Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just Mercy (2019, D: Cretton) S: Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Foxx, Brie Larson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-18, 10:54 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Brie Larson is looking to reteam with “Short Term 12” director Destin Cretton on her next project.

The Oscar winner is in final negotiations to join Cretton’s next pic, “Just Mercy,” alongside Michael B. Jordan.

Jamie Foxx is also on board. Cretton is directing and co-wrote the script with Andrew Lanham. Jordan will produce with Gil Netter and Asher Goldstein.

Based on the book “Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption,” the film adaptation tells the true story of Bryan Stevenson (Jordan), a gifted young lawyer fighting for equal justice in a flawed legal system.

Details behind Larson’s role are unknown at this time. Production is set to start next month in Atlanta.

The film was originally set up at Broad Green Pictures, but moved to Warner Bros. earlier last year.

Larson had recently worked with Cretton on his adaptation of “Glass Castle,” which co-starred Woody Harrelson. She made her directorial debut on “Unicorn Store,” which she also starred in and debuted at the Toronto International Film Festival last year.

Larson is preparing for a big 2019, when she’s set to star in Marvel’s “Captain Marvel,” playing superhero Carol Danvers, and will reprise the role in the fourth Avengers movie.

She is repped by WME, Authentic Talent and Literary Management, and Sloane Offer Weber & Dern.
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/b...an-1202899509/
Old 09-04-19, 08:58 AM

Re: Just Mercy (2019, D: Cretton) S: Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Foxx, Brie Larson

Michael B. Jordan (“Black Panther,” “Creed,” “Creed II”) and Oscar winners Jamie Foxx (“Ray,” “Baby Driver,” “Django: Unchained”) and Brie Larson (“Room,” “The Glass Castle,” “Captain Marvel”) star in “Just Mercy,” an inspiring drama that brings one of the most important stories of our time to the big screen.

Award-winning filmmaker Destin Daniel Cretton (“The Glass Castle,” “Short Term 12”) directed the film from a screenplay he co-wrote, based on the award-winning nonfiction bestseller by Bryan Stevenson.

A powerful and thought-provoking true story, “Just Mercy” follows young lawyer Bryan Stevenson (Jordan) and his history-making battle for justice. After graduating from Harvard, Bryan had his pick of lucrative jobs. Instead, he heads to Alabama to defend those wrongly condemned or who were not afforded proper representation, with the support of local advocate Eva Ansley (Larson). One of his first, and most incendiary, cases is that of Walter McMillian (Foxx), who, in 1987, was sentenced to die for the notorious murder of an 18-year-old girl, despite a preponderance of evidence proving his innocence and the fact that the only testimony against him came from a criminal with a motive to lie. In the years that follow, Bryan becomes embroiled in a labyrinth of legal and political maneuverings and overt and unabashed racism as he fights for Walter, and others like him, with the odds—and the system—stacked against them.

The main cast also includes Rob Morgan (“Mudbound”) as Herbert Richardson, a fellow prisoner who also sits on death row awaiting his fate; Tim Blake Nelson (“Wormwood”) as Ralph Myers, whose pivotal testimony against Walter McMillian is called into question; Rafe Spall as Tommy Chapman, the DA who is fighting to uphold Walter’s conviction and sentence; and O’Shea Jackson Jr. (“Straight Outta Compton”) as Anthony Ray Hinton, another wrongly convicted death row inmate whose cause is taken up by Bryan.

The film is produced by two-time Oscar nominee Gil Netter (“Life of Pi,” “The Blind Side”), Asher Goldstein (“Short Term 12”) and Michael B. Jordan. Bryan Stevenson, Mike Drake, Niija Kuykendall, Gabriel Hammond, Daniel Hammond, Scott Budnick, Jeff Skoll and Charles D. King served as executive producers.

Cretton co-wrote the screenplay with Andrew Lanham (“The Glass Castle”), based on Stevenson’s book Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption. Published in 2014 by Spiegel & Grau, the book has spent more than 150 weeks on The New York Times Best Sellers List, and counting. It was also named one of the year’s best books by a number of top publications, including TIME Magazine. For the book, Stevenson also won the Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence, an NAACP Image Award, and the Dayton Literary Peace Prize for Nonfiction.

Cretton’s behind-the-scenes creative team included director of photography Brett Pawlak, production designer Sharon Seymour, editor Nat Sanders and composer Joel P. West, all of whom previously collaborated with the director on “The Glass Castle.” They are joined by costume designer Francine Jamison-Tanchuck (“Detroit,” “Roman J. Israel, Esq.”).

Warner Bros. Pictures presents, in Association with Endeavor Content/One Community/Participant Media/Macro, a Gil Netter Production, an Outlier Society Production, “Just Mercy.” The film is slated for limited release on December 25, 2019 and will go wide on January 10, 2020. “Just Mercy” will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures and has been rated PG-13 for thematic content, including some racial epithets.

Last edited by dex14; 01-08-20 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-04-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

The book was really good.
Old 09-04-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Looks good. Definitely Oscar bait film.
Old 10-21-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Saw this over the weekend at a film fest. Thought it was really good, but I don't see many nominations coming to it. Some non-spoiler thoughts about the movie, nothing specific. The story is great, the acting is great, everything is technically right, but you know where it is going from the start, there isn't any mystery. Jamie Fox probably has the showiest role, and the best shot at a nomination. Michael B. Jordan has the most screen time and the biggest scenes, but best actor is packed this year, he's not breaking through. Brie Larson surprisingly has little to do. The person that continues to shock me as an actor is O'Shea Jackson Jr., he continues to exude charm in his roles, this time he put on his acting pants by attempting an accent and speech impediment, and completely disappeared into the role.

I definitely recommend it, it'll be a good flick to see over the x-mas holiday.
Old 12-02-19, 06:01 PM

Last edited by dex14; 01-08-20 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-08-20, 07:37 AM

Opens wide this week. Currently 81% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/just_mercy/
Old 01-08-20, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm seeing this on Saturday.

Atom Tickets has a promotion for this. Buy 1 get 1 free.
Old 01-08-20, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

I think I've seen the trailer for this 900 times.
Old 01-08-20, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I think I've seen the trailer for this 900 times.

Old 01-08-20, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Yeah, and the thing is that it's just such a nondescript title I still had trouble remembering it. I'm just glad it's finally coming out.

"That's my dad, sir"
Old 01-11-20, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got back from seeing this. This was a really good movie. The performances are what really sold it for me. Michael B. Jordan was excellent as was Jamie Foxx.

Sure, the story is a little predictable and formulaic. But, if you have good characters that you care about and solid performances, I can overlook that. This movie had both for me.

I give this a B+

Old 01-12-20, 03:11 PM

Saw it today. Pretty good. They are marketing this as "Oscar bait" but it is a pretty understated film for the most part.
Old 01-12-20, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

That's good, it doesn't come off as oscar baity in the ads to me, just hammy.
Old 03-28-20, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Just watched this. Pretty good. Well made and well acted. Feels like a film made 20 years ago. Partially because it was (The Hurricane, Cry Freedom, In The Name of the Father). Still it was engrossing enough and I liked it. B+ sounds about right.
Old 03-30-20, 02:53 AM
Cool New Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Great acting, storyline. Stellar character development and leaves you thinking - that's exactly the effect I'm looking for in the movies.
Old 04-27-20, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

It was good though probably could have been great if it was a indie movie and not a big Warner Bros studio film.

Tim Blake Nelson was good too and I had no idea it was O'Shea Jackson Jr until maybe the 3rd time I saw him.
Old 06-05-20, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

You can stream this for free right now at redbox
Old 06-05-20, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

It’s free pretty much everywhere this month:

https://www.justmercyfilm.com/?_m_ut...7d4ba7add22ebf
Old 06-06-20, 04:46 AM