DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Mandela Effect and Movie Memories (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/644873-mandela-effect-movie-memories.html)

Mark Shepherd 08-08-18 03:49 PM

The Mandela Effect and Movie Memories

Hi,

This is something I have been hearing and reading a lot about lately. There was even a radio show a few months ago on Coast to Coast a whole show about the Mandela Effect. And part of that was in Movies and Television shows. TV shows that you remember different. Or Movies that you remember different.

I have several of these that I confess I wonder about. Memories that are different from when I watched it the first time or some other time. Or when I was a kid. Usually these are older movies or shows. I have a mandela effect deal on a Newer movie though! This is X-Men 2. This was only 2003, so that is not that old.

But the chess scene the final scene in X-Men 2 where Magneto is in prison and playing chess with his nemesis Dr. Xavier. They are talking about things. And talking about laws that the senate might pass against mutants and how Magneto plans to declare war or retaliate if they pass the law.

Well I remember the scene Magneto looks at Xavier and says, "Doesn't it wake you in the middle of the night, that they might pass that silly little law and come after you. And your children." And Dr. Xavier says, "It does indeed." And then it goes on. And Magneto says, What do you do when you wake up to that?"

Well now when I just saw it, Magneto says, "Doesn't it wake you in the middle of the night, the feeling that they might pass that foolish law, and come after you and your children." So basically he says the same thing. But it doesn't seem to have the same effect as what I remember. I could have sworn he said "Silly little law." And on this new version it sounds like his voice is dubbed a weird way. And even when I watch the scene it looks different, almost like now that I know this isn't the version I remember, Magneto and Xavier are kind of smirking and laughing because it isn't the real version anymore.

Maybe it's just me. But that is actually an important scene in the movie. Because it briefly shows a commonality or kinship between Xavier and Magneto against something that could conceivable be against both of them. Of course Xavier takes the higher road and because he is the good guy. So he stands his ground. But I kind of tear up during that scene. Because you know that both Magneto and Xavier are mutants and they both understand each other's cause. More than the humans.

So I have a mandela effect there. Of a different version. Anyone else share that?

PhantomStranger 08-08-18 04:20 PM

re: The Mandela Effect and Movie Memories

The so-called Mandela Effect is little more than a consequence of malleable human memories and an entertainment culture that continuously feeds Westerners 24/7 with an onslaught of information. Basically our memories are being overloaded and they morph with time, since things like celebrity trivia is not a core fact worth remembering in explicit detail.

Mark Shepherd 08-08-18 05:17 PM

ok. You don't think that it is dimensions coming into and overlapping with our dimension? Also you don't remember in the movie Halloween III, the Season of the witch where a character has a pumpkin mask on and starts wildly scratching their face and blood coming out of the scratches. Because the mask has morphed onto their face? Ok, another malleable human memory there from that movie.

Obi-Wan Jabroni 08-08-18 05:28 PM

You're also having the Mandela effect in that you seem to think that the Professor was at some point called Dr. Xavier

majorjoe23 08-08-18 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13386441)
You're also having the Mandela effect in that you seem to think that the Professor was at some point called Dr. Xavier

Marvel says he has multiple PHDs and an MD, so the title is correct even if he doesn’t use the title.

Double_Oh_7 08-09-18 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 13386454)
Marvel says he has multiple PHDs and an MD, so the title is correct even if he doesn’t use the title.

The point is he has never been referred to as "Dr. Xavier".

Hokeyboy 08-09-18 11:10 AM

There is no "Mandela Effect".

You are simply not remembering things as they were.

It has been proven: the more you reflect upon a past event in your mind, the more your memory of it changes.

Go watch Rashomon.

Giantrobo 08-09-18 11:35 AM

Isn't this like when some actor dies and you swear they died 10 years ago? You can swear you read or heard they had died already so the new news of the death comes as a shock.

fujishig 08-09-18 12:02 PM

Usually the Mandela Effect is like mass misremembering, or something false gets spread and it becomes part of multiple people's memories. It's not a single person's misremembering, which happens all the time.

Like Sally Field's speech "You like me, you really like me" is really "You like me. Right now. You like me." Or "Luke, I am your father" or "Hello Clarice" or "Beam me up Scotty" never really having been said, but spread in pop culture.

Or everyone swearing that Sinbad starred as a genie in a movie called Shazam because Shaq starred in a movie called Kazaam, plus the comic's name is Sinbad which is connected to a genie.

Obviously I don't subscribe to the "multiple earths/dimensions" theory as to why this occurs, but I know others do. I just blame it on Superboy Prime's punch.

Crocker Jarmen 08-09-18 12:08 PM

You describe the scene as having an emotional effect on you, so you're probably remembering a mix of the movie and how you felt.

Movies are great at getting people to think they saw things they didn't. One example that leaps to mind is Siskel and Ebert, criticizing the movie The Hitcher for it's graphic depiction of a woman being torn into two pieces, yet no such image appears in the film, the screen fades to black before any on-screen violence happens. Yet the build up to this moment was so intense, their minds filled in the missing scene, and because movies only exist as our memories, they confused what they imagined with what was actually shown in the film.

Michael Corvin 08-09-18 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13386864)
Usually the Mandela Effect is like mass misremembering, or something false gets spread and it becomes part of multiple people's memories. It's not a single person's misremembering, which happens all the time.

Like Sally Field's speech "You like me, you really like me" is really "You like me. Right now. You like me." Or "Luke, I am your father" or "Hello Clarice" or "Beam me up Scotty" never really having been said, but spread in pop culture.

Or everyone swearing that Sinbad starred as a genie in a movie called Shazam because Shaq starred in a movie called Kazaam, plus the comic's name is Sinbad which is connected to a genie.

Obviously I don't subscribe to the "multiple earths/dimensions" theory as to why this occurs, but I know others do. I just blame it on Superboy Prime's punch.

"Play it again, Sam."

And Sloane undressing in Ferris Bueller to name a couple more.

Why So Blu? 08-09-18 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 13386867)
You describe the scene as having an emotional effect on you, so you're probably remembering a mix of the movie and how you felt.

Movies are great at getting people to think they saw things they didn't. One example that leaps to mind is Siskel and Ebert, criticizing the movie The Hitcher for it's graphic depiction of a woman being torn into two pieces, yet no such image appears in the film, the screen fades to black before any on-screen violence happens. Yet the build up to this moment was so intense, their minds filled in the missing scene, and because movies only exist as our memories, they confused what they imagined with what was actually shown in the film.

Which is ironic, because they loved Pulp Fiction and they went and dissected all of the implied violence of that film and basically said that it wasn't that violent and that the viewers minds filled in the gaps.

:lol:

Abob Teff 08-09-18 01:33 PM

Magneto wasn’t in X-Men 2 ...

Obi-Wan Jabroni 08-09-18 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13386946)
Magneto wasn’t in X-Men 2 ...

He was, but the scene referenced in the OP was in the first X-Men.

Abob Teff 08-09-18 01:40 PM

Magneto wasn’t in X-Men ...

Ash Ketchum 08-09-18 04:50 PM

In BAMBI (1942), you never see Bambi's mother getting shot. But to this day, people will lament how traumatic the movie was to them when they saw Bambi's mother getting shot. The imagination supplies the missing image.

Josh-da-man 08-09-18 08:54 PM

It's not the Mandela Effect, it's the Mengele Effect.

Mabuse 08-09-18 09:23 PM

Butterfly Effect

Michael Corvin 08-09-18 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13387214)

Thank you. I thought mandela sounded funny. I just couldn't put my finger on why. :lol:

fujishig 08-09-18 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13387214)

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13387257)
Thank you. I thought mandela sounded funny. I just couldn't put my finger on why. :lol:

I can't tell if you guys are joking about the X-files episode or if you're serious... of if this is an alternate universe.

Abob Teff 08-09-18 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13387260)
I can't tell if you guys are joking about the X-files episode or if you're serious... of if this is an alternate universe.

I think they actually mean the Morgan Freeman Effect.

Michael Corvin 08-09-18 11:07 PM

:lol: I have no idea at this point. It's late and Mandela still sounds wrong.

OldBoy 08-10-18 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 13387065)
In BAMBI (1942), you never see Bambi's mother getting shot. But to this day, people will lament how traumatic the movie was to them when they saw Bambi's mother getting shot. The imagination supplies the missing image.

I thought it was a big fire...

Abob Teff 08-10-18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13387276)
:lol: I have no idea at this point. It's late and Mandela still sounds wrong.

Vandelay?

majorjoe23 08-10-18 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13387296)
Vandelay?

And you want to be my latex salesman?