Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Illang: The Wolf Brigade (d: Kim Jee-woon, 2018, Netflix) Live-action Jin-roh

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-04-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Stumbled across this earlier, figured I'd make a thread. Jin-roh, the anime and manga, are pretty well known. This had a $17m (usd) budget, made back $6m of it opening weekend (last weekend) and likely made the rest back with the Netflix distribution deal for all non-Korean regions.

Kim Jee-woon directed The Quiet Family, A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life, I Saw the Devil, The Good The Bad and The Weird, and erm The Last Stand...among others.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-04-18 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts
Re: Illang: The Wolf Brigade (d: Kim Jee-woon, 2018, Netflix) Live-action Jin-roh

Yeah, I only found out about this project, because I follow Steve Wang (creature creator artist) and his company did the special effects and costume work for the film. It's also directed by Kim Jee Woon (I Saw the Devil).
Old 08-04-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Illang: The Wolf Brigade (d: Kim Jee-woon, 2018, Netflix) Live-action Jin-roh

I saw the Devil was fucking awesome. I'll check this out.
Old 10-20-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is now live on Netflix.
Old 10-21-18, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

I watched this today. I haven't seen Jin-roh in nearly 2 decades, but from what I can recall, despite the change in location and time, the films starts off very faithful to the anime. It then ramps up the action considerably. There's also some additional plotting, which I frankly found confusing, and some more character moments. Finally, it changes the ending of the film.

Visually, it's a treat, and the action sequences are well done. I don't think it has quite the emotional impact of Jin-roh though.
Old 10-21-18, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just finished watching it and it was awesome. I hate the new cumbersome title, though. They should have just called it Wolf Brigade - Illang is weird.
Old 10-21-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just finished watching it and it was awesome. I hate the new cumbersome title, though. They should have just called it Wolf Brigade - Illang is weird.
Illang means "werewolf" in Korean, just like Jin-Roh does in Japanese (both mean literally "Man Wolf"). "The Wolf Brigade" subtitle was only added for the international release of both movies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illang:_The_Wolf_Brigade
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin-Roh:_The_Wolf_Brigade
https://translate.google.com/?rlz=1C...BA%BA%E7%8B%BC
Old 10-21-18, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Good movie. Just a bit unnecessary. Made it hard to find true value in it.

They still haven’t made a four star manga or anime adaptation. Movies like this and Ghost in the Shell got close. It’s still out there somewhere. It just hasn’t been made yet.
Old 10-21-18, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Good movie. Just a bit unnecessary. Made it hard to find true value in it.

They still haven’t made a four star manga or anime adaptation. Movies like this and Ghost in the Shell got close. It’s still out there somewhere. It just hasn’t been made yet.
Oldboy and Battle Royale worked well for me.
Old 10-21-18, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Oldboy and Battle Royale worked well for me.
Well, Battle Royale was a prose novel first, which is technically what the movie is based off of. The manga came out the same year as the movie.

Oldboy is a good example though.

The Lone Wolf and Cub series actually started out as a manga:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_and_Cub