DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Pirates of the Carribean 6 - News, rumors, etc. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/644856-pirates-carribean-6-news-rumors-etc.html)

dex14 08-07-18 11:10 AM

Pirates of the Carribean 6 - News, rumors, etc.

Nothing official... A bunch of sites have been reporting that it is in development and they are citing a website I've never heard of before... Geeks WorldWide. I'm sure Disney isn't about to let the franchise die though.

Here is the original article:

While people are currently focused on what will happen with Guardians of The Galaxy 3 after the firing of James Gunn, there is another project at Walt Disney Studios that might have some issues moving forward and that is Pirates of The Caribbean 6.

We now hear progress has been made and it might actually end up happening with director Joachim Rønning expected to return (currently shooting Disney’s Maleficent 2). A script is seemingly being worked on by writers Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio, and Jeff Nathanson with production designer Nigel Phelps said to be returning as well.

Considering Joachim is busy with Maleficent 2 there is a good chance filming won’t be taking place until after that releases in late May 2020 and we assume could land a release in 2021-2022.

Now comes the big question, post-James Gunn will Disney tolerate the return of Johnny Depp in a sixth film?

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer seemingly doesn’t see any issues with Depp, stating last year to DigitalSpy that he didn’t see the franchise continuing without Depp. At the end of the day it’s a Disney property and they can do what they’d like with it. What else would Jerry say during the promotional tour?

“I just don’t see it,” says producer Jerry Bruckheimer, writing off any plans for future instalments without Captain Jack (as well as the ridiculous idea of anyone other than Depp ever playing him).

“The secret to any successful franchise is picking talented people, and Johnny is absolutely key to the success of Pirates. He’s such a unique character, such an endearing character, and such an irreverent character all in one.”

That seems to be harder and harder to swallow, even more so with fresh reports of Depp punching a crew member on his latest film leading to a lawsuit and a bizarre interview only cementing his erratic behaviour (not excluding previous domestic abuse allegations). It does seem like a good time for Walt Disney Studios to just wash their hands of him and just move forward with the franchise as weird as that sounds with Depp being the face of it.

It’s really hard to ignore that elephant in the room business-wise concerning Depp’s involvement with Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales and the big dip the latest film took at the box office potentially due to his participation. Dead Men ended up earning globally $795 million on a budget of $230 million versus the previous installment On Stranger Tides earning a whopping $1.045 billion on a budget of $250 million, Tides being the second biggest box office earner in the franchise.

From a financial standpoint, they might not want to keep him around just because of that huge $250 million drop.

Does Disney recast the role of Jack Sparrow, create an entirely new character or do they just focus on existing pirates?

The franchise has a bunch of existing characters such as Orlando Bloom’s Will Turner and his son Henry played by Brenton Thwaites, who could step in. There’s also Barbossa’s daughter Carina played by Kaya Scodelario,

That’s unless they create a new character and possibly seek a new actor entirely, I do have some of my own suggestions if the studio does look to replace Depp with another actor.

I wouldn’t be against seeing Sasha Baron Cohen takeover the lead, either him playing a member of the Sparrow family or an entirely new pirate lead. He already has a connection with the studio playing a big role in Alice In Wonderland: Through The Looking Glass. He also isn’t opposed to period films with roles in Hugo, Les Miserables, and Sweeney Todd.

Robert Downey Jr. seemingly might be ending his tenure at Marvel Studios or at the very least slowing down how many movies he appears in. He’s not opposed to using a British accent and could make for a charismatic replacement. Not too mention that Disney I’m sure will want to stay in business with Robert in the foreseeable future.

Emily Blunt has been quite the busy bee over at Disney with Into The Woods, Mary Poppins Returns and Jungle Cruise, she could make for an interesting pick as Disney does seem open to female protagonists and the franchise having a new female pirate at the helm could smooth things over with wary audiences. She’s proven her self multiple times with action roles like Sicario and Edge of Tomorrow that she can handle pretty much any type of genre, even comedy.

The ball is ultimately in Disney’s court but it’s going to be hard for them to take a stand like with James Gunn and keep employing actors like Johnny Depp (who has actual allegations of assault), it will be completely hypocritical and lead to a PR nightmare. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
https://thegww.com/pirates-of-the-ca...the-franchise/

DJariya 08-07-18 01:17 PM

Re: Pirates of the Carribean 6 - News, rumors, etc.

Who's asking for Pirates 6? Was the last one even considered a success? I saw it made just under $800M worldwide, but practically all that money was from foreign money. It was a bomb here 2 summers ago.

This series is getting more and more expensive to make with diminishing returns.

Josh-da-man 08-07-18 02:20 PM

Karen "Nebula" Gillan as Anne Bonny takes over from Depp.

https://unaffiliatedcritic.com/wp-co...ren-Gillan.jpg

dex14 08-07-18 02:23 PM

^^^ Yes, please.

DJariya 08-07-18 02:25 PM

I could get behind that. But, fuck Jack Sparrow.

Ranger 08-07-18 03:31 PM

I liked Pirates 5, but I hope the sixth is the final one.

JimRochester 08-07-18 03:46 PM

I thought 5 was an improvement over 4. It wasn't a bad way to spend an evening on a business trip. No interest in owning it, but it was a fun one time romp. Jack Sparrow was the key to this franchise. Without Depp it would have gone nowhere after the first.

Giantrobo 08-07-18 04:14 PM

I really dug the last one. Would watch 6 with or without Sparrow.

GoldenJCJ 08-07-18 04:18 PM

4 was terrible but I thought 5 was a nice return to form and actually thought it was quite enjoyable. I’d imagine a lot of that had to do with my expectations being extremely low after part 4.

That being said, I think part 5 wrapped up the series nicely and there is no need to continue. However, if they do continue, now would be a good time to end Jack Sparrow. I don’t see it happening any time soon considering I’m fairly certain Johnny Depp dons the Jack Sparrow costume any time he needs to achieve orgasm but a new series could be created in the pirates universe if done right.

RoboDad 08-07-18 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13385678)

That's just cruel, getting our hopes up like that (yeah, I know it's a still from Doctor Who, but it's also Karen Gillan).

Mabuse 08-07-18 06:17 PM

News, rumors, etc.

The news is: There hasn’t been a single Pirates of the Caribbean movie that was any good.
The rumor is: This one will suck too.
The etc is: My balls are sweaty.

dex14 08-07-18 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13385833)
News, rumors, etc.

The news is: There hasn’t been a single Pirates of the Caribbean movie that was any good.
The rumor is: This one will suck too.
The etc is: By balls are sweaty.

Say what you want, but the first was a great and fun summer movie. The rest... eh.

TGM 08-07-18 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13385833)
News, rumors, etc.

The etc is: My balls are sweaty.

like mom's spaghetti?

the first one was definitely a ton of fun.

Mabuse 08-07-18 06:56 PM

The first movie looks gorgeous and has terrific effects (heck they all do), but its script is a rambling, shambling, overlong mess. And the score is bombastic as hell.

fumanstan 08-07-18 07:07 PM

The first movie is still great. Music included (even if it is basically a rip of Gladiator).

I thought 2 and 3 were fine, 4 was bad, and 5 was entertaining again. I'm also kind of sick of Jack Sparrow though.

GoldenJCJ 08-07-18 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13385856)
The first movie is still great. Music included (even if it is basically a rip of Gladiator).

I thought 2 and 3 were fine, 4 was bad, and 5 was entertaining again. I'm also kind of sick of Jack Sparrow though.

I’ll agree with this.

It took repeat viewings for me to enjoy the first one. It now enjoy it quite a bit.

I really liked part 2 when I saw it in the theater but upon repeated viewings it feels overly long and I realized the entire cannibal island opening could have been edited out without changing the rest of the movie in any way. It also would have cut the run time down by about 30 minutes to a much more manageable length.

Part 3 was an odd movie and was perhaps more ambitious than it needed to be. It had some of the best visuals of the series.

Part 4 was a forgettable mess.

Part 5 was fun and as I said above, a fitting end to the series.

I’m not exactly itching for another PoTC film but I love the atmosphere and look of that world so of course I’ll watch any Pirates movie they make.

TomOpus 08-07-18 07:54 PM

Say what you will about the quality, the franchise has made $4.5 billion worldwide. Plus throw in merch.

Josh-da-man 08-07-18 07:58 PM

I like POTC more in concept than execution. If these movies had tighter, better scripts, they would be
Raiders of the Lost Ark-level badass.

As it stands, they're fairly middling adventure films with incredible art direction and some killer ideas like a Cthulhu-like Davey Jones captaining a Flying Dutchman crewed by Innsmouth fishmen, Krakens, mermiads, and ships crewed by skeletons... but they never quite pull together into anything truly great.

Hokeyboy 08-07-18 08:06 PM

I have no idea why they turned these movies into bloated $300 million special effects extravangazas.

Why not a lean, mean pirate movie with hints of the supernatural (implied more than shown) and a focus on navy vs. privateers? Something that doesn't have to be a bombastic over-the-top mess.

I really never liked any of these movies. I thought the first one was wildly overrated in 2003 (the script was total shit) and it all went downhill from there.

The Bus 08-07-18 08:32 PM

The second film is super fun.

GoldenJCJ 08-07-18 08:33 PM

I will say that a pirate crew of undead who turn into skeletons in the moonlight are infinitely better than a pirate crew with crustaceans and starfish stuck to their faces.

dex14 08-08-18 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 13385889)
I have no idea why they turned these movies into bloated $300 million special effects extravangazas.

Why not a lean, mean pirate movie with hints of the supernatural (implied more than shown) and a focus on navy vs. privateers? Something that doesn't have to be a bombastic over-the-top mess.

That is the way to go.

Dropping Depp may be the way to cut the money that gets poured into it. Not having to give him a huge paycheck would be a plus for them. But not having him could be an issue for the BO. I really do think he won't be in the next one though.

Hokeyboy 08-08-18 01:13 PM

If I were Disney I'd look into the feasibility of a "Pirates of the Caribbean" show on their streaming network. 10-episodes/season, filled with adventure, intrigue, action and excitement yes but with a strong story underneath. Have supernatural elements but keep them more subtle, more spooky.

Giantrobo 08-08-18 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13385905)
I will say that a pirate crew of undead who turn into skeletons in the moonlight are infinitely better than a pirate crew with crustaceans and starfish stuck to their faces.

Loved them both. I thought all the Ghost Crews from the various PotC films were cool.

Josh-da-man 08-08-18 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13385905)

The crew from Dead Man's Chest had a big Lovecraftian thing going on, but they didn't really play it up or take it where they could have.