Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mandela Effect and Movie Memories

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-08-18, 03:49 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

This is something I have been hearing and reading a lot about lately. There was even a radio show a few months ago on Coast to Coast a whole show about the Mandela Effect. And part of that was in Movies and Television shows. TV shows that you remember different. Or Movies that you remember different.

I have several of these that I confess I wonder about. Memories that are different from when I watched it the first time or some other time. Or when I was a kid. Usually these are older movies or shows. I have a mandela effect deal on a Newer movie though! This is X-Men 2. This was only 2003, so that is not that old.

But the chess scene the final scene in X-Men 2 where Magneto is in prison and playing chess with his nemesis Dr. Xavier. They are talking about things. And talking about laws that the senate might pass against mutants and how Magneto plans to declare war or retaliate if they pass the law.

Well I remember the scene Magneto looks at Xavier and says, "Doesn't it wake you in the middle of the night, that they might pass that silly little law and come after you. And your children." And Dr. Xavier says, "It does indeed." And then it goes on. And Magneto says, What do you do when you wake up to that?"

Well now when I just saw it, Magneto says, "Doesn't it wake you in the middle of the night, the feeling that they might pass that foolish law, and come after you and your children." So basically he says the same thing. But it doesn't seem to have the same effect as what I remember. I could have sworn he said "Silly little law." And on this new version it sounds like his voice is dubbed a weird way. And even when I watch the scene it looks different, almost like now that I know this isn't the version I remember, Magneto and Xavier are kind of smirking and laughing because it isn't the real version anymore.

Maybe it's just me. But that is actually an important scene in the movie. Because it briefly shows a commonality or kinship between Xavier and Magneto against something that could conceivable be against both of them. Of course Xavier takes the higher road and because he is the good guy. So he stands his ground. But I kind of tear up during that scene. Because you know that both Magneto and Xavier are mutants and they both understand each other's cause. More than the humans.

So I have a mandela effect there. Of a different version. Anyone else share that?
Old 08-08-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts
re: The Mandela Effect and Movie Memories

The so-called Mandela Effect is little more than a consequence of malleable human memories and an entertainment culture that continuously feeds Westerners 24/7 with an onslaught of information. Basically our memories are being overloaded and they morph with time, since things like celebrity trivia is not a core fact worth remembering in explicit detail.
Old 08-08-18, 05:17 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok. You don't think that it is dimensions coming into and overlapping with our dimension? Also you don't remember in the movie Halloween III, the Season of the witch where a character has a pumpkin mask on and starts wildly scratching their face and blood coming out of the scratches. Because the mask has morphed onto their face? Ok, another malleable human memory there from that movie.
Old 08-08-18, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You're also having the Mandela effect in that you seem to think that the Professor was at some point called Dr. Xavier
Old 08-08-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
You're also having the Mandela effect in that you seem to think that the Professor was at some point called Dr. Xavier
Marvel says he has multiple PHDs and an MD, so the title is correct even if he doesn’t use the title.
Old 08-09-18, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Marvel says he has multiple PHDs and an MD, so the title is correct even if he doesn’t use the title.
The point is he has never been referred to as "Dr. Xavier".
Old 08-09-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

There is no "Mandela Effect".

You are simply not remembering things as they were.

It has been proven: the more you reflect upon a past event in your mind, the more your memory of it changes.

Go watch Rashomon.
Old 08-09-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Isn't this like when some actor dies and you swear they died 10 years ago? You can swear you read or heard they had died already so the new news of the death comes as a shock.
Old 08-09-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 220 Likes on 175 Posts

Usually the Mandela Effect is like mass misremembering, or something false gets spread and it becomes part of multiple people's memories. It's not a single person's misremembering, which happens all the time.

Like Sally Field's speech "You like me, you really like me" is really "You like me. Right now. You like me." Or "Luke, I am your father" or "Hello Clarice" or "Beam me up Scotty" never really having been said, but spread in pop culture.

Or everyone swearing that Sinbad starred as a genie in a movie called Shazam because Shaq starred in a movie called Kazaam, plus the comic's name is Sinbad which is connected to a genie.

Obviously I don't subscribe to the "multiple earths/dimensions" theory as to why this occurs, but I know others do. I just blame it on Superboy Prime's punch.
Old 08-09-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You describe the scene as having an emotional effect on you, so you're probably remembering a mix of the movie and how you felt.

Movies are great at getting people to think they saw things they didn't. One example that leaps to mind is Siskel and Ebert, criticizing the movie The Hitcher for it's graphic depiction of a woman being torn into two pieces, yet no such image appears in the film, the screen fades to black before any on-screen violence happens. Yet the build up to this moment was so intense, their minds filled in the missing scene, and because movies only exist as our memories, they confused what they imagined with what was actually shown in the film.
Old 08-09-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 133 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Usually the Mandela Effect is like mass misremembering, or something false gets spread and it becomes part of multiple people's memories. It's not a single person's misremembering, which happens all the time.

Like Sally Field's speech "You like me, you really like me" is really "You like me. Right now. You like me." Or "Luke, I am your father" or "Hello Clarice" or "Beam me up Scotty" never really having been said, but spread in pop culture.

Or everyone swearing that Sinbad starred as a genie in a movie called Shazam because Shaq starred in a movie called Kazaam, plus the comic's name is Sinbad which is connected to a genie.

Obviously I don't subscribe to the "multiple earths/dimensions" theory as to why this occurs, but I know others do. I just blame it on Superboy Prime's punch.
"Play it again, Sam."

And Sloane undressing in Ferris Bueller to name a couple more.
Old 08-09-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 79 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
You describe the scene as having an emotional effect on you, so you're probably remembering a mix of the movie and how you felt.

Movies are great at getting people to think they saw things they didn't. One example that leaps to mind is Siskel and Ebert, criticizing the movie The Hitcher for it's graphic depiction of a woman being torn into two pieces, yet no such image appears in the film, the screen fades to black before any on-screen violence happens. Yet the build up to this moment was so intense, their minds filled in the missing scene, and because movies only exist as our memories, they confused what they imagined with what was actually shown in the film.

Which is ironic, because they loved Pulp Fiction and they went and dissected all of the implied violence of that film and basically said that it wasn't that violent and that the viewers minds filled in the gaps.

Old 08-09-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Magneto wasn’t in X-Men 2 ...
Old 08-09-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Magneto wasn’t in X-Men 2 ...
He was, but the scene referenced in the OP was in the first X-Men.
Old 08-09-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Magneto wasn’t in X-Men ...
Old 08-09-18, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

In BAMBI (1942), you never see Bambi's mother getting shot. But to this day, people will lament how traumatic the movie was to them when they saw Bambi's mother getting shot. The imagination supplies the missing image.
Old 08-09-18, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

It's not the Mandela Effect, it's the Mengele Effect.
Old 08-09-18, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Butterfly Effect
Old 08-09-18, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Thank you. I thought mandela sounded funny. I just couldn't put my finger on why.
Old 08-09-18, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 220 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Thank you. I thought mandela sounded funny. I just couldn't put my finger on why.
I can't tell if you guys are joking about the X-files episode or if you're serious... of if this is an alternate universe.
Old 08-09-18, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I can't tell if you guys are joking about the X-files episode or if you're serious... of if this is an alternate universe.
I think they actually mean the Morgan Freeman Effect.
Old 08-09-18, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have no idea at this point. It's late and Mandela still sounds wrong.
Old 08-10-18, 12:11 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
In BAMBI (1942), you never see Bambi's mother getting shot. But to this day, people will lament how traumatic the movie was to them when they saw Bambi's mother getting shot. The imagination supplies the missing image.
I thought it was a big fire...
Old 08-10-18, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I have no idea at this point. It's late and Mandela still sounds wrong.
Vandelay?
Old 08-10-18, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Vandelay?
And you want to be my latex salesman?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.