Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Midsommar (2019, D: Ari Aster) -- S: Pugh, Poulter, Reynor, Harper

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Midsommar (2019, D: Ari Aster) -- S: Pugh, Poulter, Reynor, Harper

Old 07-07-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Midsommar (2019, D: Ari Aster) -- S: Pugh, Poulter, Reynor, Harper

Probably the best movie of the year.
Old 07-07-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I actually am finding myself liking this one even more as time has passed since seeing it. It will be a day 1 for me on Blu-Ray and hopefully they include the longer cut.
Old 07-08-19, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Even though I somewhat expected it, there was a lot of laughter during the screening that I attended. Partially due to the over-the-top nature of the film but also because laughing is a coping mechanism. It was clear that the scenes that caused the most laughter with this particular audience, were places folks felt the most uncomfortable.
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I just saw this ... and fortunately my viewing wasn't ruined by inappropriate laughter.
How are you guys not getting that many moments in the film were intended to be humorous? This movie is just as much a dark comedy as it is a horror film or anything else. You mean to tell me the old lady pushing on Christian's ass while he was having sex wasn't mean't to be funny?
Old 07-08-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Saw 'Midsommar' yesterday morning - and the thing is still rattling around in my head. Just a wonderfully weird trip all the way around.
Florence Pugh is remarkable throughout. I was not familiar with her before this, and she completely wowed me with her performance.

Ballsy move to have the runtime almost hit two-and-a-half hours, especially on a film that unspooled so slowly. It all worked for me, with the compounding sense of unease - but I don't see this resonating with the masses for the runtime reason. Not that I care, because I loved it.

I still hold 'Hereditary' as one of the finest horror films of recent memory and I dug 'Midsommar' for a prickly 'things ain't right' vibe.
I am ready for whatever Aster does next.
Old 07-08-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
How are you guys not getting that many moments in the film were intended to be humorous? This movie is just as much a dark comedy as it is a horror film or anything else. You mean to tell me the old lady pushing on Christian's ass while he was having sex wasn't mean't to be funny?
I said it wasn't ruined by inappropriate laughter. People laughed at the parts that were supposed to be funny. But if I had a crowd like the one I saw Heriditary with they would've laughed at scenes like
Spoiler:
the beginning when Dani's sister killed herself and her parents.
Old 07-08-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Ahh. ok. Gotcha. My bad.
Old 07-08-19, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the opening sequence was probably the most tense part of the movie. I felt very uneasy watching it. I also like the use of jump/smash cuts in the first act used to convey time passage and Dani's inability to cope.
Old 07-09-19, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

I knew nothing about this going in, other than Ari Aster. While I didn’t like Hereditary, I highly respected Aster’s abilities and what he was going for ... at least, I think I didn’t like it. I’m still not sure. Anyway, I was in for this. I had not seen a single trailer or commercial and was thankful for that.

Midsummer is another visually stunning, technically astounding picture as was Hereditary. Unfortunately, it is also like Hereditary in the fact that the loose threads left on this picture are preventing me from loving it.

Aster relied on too many tropes in building this marvelous analogy of a break up. Awkwardly funny without being comedic, horrifically unsettling without being a horror film ... I love Aster’s ability to hit notes without really playing them.

Once again, I am left conflicted by Aster’s work and looking forward to another viewing. I am really looking forward to the discussion and analysis in the coming days.

My audience didn’t laugh too much. Really the only reaction I picked up was the guy who very loudly proclaimed at the credits ‘That’s the strangest f###ing movie I’ve seen in years!”

Did anybody else notice the flowers breathing?
Old 07-09-19, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I don't think that laughter is always a coping mechanism. We laughed out loud when one of them mentioned hair pie. I half expected Takashi Toshiro to pop up and say, "sank you." The movie had some creepy and disturbing moments, but I think you can get that from many of the cults that exist. I just didn't find much of it horrific.
I should have been more specific with my comment. The hair pie comment was definitely intended to be funny and the audience reacted accordingly. The way the line was delivered made me laugh as well.

The scene where there was the most laughter was
Spoiler:
during the sex scene with Christian & Maja. The laughter came about before the women of Harga were moaning in unison with Maja or pushing Christian from behind. I can definitely understand how the latter would be very humorous but the audience starting their laughter long before signified it was an uncomfortable experience.

When shown violence, many audiences sort of zone out or cheer, while sexuality or nudity is an uncomfortable place. In the past, having seen films like Blue Velvet & The Handmaiden in theaters, scenes involving any sort of sexuality were met with laughter. Then again this could just be a reflection of the regions that I am viewing these various films in.

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
As I mentioned above, I should have clarified my comment. Laughing at the scene that you mention was very much intended. That isn't lost on me.

Laughter during the beginning of that scene, especially large amounts of it was a little distracting.

The audience I saw it with laughed just seeing
Spoiler:
the Harga women nude behind Maja. Then laughed more when she silently spread her legs.

As Brainee mentioned, at my screening, it wasn't inappropriate laughter, it was definitely laughter during parts that weren't intended to be funny. Hence why I brought up laughter being a coping mechanism for this audience's level of comfort regarding sexuality.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Did anybody else notice the flowers breathing?

I noticed it within
Spoiler:
Dani's May Queen Flower Arrangements.

Though I could be wrong and might be imagining that

Last edited by asianxcore; 07-09-19 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
I noticed it within
Spoiler:
Dani's May Queen Flower Arrangements.

Though I could be wrong and might be imagining that
Nope, you are correct. Although there are others in that same scene, that was the first one that caught my eye. Symbolism of that? My thought is that all life is interconnected, a theme that seemed very repeated throughout.
Old 07-10-19, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also noticed
Spoiler:
Other morphing effects, like smiles that were just a little too wide. They were all subtle though, like I wasn't quite sure if I was imagining them or not. Pretty cool.
Old 07-10-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I also noticed
Spoiler:
Other morphing effects, like smiles that were just a little too wide. They were all subtle though, like I wasn't quite sure if I was imagining them or not. Pretty cool.
Oh yes,

Spoiler:
there was a lot of visual manipulation going on, particularly with peoples’ faces throughout the movie. A lot of it was in the eyes also — making them bigger, changing colors, etc. Typically those were used in scenes involving the effects of drug use.
Old 07-11-19, 08:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees View Post
Characters sometimes act stupid and are a little too oblivious to the apparent danger surrounding them. And some attempts to generate suspense or a sense of foreboding fell flat because they were too heavy handed or too obvious as to where they were heading..
I agree with the first point, but disagree on the second. I actually think the predictability of certain scenes actually works in the film's favor. For me, it built a palpable sense of dread and terror... you know a terrible thing is going to happen and everyone is helpless to stop it.

But yeah, the characters go from being mortified at that first big scene to being chill way too easily... and the one sneaking into forbidden places to take photos after that, a bit too 'stupid horror movie character decision' for a film like this. Plus I really think the Americans really should have been skeptical of the buddy who brought them there right after that scene... you can accept that the others wouldn't have warned them about what was about to happen, but a guy who had lived in the US as a student would have known how shocking this would be to an outsider...
so that should have been a major red flag.
Old 07-11-19, 05:28 PM

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Already clocking in at two hours and 27 minutes, director Ari Aster revealed in an ongoing reddit AMA session that he’s “working on an extended cut” of the film that “will be at least 30 mins longer.”

What might we see in the additional footage? While he doesn’t say, he does reveal that Midsommar was initially tagged with a “NC-17” rating by the MPAA that lasted “for six weeks.” It took “lots of back-and-forth” with the MPAA to land the film’s final “R” rating.
Old 07-11-19, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 506 Posts

Cool, then I really will wait to see it in home video.
Old 07-12-19, 06:43 PM

Received 90 Likes on 83 Posts

I enjoyed this movie. The plot is actually very straightforward, but Aster throws in so many elements that make it a rich experience.

I read on another forum that one viewer had an issue with the decision at the end.
Spoiler:
She felt that Dani deciding to sacrifice Christian was acceptable in today's society because it's the girl reeking vengeance on the guy for stepping out on her. The commenter felt that audiences would lose their minds had it been Dani mating with a male Harga and Christian sacrificing her at the end.

It's an interesting point, but the commenter does seem to gloss over the pre-titles sequence which puts the two leads on different footing.
Spoiler:
I don't know if audiences would be forgiving towards Christian if the roles were reversed at the end but also at the beginning with Christian going through the trauma of losing his family to a murder-suicide.

Thoughts?
Old 07-17-19, 01:52 PM

We’ve been talking a lot about Ari Aster‘s extended cut of Midsommar, which is said to run around three hours in length, 30-minutes longer than the theatrical cut that’s now in theaters.

Aster had teased a potential festival screening prior to this fall’s Blu-ray release, and this morning news hit of a World Premiere to take place at
the Lincoln Center in New Tork City on August 17th. The screening will be of what they’re calling a “director’s cut” as opposed to just an extended cut, which implies it was Aster’s original vision before the MPAA got involved (it was originally an NC-17 for six weeks).

Aster will appear in person for a Q+A following the screening. We’re jealous.

While details are slim, Aster previously explained that we can expect a more developed picture between several relationships: “A more nuanced picture of Harga, more rituals and more nuance for the relationship between Dani (Florence Pugh) and Christian (Jack Reynor), and more by way of the thesis competition between Josh (William Jackson Harper) and Christian.”

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...k-august-17th/
Old 07-17-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

I am surprised they are acknowledging the director's cut so soon for a movie like this. It makes me just not want to see it now and wait for the longer cut on video when it comes out. Seems they would wait to mention stuff like this until the movie had a decent run in the theater.
Old 07-17-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

The soundtrack for this film is awesome
Old 08-09-19, 06:07 PM

Received 904 Likes on 524 Posts

This is now playing in both the local AMC theaters and the local cheap seats. I have AMC A-List but the cheap seats fit my timeline today so I went for it. I enjoyed it overall, though I kept checking my watch because it is long. I don't know, it's tough to say "Make it shorter" when so much of it is about lingering shots and building tension. Maybe some of the times where we as audience are clearly ahead of the protagonists? Like the cliff scene? But then we'd lose the uneasiness that we get to feel in the midst of that scene for our own experience. So I'm not sure what I'd trim but it still felt too long. I had a similar experience with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood earlier this summer.

I went in pretty cold so the opening was shocking as was much of "how" the story went down, though most of what happened was pretty inevitable. There were things I saw coming a mile away though ultimately the ending had some surprises. Great art direction, wonderful cinematography, and I thought the cast did well. That included the extras, who I completely believed as the crowd of weirdos. There are some loose threads here and there but I'm fine with that because the setting strikes me as a place where no one ever really fully knows what's going on, so neither should we.

A few standout moments:
- When the old lady clearly had tears in her eyes as she took her drink at the table.
- How long the camera was framed in close-up on Dani's face while she called Christian in the beginning.
- Mark saying he has to go to the bathroom, staying with other characters, and then minutes later coming back to Mark. I think it was all one shot, even, that was brilliant story pacing.
- Great use of art both in America and at the gathering place for so much foreshadowing. That was awesome.
- The meat pies. My wife saw it a few weeks back and I asked if there are meat pies. She said no, but there they are. What is the meat is not that ambiguous to me!
- Lots of acting without dialogue. Many sideways glances and body language to convey how people are feeling or thinking about each other's moves. Loved that.

I have one theory I'll throw out here and put it in spoilers:
Spoiler:
I think Pelle killed Dani's sister and parents. The duct tape gas mask harness around her face could have been to make sure she finished the job, sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was all part of an elaborate plot to get Dani there. It only sounds crazy if you don't consider, oh, I don't know, how many other people get murdered. And he used manipulation of Christian and Dani to get her there, including that moment in the apartment.

I haven't heard that anywhere, so if I'm right, I get to be famous and stuff.
Old 08-09-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No. Just ... no.
Old 08-10-19, 06:30 AM

I’ve heard that theory other places.
Old 08-10-19, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe it’s just me, but I am so sick of “everything must be connected” and “every main character has to be special/the chosen one.”

That theory takes so much away from this movie and disrespects the intelligence of the audience.
Old 08-10-19, 03:50 PM

Received 904 Likes on 524 Posts

Don't you get it, Abob? We're setting you up to be the chosen one right now. Your doubt makes you the ideal... specimen.
Old 08-27-19, 11:29 AM

A24 has confirmed that the Director’s Cut will indeed be released in select theaters this Friday, August 30. It runs 171 minutes, featuring “new scenes and extended footage”.

<iframe width="684" height="385" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CCrkiJFJGMA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
LET THE FESTIVITIES CONTINUE.

From writer/director Ari Aster (Hereditary) and starring Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, William Jackson Harper, and Will Poulter.

MIDSOMMAR the Director's Cut, featuring new scenes and extended footage — In Theaters NATIONWIDE this weekend!

RELEASE DATE: August 30, 2019

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.