrari was and still is prior to and after the incredible GT40.

melasnus 06-04-19 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 13559828)
Two reason.
1. Ferarri is all about brand recognition. They make more money selling merchandise with their logo than they do cars. Now if this was Porsche we were talking about in their position, this movie would never get made.
2. The movie will still establish how dominant Ferrari was and still is prior to and after the incredible GT40.

True.
As they say: there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Ferrari is the most sought after car in the world.
It's almost impossible to buy a new one unless you are a Ferrari owner.
Even then, a 2-3 year wait is often the norm.
Production is kept artificially low by the manufacturer in order to keep values up for current owners.
They don't build more than 8-9k cars a year.

mrhan 06-05-19 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 13559828)

Why would you think that? Porsche gives credit where credit is due. Besides, no company will ever beat their Le Man record.

B.A. 06-05-19 01:03 PM

count me in.

melasnus 06-08-19 11:55 AM

dex14 08-30-19 08:01 PM

Re: Ford v Ferrari (2019, D: Mangold) S: Bale, Damon

Judging from the audience reaction here at Telluride to the world premiere of James Mangold’s “Ford v Ferrari,” the movie may have just raced its way into the Oscar lane.

Interest in the film was high with a full house at the 650-seat Werner Herzog theater that’s erected every year over an ice hockey rink. Some moviegoers dropped low into their seats and covered their eyes during the picture’s most dramatic race sequences. Though this is not a Netflix film, the streamer’s chief content officer Ted Sarandos and his company’s “Marriage Story” director Noah Baumbach along with star Adam Driver and co-star Laura Dern were spotted in the crowd.

If there were any outstanding questions of how Fox might position Damon and Bale in the acting categories, it looks like it will be Bale for lead and Damon for supporting.

Damon stars as Carroll Shelby, the legendary American racecar driver who was hired by Ford to build a car to beat Ferrari at the historic Le Mans race in 1966. Bale co-stars as Ken Miles, the rebellious British driver who Shelby insists drive Ford’s super machine.

Car racing movies have done well at the Oscars with below-the-line wins. John Frankenheimer’s 1966 “Grand Prix” won three Academy Awards for film editing, sound and sound effects. Acting recognition has been more elusive in this genre. Most recently, Ron Howard’s “Rush” in 2013 failed to earn acting nods for Chris Hemsworth, though Daniel Bruhl received BAFTA and Golden Globe noms for supporting actor.
https://variety.com/2019/film/awards...ri-1203319208/

melasnus 10-17-19 03:46 PM

This is Jay Leno's Garage series:

3nthebag 10-18-19 03:31 PM

So Matt Damon finally crawls out from under the Weinstein cloud of shame. I'm not buying it.

melasnus 10-19-19 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by 3nthebag (Post 13626161)
So Matt Damon finally crawls out from under the Weinstein cloud of shame. I'm not buying it.

What does Damon have to be ashamed of? :confused:

mattysemo247 10-19-19 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by melasnus (Post 13626417)
What does Damon have to be ashamed of? :confused:

Jason Bourne (the movie, not the franchise)