Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alpha (2018, D: Albert Hughes) S: Kodi Smit-McPhee

Old 08-13-18, 07:06 AM

Alpha (2018, D: Albert Hughes) S: Kodi Smit-McPhee

An epic adventure set in the last Ice Age, ALPHA tells a fascinating, visually stunning story that shines a light on the origins of man’s best friend. While on his first hunt with his tribe’s most elite group, a young man is injured and must learn to survive alone in the wilderness. Reluctantly taming a lone wolf abandoned by its pack, the pair learn to rely on each other and become unlikely allies, enduring countless dangers and overwhelming odds in order to find their way home before winter arrives.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4244998/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/alpha_2018
Old 08-13-18, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Alpha (2018, D: Albert Hughes) S: Kodi Smit-McPhee

Does anyone else think it's extremely odd that we have 3 dog movies being released wide in as many weeks? Dog Days last week, Alpha this week, and A.X.L. next week.
Old 08-13-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love dogs... but I have zero interest in movies about them. They usually just try to play on your heart-strings and the plot is as predictable as they get.
Old 08-13-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a Hughes Brothers' fan, so I'll see anything that either of them do. I did not realize Albert directed this. I saw the trailer months ago and it looked ok. I won't see it in theaters, because it's not one of those that calls on me to see it on the big screen (subject matter-wise). I will most likely see it on BD, though.
Old 08-14-18, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Does anyone else think it's extremely odd that we have 3 dog movies being released wide in as many weeks? Dog Days last week, Alpha this week, and A.X.L. next week.
Dog days of summer, man!
Old 08-14-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The first trailer is awesome and interesting. The second trailer makes it look like an awful Made For TV afternoon movie.

I wanted to see it until the second trailer release. Yes...the second trailer is truly that horrible.
Old 08-15-18, 05:29 PM

Reviews are decent so far: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/alpha_2018
Old 08-18-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alpha was my only real choice today. I enjoyed it a lot, being a dog owner and all. Still trying to decide whether to do a full blown ....Goes To The Movies review. Decent flick for families with kids 6 or 7 and up....
Old 08-19-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

I had not planned a full review of “Alpha”, but multiple people have asked me about it, so here is a mini-review with Notes for Parents. Minor spoilers follow.

The trailer pretty much covers the plot - set 20,000 years ago, the son of a tribe’s chief, Keda (Kodi Smit-McPhee), is thought killed and left for dead during the annual bison/buffalo hunt. While not dead, the teen is severely injured, but he's resourceful and manages to rest a broken foot, then stumble across the harsh terrain in an attempt to rejoin his tribe. Along the way, he injures an attacking wolf, then takes pity on the canine. He spends several days nursing the wolf back to health as he allows his own injuries to heal, and during this time, he and the wolf bond. Both the boy and wolf must rely on each other against other predators, the harsh environment and even the weather in order to survive.

The story-telling by director Albert Hughes (Book of Eli, Menace II Society) is straight-forward and beautifully filmed. The wolf, named Alpha, during the course of the film alternates between a real canine (Chuck), and a CG wolf when the dangers of the adventure warrant. An interestingly cheesy, but nice, twist at the end helps us have a happy ending.

Alpha is just a solid adventure telling a fictional story of how man and canine became companions, and will really touch the hearts of dog owners (and other pet owners) everywhere. I am giving Alpha 3.5 out of 5 lightsabers.

NOTES FOR PARENTS (Minor spoilers): Alpha is rated PG-13 for continual survival peril and associated violence. There are subtitles throughout the film. There is no profanity, although Keda utters something that sort of sounds like “sh**” out of frustration in one scene. Keda is shown wearing just a loin cloth in two scenes, otherwise everyone is dressed in heavy animal skins throughout the film. Keda and another teen are roughed up as part of their tribe’s right-of-passage. Characters, including Alpha, are in constant peril from predators and the environment, although very little is graphic or overly bloody. Bison are forced over a cliff in a hunting scene. Keda is thrown by a bison over the same cliff. Keda’s swollen broken foot is shown a couple of times. Wolves attempt to attack an injured Keda. Keda falls through ice while on a frozen lake. A frozen dead hunter is shown sitting outside his tent. Keda and Alpha are chased by hyenas and are attacked by a large saber tooth cat.

LIKE and SHARE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES with family and friends!
Old 08-21-18, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw this a couple days ago and enjoyed it. I cant see why its rated Pg-13 instead of PG. There is some bad CG and the "surprise" at the end was pretty lame.
Spoiler:
too much perilous time in the snow made it hard to believe they both would have survived.
Old 11-21-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, color me surprised. This was a damn fine film. We watched the Director's Cut which opens different. I watched the first 5-10 minutes of the theatrical afterward. The DC is straightforward storytelling while the theatrical starts with action and then pulls the "one week prior" gimmick leading up to Keda falling.

I also skipped to the end of the theatrical. Wow, two totally different endings. BIG DC spoiler:
Spoiler:
Alpha dies...and they don't show the toddler pups(they just show them being born and cut to the sihouette of them walking at the end). Well, it's implied that she died and not shown on screen but it's pretty obvious. They actually filmed a couple death scenes but test audiences hated them which is probably why the studio stepped in and "made Alpha live" for the family friendly audiences

This would have been gorgeous on the big screen, so I'm kinda bummed we missed it. Also kind of a bummer it isn't in 4k. The way it was shot and the gorgeous scenery reminded me a lot of Life of Pi. Sure there are some questionable CG moments, but I don't think they detracted from the experience all that much.

IMDB lists Morgan Freeman as a narrator. He was nowhere to be found in the DC. Was there a point in the theatrical where he voiced something? Or did he do some voice work that was ultimately scrapped?

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
the "surprise" at the end was pretty lame.
Spoiler:
too much perilous time in the snow made it hard to believe they both would have survived.
Regarding your spoiler....sounds like the Director's Cut is for you.
Old 03-29-19, 05:42 PM

I watched this today and I am surprised. I thought it was really good. Shame on Sony for the way this was marketed.

I personally didn't care too much for the slick look of it though. I didn't think it meshed well with the era, but that's just my IMO. It did look good on blu for sure. I'm sure 4K would be great.

I'm glad I read the above post about the DC. When I was watching it, the disc skipped so I took it out to wipe it. When I went to continue, I started playing the TC instead so I saw that ending. I went back and rewatched the DC ending since I was watching that cut to begin with.
Old 03-29-19, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

My wife put this on. It was the theatrical cut. I didn’t know there was a DC. When it opened with the action and then did the “One week earlier” thing I was done. That was like the stupidest fucking unnecessary thing to do i’d ever seen. I didn’t finish watching it.

Maybe ill give the DC a try.
Old 03-29-19, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I want to watch the DC but this thing does not go down in price for the BD and that's the only way to get the DC.
Old 03-29-19, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
My wife put this on. It was the theatrical cut. I didn’t know there was a DC. When it opened with the action and then did the “One week earlier” thing I was done. That was like the stupidest fucking unnecessary thing to do i’d ever seen. I didn’t finish watching it.

Maybe ill give the DC a try.
Yup. DC gets rid of all that.