Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mandela Effect and Movie Memories

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Mandela Effect and Movie Memories

Old 08-16-18, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
re: The Mandela Effect and Movie Memories

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
I was referred to Moonraker, not Thunderball, specifically the ME where tons of people remember Dolly having braces.
Moonraker at least is not a case of different versions in distribution. The actress herself claims that she never wore braces in that movie.
I know. Just making the point that, if millions of people remember a movie one way, and millions of other people remember a movie a different way, both thinking the other group is wrong, both groups can be right.
Old 08-16-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
like I think there was a movie last month that had different endings or something.
Unfriended: Dark Web
Old 08-16-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Maybe people remember "Houston, we have a problem," because of American Pie?

And sometimes these misremembered lines are down to alternate takes being used in commercials and trailers, or the human mind condensing them into more memorable/usable/relatable versions.

People misremember the line "No, I am your father," from The Empire Strikes Back as "No, Luke, I am your father," because slipping the "Luke" in there adds context that the real line doesn't have.
Old 08-17-18, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm on a manga-reading kick right now and I took a volume of "Golgo 13" off the shelf and the very first story in it is set in South Africa and features Nelson Mandela as a character.
Old 08-17-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Shepherd View Post
I would actually prefer to call it the Mengele effect because I have a lot of respect and admiration for the real Nelson Mandela and I don't want to drag him into some kind of sophomoric X-files-ish kind of soupy discussion.
So ... basically you donít have an understanding of why the Mandela Effect is called the Mandela Effect. I guess thatís OK, but do you know who Joseph Mengele was?

Originally Posted by MBoyd View Post
So count me in the group that remembers Dollyís braces, remembers BerenSTEIN Bears, and remembers Nelson Mandela being released from prison.
Ummmm ... Mandela was released from prison. Which alternate universe are you in?
Old 08-17-18, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Old 08-17-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

Ummmm ... Mandela was released from prison. Which alternate universe are you in?
Right. I never thought he had died in prison. But the other two things...
Old 08-17-18, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MBoyd View Post
Right. I never thought he had died in prison. But the other two things...
Yeah, it was the guy from the Peter Gabriel song who died in prison.
Old 08-18-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

Wait! Is that why some people think he died in prison in the ‘80s? Because they’re conflating him with Steve Biko?! I never considered that.
Old 08-18-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Wait! Is that why some people think he died in prison in the Ď80s? Because theyíre conflating him with Steve Biko?! I never considered that.
That's the theory.
Old 08-18-18, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 296 Likes on 229 Posts

I like to coal it the Mandel effect because I grew up in an alternate universe where Howie Mandel was at one time popular enough to have his own cartoon for kids. Wait, is that this universe?
Old 08-18-18, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait! Is that why some people think he died in prison in the ‘80s? Because they’re conflating him with Steve Biko?! I never considered that.
First, how the hell do you confuse Nelson Mandela for this:

Second ...

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I like to coal it the Mandel effect because I grew up in an alternate universe where Howie Mandel was at one time popular enough to have his own cartoon for kids. Wait, is that this universe?
No, well yes. This is the universe where he hosts a really shameful reality TV game show. But I think you are confusing this for the Mandel Effect, which is where a comedian becomes a game show host, develops OCD, and becomes a germaphobe (see also: Marc Summers after Beastmaster).

Third ... come on mods. You are really dropping the ball with this thread title.
Old 08-19-18, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 120 Likes on 73 Posts

Mandela Effect is really a horrible name for all this. People that think he died in prison must have a poor understanding of African history/Apartheid. Berenstein Effect of Berenstain Effect would be more appropriate.
Old 08-19-18, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

No, well yes. This is the universe where he hosts a really shameful reality TV game show. But I think you are confusing this for the Mandel Effect, which is where a comedian becomes a game show host, develops OCD, and becomes a germaphobe (see also: Marc Summers after Beastmaster).

Third ... come on mods. You are really dropping the ball with this thread title.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby%27s_World

Nobody ever talks about Bobby's World or admits to having seen it, though.
Old 08-19-18, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember Ed saying, "Fuck you Johnny" on the Tonight Show. Is that the McMahon Effect?
Old 08-19-18, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

Mandela Effect is really a horrible name for all this. People that think he died in prison must have a poor understanding of African history/Apartheid. Berenstein Effect of Berenstain Effect would be more appropriate.
The Biko confusion seems like an obvious explanation, but I’ve heard it told that those that remember Mandela dying in prison have very specific memories about parades and protests following his death and his wife writing a book and all this really specific stuff. My theory has been that in certain countries (not America) there was a misinformation or propaganda campaign that floated this false story.
Old 08-19-18, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Biko confusion seems like an obvious explanation, but I’ve heard it told that those that remember Mandela dying in prison have very specific memories about parades and protests following his death and his wife writing a book and all this really specific stuff. My theory has been that in certain countries (not America) there was a misinformation or propaganda campaign that floated this false story.
It's weird because I never, ever thought Nelson Mandela was dead. I learned about Steve Biko from the Peter Gabriel song. And I never knew that anyone thought Mandela died in prison until the Barenstain Bears thing came up.

The misinformation campaign idea is interesting, but I'd put any confusion on people simply not having a good grasp of the situation in South Africa. In the 80s in the U.S., there were campaigns to end Aparthied and boycott Sun City, but there were also a lot of apologists for Apartheid (including Reagan and libertarian shitrag Reason Magazine), and I think white America had a really limited amount of knowledge of the situation. I was barely a teenager at the height of it, and I can say ending Apartheid wasn't exactly a priority in Kansas in the 80s.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-19-18 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-19-18, 10:19 PM

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

What is... what is happening?
Old 08-20-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: The Mandela Effect and Movie Memories

Berenstein Effect [or] Berenstain Effect would be more appropriate.
But then there will be people who misremember the "Berenstein Effect" as the "Berenstain Effect" (or vice versa if it's called the other name).

(But, on second thought, it may be more appropos due to that reason.)
Old 08-20-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I think a filmmaking example of the "Mandela Effect" happened in "Die Hard" when the term "Stockholm Syndrome" was mistakenly called "Helsinki Syndrome". I don't know if the reason why it was misnamed has ever been explained, but presumably the mistake was due to a screenwriter misremembering the name and no one on the film catching the mistake (couldn't exactly Google it back then to check). I'd be surprised if the mistake was intentional.

And "The X-Files" repeated this same "Helsinki Syndrome" mistaken name in the episode "Folie a Deux" (although I guess this instance should be called an example of the "Mengele Effect" happening )

Here's the scene from "Die Hard"

Question about it:
https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-diff...sinki-syndrome

Last edited by dhmac; 08-20-18 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-20-18, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
What is... what is happening?
A scholarly discussion on Howie Mandel's efforts to end Apartments in South Dakota. Big proponent of home ownership, I guess.

There is also a side discussion about the accusations Goldilocks made against the Berrystained Bears and debate as to whether or not Disney should rehire them.

It all started with chatter about the repeating scene in all of the X-Men movies where Dr. Wheelchair and Magnetic Man play Chutes and Ladders while discussing the future ... or the past ... not sure which is which anymore.
Old 08-20-18, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I remember this thread title being different.
Old 08-21-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Barbara Mandrell's accent is not an affect at all. She was born in Houston.
Old 08-21-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
I think a filmmaking example of the "Mandela Effect" happened in "Die Hard" when the term "Stockholm Syndrome" was mistakenly called "Helsinki Syndrome". I don't know if the reason why it was misnamed has ever been explained, but presumably the mistake was due to a screenwriter misremembering the name and no one on the film catching the mistake (couldn't exactly Google it back then to check). I'd be surprised if the mistake was intentional.

And "The X-Files" repeated this same "Helsinki Syndrome" mistaken name in the episode "Folie a Deux" (although I guess this instance should be called an example of the "Mengele Effect" happening )

Here's the scene from "Die Hard"

Question about it:
https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-diff...sinki-syndrome
That has to be intentional. The tv host even says "as in the Helsinki, Sweden," then the producer puts his hand on his head and the writer corrects him saying "Finland."

Stockholm is the capital of Sweden and Helsinki is the capital of Finland. There is no way that's not intentional.
Old 08-21-18, 03:55 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
So ... basically you donít have an understanding of why the Mandela Effect is called the Mandela Effect. I guess thatís OK, but do you know who Joseph Mengele was?

But you can choose to go mainstream with Mandela effect. (yeah it's because some people remember he died in prison in the 1980s. However we are told now that he recently died in 2013. So that goes with the belief in false memories, parallel dimensions..)

I do know who Joseph Mengele was. And I am familiar with that episode of the X-files. I actually know more about Joseph Mengele than I want to know. I am actually in a library where one of the books that I can't help but pass by every time I am here is called Nazi scientists and it shows a nice wholesome family photo of Joseph Mengele (elderly) with his son. How in the world this man was not hung and convicted at the Nuremberg trials is beyond me. Or even post World War II tracked down. Well this world is unfair. Anyway I would prefer it be called the Mengele effect because there could be some kind of corporate or nefarious element to this (if you believe it.)

If you believe that the Mandela or Mengele effect is just human memories being malleable and we are overloaded with too much info. That's fine. I have no argument.

Honestly I created this to just blow off some steam. And a not so serious topic. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Dr. Oz talk about it. Really I have very vague memories of the 1980s. I remember on the news Ronald Reagan giving the Berlin Wall speech. Now if someone tries to say that Nelson Mandela was really the person who gave the Berlin Wall speech then I will have to take this to the next level! Star trek episodes that did or didn't exist, eh who cares. Movies were an element of the German Nazi/Mengele war machine too, so..

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.