Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow

To those mentioning the projects DC has announced, to be fair this is just an early rumor and source, so obviously DC hasn't officially announced anything here. I think a few of their projects are in super early stages via rumor or just an attached writer.
Old 08-07-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
They couldn't have announced this at SDCC?

I didn't really like Man of Steel, so I'd be fine with Supergirl replacing Man of Steel 2. Aquman and Shazam! should do well, so should Supergirl.
Gossip has it that Warner is balking at Henry Cavill's salary demands for Man of Steel 2. Cavill wants to be paid like an A-list star.

Some have suggested this Supergirl announcement is Warner's way of saying we can always go in a different direction, we don't need you as Superman.
Old 08-07-18, 05:57 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Gossip has it that Warner is balking at Henry Cavill's salary demands for Man of Steel 2. Cavill wants to be paid like an A-list star.

Some have suggested this Supergirl announcement is Warner's way of saying we can always go in a different direction, we don't need you as Superman.
That limey bitch!
Old 08-07-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
No, not yet. Mike86 hasn't commented yet.
Something like this doesn’t bother me because it’s a character that actually justifies a film rather than random C list character is getting a movie. The only criticism I have which is still valid in my view is there’s still a pile of films that are announced/in development or whatever that they seemingly keep adding to while very few actually get made.
Old 08-07-18, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

If true, that's a mistake. They still need Superman headlining their JL. Unless they're going to go a different direction that the big 7 with JL (well, Cyborg in the place of MM), which would also be a mistake.

Can't wait until they announce an Artemis movie to put pressure on Gadot.
Old 08-07-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Something like this doesn’t bother me because it’s a character that actually justifies a film rather than random C list character is getting a movie. The only criticism I have which is still valid in my view is there’s still a pile of films that are announced/in development or whatever that they seemingly keep adding to while very few actually get made.
The only thing that justifies a film to me is a good/great story.

You can accomplish that with D-list characters if you are forced to.
Also, too often the high awareness property element is an excuse to slack off in that area.

I love the character of Supergirl. Benoist is better essaying her than I ever expected based on studio promo shots. She isn't the prettiest choice to me, but she has the far more essential and elusive qualities to get the job done.

If this is totally divorced from the TV show, they can do a lot worse than MB and probably will.
Old 08-07-18, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
The only thing that justifies a film to me is a good/great story.

You can accomplish that with D-list characters if you are forced to.
Not that I disagree entirely but I just feel like DC has placed a lot of emphasis on films for minor characters early on when they haven’t gotten a good grasp on their main characters yet. To me that’s more where the focus should be going.

Something like Supergirl I’m fine with though because while not the most popular DC character she at least is recognizable because of her ties to Superman and with the cultural environment we live in now days and studios wanting to do more projects with females it at least makes sense in that regard. This makes more sense to me than something like Lobo is Deathstroke or two Joker films or the endless barrage of DC films stuck in development hell.
Old 08-08-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
If true, that's a mistake. They still need Superman headlining their JL. Unless they're going to go a different direction that the big 7 with JL (well, Cyborg in the place of MM), which would also be a mistake.

Can't wait until they announce an Artemis movie to put pressure on Gadot.
It's all a game of chicken between Cavill and the studio. I think Warner wants Cavill back as Superman, I think the fans want him back, and Cavill still wants the job.

But Cavill wants to be paid like his Superman movies have made Marvel blockbuster money. He would have gotten paid if Batman v Superman had topped one billion.
Old 08-08-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's all a game of chicken between Cavill and the studio. I think Warner wants Cavill back as Superman, I think the fans want him back, and Cavill still wants the job.

But Cavill wants to be paid like his Superman movies have made Marvel blockbuster money. He would have gotten paid if Batman v Superman had topped one billion.
Did they not lock Cavill into a multi picture deal or something? Was it only three films?
Old 08-08-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did they not lock Cavill into a multi picture deal or something? Was it only three films?
Last I heard Cavill has one more movie left on his contract.
Old 08-08-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

But Cavill wants to be paid like his Superman movies have made Marvel blockbuster money.
I hope Cavill doesn't do something stupid. I think DC might actually be finally coming around to the idea that audiences don't want a brooding Superman. A script that gets the character right with Cavill in the lead would likely be a huge hit and do wonders for Cavill's career. But that isn't going to happen if DC calls his salary bluff. He should take what they're offering (within reason) and bank on future dividends.
Old 08-08-18, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Last I heard Cavill has one more movie left on his contract.
A quick search does make it seem like Cavill has one more movie on his contract. I wonder if WB doesn't want to bother with MoS2 if they can't lock him down for more movies, so that if they can't agree to more movies it makes it easier for them to decide how to proceed with the DCEU.
Old 08-08-18, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I think at first WB wanted Cavill to be the next Bale with a strong MoS trilogy but changed the plan after Avengers's success.

Maybe Supergirl is just a way to give Cavill something to do while waiting for Justice League 2.

"Here's $5 million, just show up to help out SUpergirl and you'll get more for Justice League 2."
Old 08-08-18, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think any sequel to Justice League is dead for quite a while. It’s going to be a while for the stink of the first film to wear off.
Old 08-08-18, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I kinda doubt that they’d just push Superman to the sidelines and replace him with Supergirl. I mean Supergirl is popular enough but Superman is, well Superman. He’s pretty much the iconic hero and I have a hard time believing WB/DC would realistically think he’s that disposable. I can see Cavill being recast just like I can see a lot of the current casting choices being recast other than Gadot because none of the others are really definitively their character but I don’t see Superman going away. Maybe for a while but certainly not long term.
Old 08-09-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Man of Steel 2 with Cavill returning is still up in the air. Warner is playing their cards very close to the vest on the matter. Personally, I believe the studio is licking its wounds after the debacle that was Justice League. They are being gun-shy about their next big superhero projects. Cavill is not getting any younger and it's hard seeing him play Superman 5-7 years down the road. Remember, movie studios think in terms of trilogies for their franchises.

Wonder Woman was an unqualified success, she's sticking around whether or not Warner reboots their entire superhero movie line-up. They are likely waiting to see if Aquaman is a box office success as well. If that movie tanks, Warner could blow up their entire DC movie line-up.
Old 08-09-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cavill I agree could go away. Same with Affleck. Superman and Batman will continue though. Whether it’s rebooting or recasting or whatever I don’t see either of them being sidelined. Those aren’t small characters who are just swept aside because a couple films didn’t work.
Old 08-26-18, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: REED MORANO IS ON THE TOP OF WB’S WISH-LIST TO DIRECT THE NEW ‘SUPERGIRL’ MOVIE

https://thegww.com/reed-morano-is-on...pergirl-movie/
Old 08-26-18, 09:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Who?
Old 08-26-18, 09:23 PM

She won an Emmy for directing The Handmaid’s Tale.
Old 08-26-18, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Ok, now it’s getting interesting.
Old 05-31-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Little tid-bit in Forbes:

Supergirl is tentatively expected to start production in the first quarter of 2020, and I suspect we'll hear casting information start to circulate in a few months.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#2943a9be1555
Old 02-19-21, 12:54 PM

Will first appear in The Flash film.

EXCLUSIVE: Chosen from over 425 actresses who auditioned, The Young and the Restless Daytime Emmy nominee Sasha Calle has scored the feature role of DC Universe’s new Supergirl. The Boston, MA born-Columbian actress is the first Latina Supergirl ever in DC.

Andy Muschietti watched all the auditions and I hear, along with DC Film Boss Walter Hamada and the producers, were blown away by the actress’ toughness and vulnerability that she brought to the role.

“I saw more than four hundred auditions. The US,Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia . The talent pool was truly amazing and it was very hard to make a decision, but we finally found an actress who was destined to play this role,” said The Flash director Andy Muschietti who has a keen eye for discovering talent, in particular all the young actors from the first It movie.

The actresses weren’t informed what part they were reading for; until very late in the process. Calle also did a chemistry read with Flash star Ezra Miller. All auditions, chem reads and meetings, especially during Covid, were done over Zoom. Calle will fly to The Flash production soon. Calle’s discovery here is akin to what Warners and Zack Snyder did in casting fresh face Gal Gadot, who was known previously from Fast & Furious 6, in the role of Wonder Woman, which catapulted here into being a global star; the Israeli actress making her debut as that DC superhero initially in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice before starring in Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman 1984 and Justice League.

Last edited by dex14; 02-19-21 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-19-21, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, so is this a new character or something in the TV universe?

edited to add: oh, stupid me I saw Flash and thought of the TV show. Got it. So a multiverse Supergirl at the very least.
Old 02-20-21, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. And besides, the sixth season of Supergirl is the last so it will be off the air by the time The Flash movie opens.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.