Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mandela Effect and Movie Memories

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Mandela Effect and Movie Memories

Old 08-31-18, 01:20 PM

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Mandela Effect and Movie Memories

Went to YouTube, typed, "Ewok dies," top result:
Old 09-03-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 146 Likes on 106 Posts

Yes, that Ewok death is a medium shot with the face turned away, nothing like the close-up I saw in the theater. That shot is far superior to what I saw.
Old 09-04-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never had the Mancala Effect in theaters, mostly because it's too dark to play properly.
Old 09-04-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by story View Post
What is... what is happening?
I swear Rerun was in a dance crew that did a funky dance on SNL in the '70's.
Old 09-04-18, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
Went to YouTube, typed, "Ewok dies," top result:

This is how I remember the scene. I saw RotJ twice on opening day and several times over the summer that year. Then repeatedly on a bootleg VHS after that.
Old 09-04-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 149 Likes on 115 Posts

Yep, that’s the way it’s always been. Saw it opening weekend.
Old 12-13-18, 04:03 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
In re-watching Infinity War, I could have sworn that Thanos beat the shit out of the Hulk in a more brutal manner. I thought there was one more crushing blow in between the knee to the face and the press slam. I guess the sound quality was way better (in terms of feeling the hits) in the theater than they were on the home media version.

Like our brains are overloaded. And we are getting ready for Slither Armageddon. I know it's kind of shameful when movies that aren't zombie movies blatantly rip off or steal zombie-like ideas. Well I think Waynes World 2has that darkness that I am missing from Critters 2.

John Edwards former VP, says John Curtis. John Edwards was a VP? Under who? Under what president? Does John Curtis have the Mandela effect? But actually I also believe remembering that Senator John Edwards was a vice president once. Did Bill Clinton have two vice presidents? Al Gore and John Edwards? A violation of the imalumaunts clause, says Howard bloom.

I don't want to turn this into a thread about movie reminiscing. But I remember how the super hero movies like in Super Man II General Zod (I have heard some call them the Zod Gang ó maybe a mandela effect there or a mini mandela effect, or a way of our brains to want to simplify things) that General Zod and his compatriots wanting to see the president of the United States. After it was proven that they could be defeated, eh wanting to see the president of the United States actually carried some weight back then. Now it's like. Well now you don't have to be a bad guy with the ability to break steel with your bare hands, you can just have moderate fence climbing skills and you are there! On the white house lawn. Maybe even poor track running skills.

Like our brains are overloaded. And we are getting ready for Slither Armageddon.
Old 12-13-18, 04:09 PM
Cool New Member

Oh yeah here is the article I scanned about the Mandela Effect. I believe it is coded.

Old 12-13-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 190 Posts

Da fuq is going on?
Old 12-13-18, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Something delightful. In fact you might say itís full of stars.

Carry on, Mark Shepherd.
Old 12-13-18, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Da fuq is going on?
Guess since it's coded, you don't have the key to break it.
Old 12-13-18, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 114 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
In re-watching Infinity War, I could have sworn that Dark Seid beat the shit out of the Hulk in a more brutal manner. I thought there was one more crushing blow in between the knee to the face and the press slam. I guess the sound quality was way better (in terms of feeling the hits) in the theater than they were on the home media version.
Damn you must have a good memory. I'm just happy I remember Apocolypse was actually in this movie. Let alone how many hits he landed on the Thing.
Old 12-14-18, 12:04 AM

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

Alan Moore's cameo worked for me, 'nuff said.
Old 01-17-19, 05:23 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
This is how I remember the scene. I saw RotJ twice on opening day and several times over the summer that year. Then repeatedly on a bootleg VHS after that.
Chris Cillizza on CNN referenced Spinal Tap. And Dick Durbin referenced three wrestlers. But yeah Chris Cillizza by saying, "Hello Cleveland," even though they're not really there.
Some stupid trump tweet. About Nashville. On 1/14/2019. Of course the dunce Brook Baldwin who is the HOST has never seen spinal tap. But she just laughs as if she gets the reference. Pretty much ó This is the Mandela Effect.
But Why Blu, I am not sure if I am into these avengers Thanos Hulk fighting. Pretty much it is just copying stone cold. Brian Bosworth fighting the biker. (Body slam, body slam, punch punch ooh where have we seen that before. Kevin Harding? Stone Cold.
George Clooney works at Wellman plastics in a episode of Rosanne. Calves the size of cantelopes, says Steve King.
There is a loose screw, says Lori Loughlin. I have never seen Spinal Tap but I have seen purple rain. I don't know. China supposedly can't grow plants on its space shuttle. But I know we have been growing plants for over forty years in outer space. Call it Oscar Mayer. Or Oscar Meyer. We've been eating hot dogs in outer space too.
I think it is good to mention food with the Mandela effect too.
Wow. First it was all about women and women's rights and them being equal. Except now. When losers like Beto Rourke are running for president. The Minotaur cult. Well wasn't Minotaur a movie too?

I don't even really watch movies anymore. Unless it's like an interlibrary loan. Well you know there is a good bible verse. Hope to not get too preachy. No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new piece that filled it up taketh away from the old, and the rent is made worse..
Well I am no Pat Robertson but it almost seems like that bible verse is admitting that there is something called the Mandela Effect!
Old 01-17-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wtaf?
Old 01-17-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

The Aristocrats!
Old 01-18-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only 'Mandela Effect' that has me baffled is 'Kit-Kat'
I know damn well there was a dash and this isn't just a simple logo design change. Apparently there was never a dash which is bullshit. I've even asked others and not mentioning Mandela Effect and have had them remember a dash. To them it was just "like most brands, just a logo re-design"
In movies. I kinda chalk it up to just theatrical vs edits for TV or home video. But there are some that I know for a fact I saw what I saw and those can not be found anywhere to confirm.
Old 01-18-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
Wtaf?
pure poetry, thatís what
Old 03-04-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I never heard of the Mandela Effect until this weekend when I listened to a Chris Jericho podcast. This blew me away as I also remember the examples completely different. I remember the Moonraker girl having braces. It was a main joke in the movie. Also kinda weird that C3P0 has a silver leg now. But maybe that's just a detail I never paid attention too.

The one that really blew me away was finding out that Ed McMahon never worked for Publisher's Clearing House. I clearly remember commercials and mailers with his image and saying "you may already be a winner". Also Fruit Loops cereal was always Froot Loops? WTH
Old 03-04-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 313 Likes on 240 Posts

That Ed McMahon PCH one is either like brilliant marketing or just outright lies. He was connected to American Family Publishers, which I don't even remember, but I do remember PCH.

Old 03-04-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I..... I'm not sure what's going on.....
Old 03-05-19, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 224 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
I remember the Moonraker girl having braces. It was a main joke in the movie. Also kinda weird that C3P0 has a silver leg now. But maybe that's just a detail I never paid attention too.
The Moonraker one blows me away. I always remember the girl having braces as well, it was like a gag because Jaws had those metal teeth.

I do, however, remember C-3PO having a mismatched silver leg, though I first noticed it in a publicity shot and didn’t notice it in the movie until later. (Back then, it was much more difficult to see a movie. It was either in a theater or a tv showing; VHS was still a really new thing and DVD was over a decade away.)