Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Searching for a movie I saw long ago

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-25-18, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there! I'm looking for the title of a movie I viewed years ago when I was a kid, I'm a teenager and I don't think the movie is really old. I'll describe it by memory and I hope the infos are accurate and that someone can identify that movie to help me find it. I searched for hours on google but didn't find anything even when using various keywords. So here's how I remember the plot; The movie is about a white racist woman, from what I remember she's really disrespectful to a black guy that I think works for her, like she's his boss in the company I think. One day that woman goes to see a doctor and I think she gets diagnosed with vitiligo and overtime her skin turns darker till she has a completely black skin. From that point on she changes as she sees how the people she discriminated are living it and she eventually engages in a romantic relationship with the black guy she used to bully at work. And then her skin slowly starts to turn white again and she can't bring herself to tell the man who she really is, as he doesn't know it's his boss with a skin condition that he fell in love with. She asks the doctor if she can turn black again but of course she's told that she can't and all. Eventually the two of them get together and marry, have a family and have a happy ending after the truth is revealed. I know it's not a very detailed description and maybe not completely accurate but if someone recognizes from that description the movie I'm talking about I'd really like to have the title. I think it was a romantic comedy or maybe dramatic, I'll continue my search. I have some additional info but since it's from what I remember from years ago it might not be accurate and maybe completely false; I think the woman had curly dirty blonde hair before changing skin color.
Thanks in advance if you can answer me~!
Old 07-25-18, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 187 Likes on 131 Posts
Re: Searching for a movie I saw long ago

Sounds a lot like Robocop.
Old 07-25-18, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Old 07-25-18, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll take a stab at it: Soul Man?
Old 07-25-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts

Are you sure you were a kid when you saw this?
Old 07-25-18, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MissMadHatter View Post
Hey there! I'm looking for the title of a movie I viewed years ago when I was a kid. So here's how I remember the plot; The movie is about a white racist woman, from what I remember she's really disrespectful to a black guy that I think works for her, like she's his boss in the company I think. One day that woman goes to see a doctor and I think she gets diagnosed with vitiligo and overtime her skin turns darker till she has a completely black skin. From that point on she changes as she sees how the people she discriminated are living it and she eventually engages in a romantic relationship with the black guy she used to bully at work. And then her skin slowly starts to turn white again and she can't bring herself to tell the man who she really is, as he doesn't know it's his boss with a skin condition that he fell in love with. She asks the doctor if she can turn black again but of course she's told that she can't and all. Eventually the two of them get together and marry, have a family and have a happy ending after the truth is revealed. I know it's not a very detailed description and maybe not completely accurate but if someone recognizes from that description the movie I'm talking about I'd really like to have the title. I think it was a romantic comedy or maybe dramatic, I'll continue my search. I have some additional info but since it's from what I remember from years ago it might not be accurate and maybe completely false; I think the woman had curly dirty blonde hair before changing skin color.

Driving Miss Daisy ?
Old 07-25-18, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Vitiligo makes you lose pigment and makes your skin pale white (in patches) not darker. Nothing makes you darker all over except tanning.
Old 07-25-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 136 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj View Post
Driving Miss Daisy ?
Actually the sequel: Becoming Hoke Colburn

Or, more likely, the French musical (!) AGATHE CLÉRY (2008), wherein the disease is the very real Addison Syndrome (albeit the comedy-friendly version), although the protagonist doesn't have curly dirty blonde hair pre-transformation:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4GOwF4-8Rzs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xbmjzt8J0y0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now the real question, will "MissMadHatter" actually respond with more details?

Last edited by Brian T; 07-25-18 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-25-18, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Nothing makes you darker all over except tanning.
And tanning pills.

Old 07-25-18, 11:29 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 581 Likes on 417 Posts

Vitiligo makes you lose pigment and makes your skin pale white (in patches) not darker. Nothing makes you darker all over except tanning.
Thanks a lot, Dr. deGrasse Tyson.
Old 07-25-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Moonwalker
Old 07-25-18, 05:07 PM

Hi! Sorry I gave informations that weren't accurate, I was about 9 years old when I saw the movie. After looking at the replies I found the movie I was looking for, it is actually Agathe Cléry! I didn't remember accurately most details such as the hair, in my memory it was dirty blonde but seems it's a fake memory I had and I mistaken her skin condition for vitiligo since it was about the skin changing color. I'm really sorry if some were offended in some way by my lack of knowledge on the matter, I wrote my post late at night after trying to search for hours for the movie Agathe Cléry without having any clue on what to search, too lazy to search more about vitiligo and realize I was on the wrong track. Though I had some doubts I was, but it was the closest example I had to what I remembered. Anyway, I'm sure the movie I was looking for was in fact Agathe Cléry, her face is way too familiar. For now I'll find it and watch it, after I'll be sure about if it is in fact that movie I was looking for (^^)/
Thanks a whole lot for your reply~
Old 07-25-18, 05:20 PM

Hi! Sorry I gave informations that weren't accurate, I was about 9 years old when I saw the movie. After looking at the replies I found the movie I was looking for, it is actually Agathe Cléry! I didn't remember accurately most details such as the hair, in my memory it was dirty blonde but seems it's a fake memory I had and I mistaken her skin condition for vitiligo since it was about the skin changing color. I'm really sorry if some were offended in some way by my lack of knowledge on the matter, I wrote my post late at night after trying to search for hours for the movie Agathe Cléry without having any clue on what to search, too lazy to search more about vitiligo and realize I was on the wrong track. Though I had some doubts I was, but it was the closest example I had to what I remembered. Anyway, I'm sure the movie I was looking for was in fact Agathe Cléry, her face is way too familiar. For now I'll find it and watch it, after I'll be sure about if it is in fact that movie I was looking for (^^)/
Thanks a whole lot for your reply~
Old 07-25-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Addison's Disease! Yeah, Addison's (adrenal insufficiency) can make you look darker. It's what JFK had that made him really sick and weak but made him look tanned and rested. I didn't think it could make you look "black" but maybe it can.
Old 07-25-18, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 298 Likes on 221 Posts

It would've been helpful to know that the movie was French or at least in a foreign language, although sometimes memories are funny like that and one doesn't necessarily remember the language a film was in.

However, what I want to know is: is this film actually a musical, like this Amazon review claims?
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-26-18, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 351 Posts

The Sammy Sosa Story?
Old 07-26-18, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Brian T to the rescue...and a newbie walks away satisfied. How often does that happen around here? Somewhere an angel just got his wings.
Old 07-26-18, 10:49 AM

Received 136 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm just glad the newbie actually replied! There seems to be a lot of one-and-done posters who ask for stuff but don't follow up with confirmation.

And to MissMadHatter, I'm 101% sure that it's the right movie. The actual plot, which isn't really shown in those clips I posted, is pretty much exactly as you described in your original post.
Old 07-27-18, 01:23 AM

Actually I couldn't remember that it was French since English is actually my second language and I speak French, I viewed most movies with French dub which is mainly why I thought the movie I was looking for might have been in English ^^ I finally got to watch it again and enjoy the movie, even though most of what I remembered only happened at the end lol, blame it on my past interest only for the romance parts.
These days I tend to try and find movies I saw when younger and re-watch them for fun, thanks a whole lot again Brian T for your reply~! I really didn't expect for anyone to reply to my first post, especially not so quickly, very grateful to everyone who took some time to reply something~!
Old 07-27-18, 02:45 AM

Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

...and Superman's Body Mold machine!

Old 07-27-18, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 261 Likes on 213 Posts

So it wasn't the long awaited sequel, Watermelon Woman?
Old 07-27-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 301 Posts

This thread is starting to take a bad turn.
Old 07-27-18, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 261 Likes on 213 Posts

I hope you're not referring to my post?

Just to be clear, it's a reference to the film Watermelon Man, from 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_Man_(film)
Old 07-27-18, 05:21 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
I don't think that's it.
Old 07-27-18, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I hope you're not referring to my post?

Just to be clear, it's a reference to the film Watermelon Man, from 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_Man_(film)
I'm not up on every movie with Watermelon in it's title. There's been a lot of shit spilling from Politics.