Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

McScam - McDonald’s Monopoly game scandal (D: Affleck) S: Damon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 01:17 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Fox is poised to win the hot lit property in the marketplace at the moment, a giant Happy Meal that everyone wanted. Ben Affleck is attached to direct, and Matt Damon to star in a true crime story written by Jeff Maysh and published in The Daily Beast several days ago on an ex-cop who rigged the McDonald’s Monopoly game, allegedly stealing over $24 million dollars and sharing it with an unsavory group of co-conspirators who offered kickbacks to the mastermind. The Pearl Street partners will produce, and the Deadpool scribes Paul Wernick & Rhett Reese will write the script.

Sources said that bidding was ferocious for Maysh’s How An Ex-Cop Rigged McDonald’s Monopoly Game And Stole Millions. Lining up to bid were Universal for Kevin Hart, Warner Bros for John Requa & Glenn Ficarra and Steve Carell and producer Andrew Lazar, and Netflix, which bid for producing partners Eric Newman & Bryan Unkeless, Robert Downey Jr & Susan Downey, and Todd Phillips. The auction was handled by IPG’s Joel Gotler, who repped Maysh. David Klawans, who got rights to the article and exec veep on Affleck’s Oscar-winning Argo, is exec producing.

The article opens in 2001 in Rhode Island, as a million dollar check is delvered to a man who said he’d won the $1 million grand prize after collecting Monopoly pieces attached to food products, defying the 1 in 250 million odds and modeled after the venerable board game that the piece says was invented as a warning about the destructive nature of greed. A camera crew was dispatched to hear how the man won, and they chronicled his series of lies. They were FBI agents closing in on a sting that began with a tip about an “Uncle Jerry,” who’d sell stolen game pieces. Solid detective work unearthed Jerry Jacobson, a head of security for a Los Angeles company responsible for generating the game pieces. It led to a wide conspiracy that involved mobsters, psychic, strip-club owners, drug traffickers and a family of Mormons who falsely claimed to have won more than $24 million in cash and prizes.

Pearl Street veep Madison Ainley brought in the project and will shepherd it for Pearl Street. Matt Reilly will steer it for Fox. Reilly worked with Affleck on The Town when he was an exec at Warner Bros before moving to Fox.

IPG brokered the sale, and WME reps Affleck and Damon, and Reese & Wernick.
https://deadline.com/2018/08/ben-aff...se-1202438868/

Original Daily Beast article: https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-an...stole-millions
Old 08-02-18, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: How an Ex-Cop Rigged McDonald’s Monopoly Game & Stole Millions (D: Affleck) S: Da

My friend just sent me the article about the actual true story a couple days ago. It's a fascinating story and read.

The material seems like a good fit for Affleck.

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-02-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: How an Ex-Cop Rigged McDonald’s Monopoly Game & Stole Millions (D: Affleck) S: Da

Geez, this sounds awesome. I love true crime stuff like this.
Old 08-02-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Definitely interested!
Old 08-02-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

This is already getting a movie? Didn't the news of the real event just come out like a week ago?
Old 08-02-18, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan
This is already getting a movie? Didn't the news of the real event just come out like a week ago?
The DB article was published last week. The events were years ago: https://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/22/u...-contests.html
Old 08-02-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I've been wanting an onscreen reunion with Affleck and Damon for sometime. I'll settle for this though.
Old 08-02-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

They've got to change the title though, it's too long and contains two trademarks in the title. I suggest Go Directly To Jail
Old 08-02-18, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
They've got to change the title though, it's too long and contains two trademarks in the title. I suggest Go Directly To Jail
Good suggestion. I must admit seeing the thread title and assuming it was in "Other" until catching the names of Affleck and Damon
Old 08-02-18, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

As I was reading the article I thought someone needs to make a movie ASAP. Awesome
Old 08-02-18, 04:04 PM

I doubt it will be the title of the film, but it is the title of the article. And it was better than putting McDonalds/Monolopy Heist movie for the thread title.

Your suggestion is clever. I like it. Make that happen.
Old 08-02-18, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
I doubt it will be the title of the film, but it is the title of the article.
For its entire production the 1994 Nic Cage/ Bridget Fonda romantic comedy was called "Cop Gives Waitress $2M Tip" before they changed the name at almost the last minute to "It Could Happen To You", which is a terrible, generic title that has absolutely nothing to do with the picture at all. I still hate that title and wish they had just stuck with the tabloid headline.
Old 08-02-18, 04:30 PM

Old 08-02-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like that for a title, also. It was a bit of humor to it, and I found the story to have that somewhat in the vein of Catch Me If You Can. However I doubt Parker Bros will let that title fly. Don't know if Go Directly to Jail is trademarked... but it wouldn't surprise me. Even if not, they might mount a legal challenge, which is often enough in itself.

Just read about this the other day. Fascinating story... and I'm not typically interested in these sort of things.
Old 08-02-18, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It's also interesting that the article points out how the trial happened right before 9/11. I was wondering why something like this wasn't much bigger news because I sure as hell don't remember it despite how big the McDonald's monopoly game is.
Old 08-02-18, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

It sounds odd which should be fun to watch.
Old 08-03-18, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Geez, this sounds awesome. I love true crime stuff like this.
Same here!!
Old 08-03-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Sounds interesting. I’ll checn it out.
Old 08-03-18, 12:38 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Happy Steal?
Old 08-03-18, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hamburglar: The Motion Picture?
Old 08-04-18, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
This was revealed years ago?! I'm surprised it's taken so long to make a movie to be honest.
Old 03-22-19, 10:15 AM

re: McScam - McDonald’s Monopoly game scandal (D: Affleck) S: Damon

It's said that, moving forward, Fox will only be able to make around four theatrical films and four streaming films a year which is a huge change for a studio previously responsible for a full slate of movies.....

Alan Horn is now in charge of greenlighting projects and, sadly, movies like Ben Affleck's drama about an ex-cop who rigged the McDonald's Monopoly game and stole $24 million is now in doubt, despite it having Matt Damon attached to star and boasting a script by Deadpool's Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-f...for-tv-a167327

Old 03-22-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

booooo. maybe they will reunite in the Jay and Silent Bob reboot. lol.
Old 03-22-19, 03:47 PM

Wut? Come on Disney. I put up with you making an unwatchable adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time. You owe me this.
Old 03-24-19, 10:56 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The true story of Argo is great. Reading the Wikipedia page about Argo is thrilling. And Afleck fucked it up. He’d probably fuck this up too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.