Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for name of weird wacky 70's/80's Japanese or HK film

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-06-18, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with the name of a movie title for a very weird and goofy fantasy/comedy that I believe is from Japan. I also think it is based off a Japanese manga or comic, as the copy I was given had an advertisement for an animated version of the story.

I did not understand the plot fully, but the intro involved a man dressed in a blue costume that looked like a blue chicken with 4 legs (he also will appear with huge teeth), and he was standing up on top of a building making noises. There is a red sun that is smiling as well. The film then movies to a young boy and girl, and their strange adventures, mostly involving the boy. In one scene, he accidentally strangles himself with a rope that is tied to a ferris wheel, but the bird man rescues him. In another, he bites down on a woman's breast (which is clearly a balloon) and the woman starts making funny faces (this happens near the end as well). Other strange things happen such as dolls turning into humans and the boy and girl being taken to a restaurant or building with topless ladies. At the end, the bird man is seen kicking and tearing the ending credits.

Does this at all sound familiar? It seemed to be from the 70's or 80's, and kind of a fantasy/comedy with some light pinku elements to it. The tone of the film is extremely wacky and would almost seem like a children's film if not for the bursts of nudity. The film seems to run around 84 minutes. It has been driving me crazy trying to figure out what the title is, or who stars in it. I have even spent hours searching online with no results. I am pretty sure this was on dvd as the copy i was given shows a menu screen. I do have some screenshots, which i can attach.

Anyways, any help would be beyond amazing and thank you for taking the time to even read this!

Cheers!

Last edited by shanethemain; 08-06-18 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spacing
Old 08-06-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Looking for name of weird wacky 70's/80's Japanese or HK film

If anyone should know, I should--and I don't! Now I'm eager to learn what this is, too! I'm assuming it's live-action, right?

I don't know if you're able to post screen shots yet, but I'd like to see them.
Old 08-06-18, 05:13 PM

Oh I'm so glad you replied! I have posted this on a number of forums with no one responding, so thank you so much! I do have screenshots, but how do I post them on here? All I see is a URL option for a website link. The images are on my computer, if you can tell me how to upload them. Or, if its not against TOS, I can post my e-mail address here and send them to you that way. I am extremely curious to know what this film is, as I literally cannot find anything about it, no matter what I type on search engines or forums. I have never experienced something like this with a film that has so many memorable scenes.

Just let me know how to proceed, as this is definitely a film that should be more widely known and one that would probably be of huge interest to you!

Thanks!
Old 08-06-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shanethemain View Post
Oh I'm so glad you replied! I have posted this on a number of forums with no one responding, so thank you so much! I do have screenshots, but how do I post them on here? All I see is a URL option for a website link. The images are on my computer, if you can tell me how to upload them. Or, if its not against TOS, I can post my e-mail address here and send them to you that way. I am extremely curious to know what this film is, as I literally cannot find anything about it, no matter what I type on search engines or forums. I have never experienced something like this with a film that has so many memorable scenes.

Just let me know how to proceed, as this is definitely a film that should be more widely known and one that would probably be of huge interest to you!

Thanks!
Maybe a moderator can fill in the info, but I think you have to reach a number of posts before you can post pix. I wouldn't advise posting your email address here, though.

Also, is there any point where a narrator says the title in Japanese? Maybe you can write it down phonetically. I've figured out titles that way in the past.
Old 08-06-18, 05:20 PM

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Perhaps there is a free uploading/hosting site I can post the pictures, or I can put them up maybe on facebook? I have screenshots of the title and cast, so if you happen to speak Japanese maybe you could tell what it is, or who is in it. EDIT: If someone says the name of the film, I could not tell. The chicken character makes some noises and says some things, but it is hard to decipher.

Last edited by shanethemain; 08-06-18 at 05:23 PM. Reason: add to message
Old 08-06-18, 05:26 PM

the chicken character says: "Hiro Ni Chikaisa" isn't that something like early morning or daytime? but nothing about the title i dont guess
Old 08-06-18, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I can think of an angle over the next day or two, I'll pursue it. It just may be something that never got released in the U.S. and simply went under the radar of even the most hardcore U.S.-based fans of Japanese cinema. I googled "weird Japanese movies," but didn't come up with anything.
Old 08-06-18, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shanethemain View Post
the chicken character says: "Hiro Ni Chikaisa" isn't that something like early morning or daytime? but nothing about the title i dont guess
It's hard to know what "hiro" means out of context and without the kanji, but that means "(it's) near (whatever 'hiro' means in this context)."
Old 08-06-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If there are credits, it shouldn't be a hard task to figure out. Can you post them?
Old 08-06-18, 08:36 PM

Yes, I would like to post them. I have plenty that show the credits, but I dont seem to have the option as mine is still a new account. It only offers me the option of a URL, so if anyone knows of a hosting site, or if I can be allowed by moderators to post pictures, I will gladly do so, as you are right that it is the easiest way to figure this out. I could also post them on facebook if that would be ok. Please let me know how to proceed as I would really like to know what this film is.
Old 08-06-18, 10:03 PM

Apparently i need 30 posts, so im trying to get there haha!
Old 08-07-18, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 280 Posts

I use www.imgur.com to post pictures. Free, and the BBcode share link they provide works well with DVDTalk.
Old 08-07-18, 10:30 AM

I found out the film is METTA META GAKIDO KOZA from 1971 with Jo Shishido! Its from an old manga and was barely released even in Japan!
Old 08-07-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,048 Likes on 814 Posts

It sounds like a trip, basically a bunch of vignettes with comedy and a lot of beating people up.... I mean I don't even see the clip that the OP is talking about but the ones that I did find are crazy.

http://www.the-unknown-movies.com/un...ws/rev649.html

The mangaka is the one who popularized the whole "nose bleeding when you see something perverted" like in Dragon Ball.
Old 08-07-18, 10:47 AM

It truly is hilarious! That's one of the big reasons I was trying to find out the title, because it seemed to have been released on dvd at one point (based on the copy I was given).
Old 08-07-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's completely insane. That first clip showed a whole classroom of kids in the field of fire. Any one of them could have gotten hit by the things the teacher and student are throwing at each other. As a parent, I cringed while watching it.

When you said Jo Shishido, I looked up the chapter on him in the Nikkatsu Action Films book and there's no mention of this film nor is it listed in his filmography. But he's clearly in that first clip.
Old 08-07-18, 11:48 AM

Haha, yeah! And it is available from places like DVD Planet store (which has a full cast list) and Ioffer. Imdb has a listing for it, but not much info.

It really is worth watching!
Old 08-07-18, 07:00 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Sounds wild.

Welcome new member.
Old 08-08-18, 01:31 PM

Thanks so much, Mabuse! And thanks to everyone for their help!
Old 08-08-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad you found it!

The dialogue is pretty stupid. Pretty much what you'd expect. During that classroom fight a guy asks if it's an earthquake, the mother yells at the baby to study, etc.
Old 08-08-18, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Sounds like the Japanese version of Kentucky Fried Movie!
Old 08-09-18, 08:53 PM

Thanks! Yes I noticed about the dialogue (though I am very limited with Japanese). I found that DVD Planet Store offers an english translation, so I might get it to fully appreciate the experience.

If anyone knows of any other ridiculously over-the-top Japanese films like that, I would love to know.
Old 08-09-18, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

I need this movie.
Old 08-10-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

fuck, those clips are insane. I want to watch this movie.

https://www.ioffer.com/i/metta-meta-...dvdr-605491252

https://www.dvdplanetstore.pk/shop/c...ido-koza-1971/

Last edited by mrhan; 08-10-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-16-18, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a rip of this online and watched it tonight and it's easily in the top 3 most bizarre things I've ever watched. A lot of really violent slapstick comedy, but also a great deal of sexual assault, which was extra creepy because this kid's like 8-years old. It kind of runs out of steam by the end, but if you found either of the clips above amusing then this is worth a look.

I found Russian subtitles online and used a subtitle editor to translate it to English so I'd have some idea what they were saying. Obviously, that's not ideal, but the translation wasn't too terrible and it led to some really hilarious translations like a little boy saying "I've already seen enough of my pussy!"

The subtitle during the title translated it as "Lecture on the sexual maturation of Tanioki Yasuji", I have no idea how far off that is though. Letterboxd lists the movie as Go As Messy As Messy Can Be.

Last edited by Dr. Phibes; 08-16-18 at 11:26 PM.