Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Antlers (2021, D: Scott Cooper, EP: del Toro) S: Keri Russell, Jesse Plemmons

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 07:52 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Jesse Plemons is looking to reteam with his “Hostiles” helmer Scott Cooper on the director’s next pic, “Antlers,” a supernatural horror-thriller set up at Fox Searchlight.

Guillermo del Toro is producing the project with David Goyer and Miles Dale, who produced del Toro’s Oscar-winning “The Shape of Water.”

“Antlers” follows a teacher (Keri Russell) who takes an interest in a mysterious and withdrawn student. As they become closer, she discovers that the boy is harboring a secret that could have deadly consequences.

It is unknown who Plemons will be playing in the film.

Nick Antosca and Henry Chaisson wrote the script, which is based on Antosca’s short story “The Quiet Boy.” Cooper did additional revisions. Kevin Turen and Antosca are exec producing.

Plemons and Cooper have a solid history, going back to Cooper’s mob movie “Black Mass” as well as the recently released western “Hostiles,” which also starred Christian Bale. In addition to “Hostiles,” Plemons was recently seen in the New Line comedy “Game Night” and the Oscar-nominated “The Post.” He also appeared opposite Tom Cruise in “American Made.”

He is currently filming “Jungle Cruise” opposite Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt and can also be seen next in Martin Scorsese gangster film “The Irishman.” He is repped by TalentWorks.
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/j...rs-1202904709/
Old 08-18-18, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
re: Antlers (2021, D: Scott Cooper, EP: del Toro) S: Keri Russell, Jesse Plemmons

Jesse Plemons has had a handful of really good roles since Friday Night Lights, but I'm still waiting for a great one, something that rivals Landry Clarke. I know thats a tall order but I think Plemons is as talented as they come.
Old 08-20-19, 11:32 AM

re: Antlers (2021, D: Scott Cooper, EP: del Toro) S: Keri Russell, Jesse Plemmons

In ANTLERS, a small-town Oregon teacher (Keri Russell) and her brother (Jesse Plemons), the local sheriff, discover that a young student (Jeremy T. Thomas) is harboring a dangerous secret with frightening consequences.

Directed by: Scott Cooper

Screenplay by: C. Henry Chaisson & Nick Antosca and Scott Cooper, based upon the short story THE QUIET BOY by Nick Antosca

Produced by: Guillermo del Toro, p.g.a., David Goyer, p.g.a., J. Miles Dale,p.g.a.

Cast: Keri Russell, Jesse Plemons, JT Corbitt, Graham Greene, Scott Haze, Rory Cochrane, Amy Madigan

Last edited by dex14; 10-25-21 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-20-19, 11:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

what is that tagline?
Old 08-20-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
what is that tagline?
Yoda got a job in the marketing department?
Old 12-10-19, 11:45 AM

Last edited by dex14; 10-25-21 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-25-21, 07:00 AM

Re: Antlers (2021, D: Scott Cooper, EP: del Toro) S: Keri Russell, Jesse Plemmons

This is finally getting released this weekend.

Currently 80% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/antlers
Old 10-25-21, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Re: Antlers (2021, D: Scott Cooper, EP: del Toro) S: Keri Russell, Jesse Plemmons

Oh deer!
Old 10-26-21, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Yay another movie with Fat Mat Damon!!
Whoo!!!

Old 10-30-21, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

The opening titles set this up to be an earthy ecological/revenge-of-nature type scare story, but surprisingly it's actually more of a horror movie about child abuse and monstrous fathers. It also harkens back to 80's creature features like Pumpkinhead and Rawhead Rex, and takes itself very seriously, which works in its favor for the most part. A perpetually frowning Keri Russell portrays a teacher who returns to her hometown in Oregon and begins working at a school where one of her students is a loner kid who gets bullied and draws disturbing pictures. Russell suspects that the boy is being abused by his father, a situation that she is familiar with, as she and her brother experienced it before she fled her hometown, leaving her brother to fend for himself. She is lodging temporarily with her now-sheriff brother (Jesse Plemons) and expresses regret at how she abandoned him.

The set-up is deliberate and effective as we get to know these characters and their milieu, and the movie gradually gets more disturbing and graphically gory than the modest opening scenes would lead one to suspect, but in the end, this is a pretty conventional horror movie that suffers from some of the same flaws that most average horror flicks do.

You got your stock characters who are basically just waiting to get offed, such as:
Spoiler:
the school bully and the school's principal, played by Amy Madigan, who has the unenviable task of entering a house uninvited, unlocking a heavily bolted door and entering a dark room in order to get gruesomely slaughtered.

Plus, you got Graham Greene in his usual role as the Native American expert who provides lots of helpful exposition and precise instructions on how to kill the movie's monster.

The finale turns pretty silly as...
Spoiler:
Keri Russell manages to almost single-handedly (with the help of the boy and his knife) defeat a Wendigo that's twice her size. Not only that, but after felling the creature, she grabs the kid's knife, stabs the wounded Wendigo's heart several times (as per Graham Greene's earlier instructions) and then cuts the (steaming hot?) heart out of the creature's body. Then she calmly kills the kid's little brother after he is taken over by the Wendigo's spirit. Even Sigourney Weaver would be hard pressed to perform such bad assery.
Old 10-30-21, 06:24 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Yeah, it has those usual horror film flaws, but the performances are largely stellar, and I appreciate the attempt at serious themes in a horror film.
Old 10-30-21, 03:35 PM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

This kind of movie really hinges on the performance of the main child actor. They did a great job casting.
I rolled my eyes a bit at the end in the mine, but overall this was very enjoyable.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (10-31-21)
Old 11-01-21, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought this was excellent. Loved it. Great performances all around.

The only thing that took me out of it for a second was when the principal knocked on the door and the kids wouldn't answer. It made me chuckle a little because of a similar scene in one of the actors most famous movies.
Old 11-01-21, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

I saw this tonight and quite liked it. The monster was creepy and I thought they did a good job with the prosthetics and metamorphosis. The kills were gory and it had a creepy atmosphere. Russell and Plemmons were both good as was the child actors.

It was a pretty solid 99 minute horror movie. Unfortunately this is not the kind of movie that will make much money. But, I think it could develop a cult following like many smaller horror movies.

But, overall I had a good time with this. Recommended.

Old 11-05-21, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

The scene where the dad "birthed" the creature was intense
Old 11-11-21, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Saw this tonight. Quite intense but we we seated towards the front since one person with us was in a wheelchair and that was where the had their area. So it was in-your-face. Literally. I still enjoyed it.
Old 11-13-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
The finale turns pretty silly as...
Spoiler:
Keri Russell manages to almost single-handedly (with the help of the boy and his knife) defeat a Wendigo that's twice her size. Not only that, but after felling the creature, she grabs the kid's knife, stabs the wounded Wendigo's heart several times (as per Graham Greene's earlier instructions) and then cuts the (steaming hot?) heart out of the creature's body. Then she calmly kills the kid's little brother after he is taken over by the Wendigo's spirit. Even Sigourney Weaver would be hard pressed to perform such bad assery.

It was explained by the old Native American,
Spoiler:
the wendigo was weak after feasting on a big meal. There was a bear carcass in the mine so it was at it's weakest state. That's how she was able to kill it so easily.

Old 12-24-21, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just watched this and it was meh. Great creature design and all that but it was pretty boring. Keri Russell is still cute as hell, though. There's really gotta be a better Wendigo movie out there. This had such potential.
Old 01-03-22, 03:21 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I really enjoyed the slow burn first hour of this. But once it got to the action it was really fuxking stupid. Not sure why they held onto this so long during the pandemic.

Should have sold it directly to a streaming service.

The little boy was really excellent in this. So that’s a plus.
Old 02-12-22, 07:06 AM

This is up on HBO Max.
Old 04-21-22, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I watched this last night on HBO Max. I enjoyed it, but there wasn't a single moment of levity in it all. Not a one. From start to finish it's heavy and depressing, which given the themes is understandable. It's been a while since I've seen a horror movie played so extremely straightly.
Old 04-22-22, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I watched this last night on HBO Max. I enjoyed it, but there wasn't a single moment of levity in it all. Not a one. From start to finish it's heavy and depressing, which given the themes is understandable. It's been a while since I've seen a horror movie played so extremely straightly.
I think we've become accustomed to the "Happy Meal" approach from studios:

"Here's your drama/action/horror meal - with a side of humor"
Old 04-22-22, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kmical
I think we've become accustomed to the "Happy Meal" approach from studios:

"Here's your drama/action/horror meal - with a side of humor"
You're probably right. They want to expand the audiences for the movies and broaden their appeal. On a comedic podcast I listen to, they were talking about Steve McQueen and how there are no more A list humorless straight up action stars anymore. All of them nowadays also engage in "clown shit", as they put it. There aren't any Charles Bronsons. (They proposed that Jason Statham was close, but I doubt they've seen the Crank movies; those are definitely clown shit.) I wracked my brain to think of one and couldn't. Best I could do is the guy from Reacher, but it wouldn't count because he's not a marquee name and he's on TV.
Old 04-22-22, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

^I'd say Keanu plays it mostly straight in the John Wick movies.

Vin Diesel doesn't clown much in his lead action roles, his sidekicks (like Tyrese in the 'Fast and Furious' movies) handle that.
Old 04-22-22, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Within the genre, I could see that. But I think one of the "rules" laid out on that podcast was that the actors didn't do any funny stuff outside of the action genre either. So no comedies. Both Keanu an Diesel have done those. (My bad for not mentioning that.)
The following users liked this post:
Cellar Door (04-22-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.