DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Hell Fest (2018, D: Plotkin) S: Amy Forsyth, Reign Edwards, Bex Taylor-Klaus (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/644699-hell-fest-2018-d-plotkin-s-amy-forsyth-reign-edwards-bex-taylor-klaus.html)

dex14 07-22-18 05:21 PM

Hell Fest (2018, D: Plotkin) S: Amy Forsyth, Reign Edwards, Bex Taylor-Klaus

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/..._SX632_AL_.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2zNAtmmWSJY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A masked serial killer turns a horror themed amusement park into his own personal playground, terrorizing a group of friends while the rest of the patrons believe that it is all part of the show.

College student NATALIE (Forsyth) is visiting her childhood best friend BROOKE (Edwards) and her roommate TAYLOR (Taylor-Klaus). If it was any other time of year these three and their boyfriends might be heading to a concert or bar, but it is Halloween which means that like everyone else they will be bound for HELL FEST – a sprawling labyrinth of rides, games, and mazes that travels the country and happens to be in town. Every year thousands follow Hell Fest to experience fear at the ghoulish carnival of nightmares.

But for one visitor, Hell Fest is not the attraction – it is a hunting ground. An opportunity to slay in plain view of a gawking audience, too caught up in the terrifyingly fun atmosphere to recognize the horrific reality playing out before their eyes. As the body count and frenzied excitement of the crowds continues to rise, he turns his masked face to NATALIE, BROOKE, TAYLOR and their boyfriends who will fight to survive the night.

A terrifying thrill ride from iconic horror producer Gale Anne Hurd (The Walking Dead, The Terminator) and director Gregory Plotkin (Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension, Editor – Get Out, Happy Death Day), this September, audiences will discover that it’s fun going in… but it’s hell getting out.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1999890/

mndtrp 07-23-18 03:21 PM

Re: Hell Fest (2018, D: Plotkin) S: Amy Forsyth, Reign Edwards, Bex Taylor-Klaus

The cover and synopsis sounds like something from RL Stine's old Fear Street young adult novels.

dex14 09-25-18 11:44 AM

Re: Hell Fest (2018, D: Plotkin) S: Amy Forsyth, Reign Edwards, Bex Taylor-Klaus

Opens this week.

islandclaws 09-25-18 02:06 PM

I hope this doesn't suck because it looks fun.

dex14 09-25-18 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 13413997)
I hope this doesn't suck because it looks fun.

Agreed. I'd like to check it out this weekend. No reviews yet... I saw a few positive Twitter posts.

dex14 09-25-18 02:15 PM

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qLQhsngi8bc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dn9kOktU8AAfOpV.jpg:large

Bluelitespecial 09-26-18 03:38 PM

I thought it looked like a PG-13 horror flick, but its nice to see its rated R. I might check it out.

dex14 09-26-18 03:43 PM

I’m going to go see it tomorrow.

melasnus 09-26-18 05:00 PM

Looks great to me.

A carnival/fair/amusement park are all great backdrops for horror movies.
Speaking of...where the hell is my Zombieland sequel??? :sad:

melasnus 09-26-18 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13414986)
I’m going to go see it tomorrow.

Please post a review. :toast:

DJariya 09-26-18 05:18 PM

Thinking about seeing this either Saturday or Sunday. It does look fun like a classic 80's slasher movie.

dex14 09-26-18 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by melasnus (Post 13415040)
Speaking of...where the hell is my Zombieland sequel??? :sad:

Next October: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...e-breslin.html

melasnus 09-26-18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13415062)

Dang...:(

Mondo Kane 09-26-18 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by melasnus (Post 13415069)
Dang...:(

Hey, At least they're finally starting to release horror movies in October now!

Mabuse 09-26-18 06:56 PM

Good premise. Hope it’s good.

I’d like to know how the script contrives to keep them in the park. After getting menaced and one of your group going missing wouldn’t you leave?

Hazel Motes 09-26-18 10:46 PM

This ticks all the boxes needed for me to pay my 12 bucks to go see it. Horror movie: check. Released theatrically: check.

melasnus 09-26-18 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane (Post 13415094)
Hey, At least they're finally starting to release horror movies in October now!

LOL, I guess you're right...:)

robin2099 09-27-18 08:12 AM

You know your watching a classic when one of the main selling points is that it comes from an executive producer of The Walking Dead.

dex14 09-28-18 08:46 AM

This is pretty much the definition of "what it says on the box." Just a no frills slasher. A couple graphic kills... the rest not so much. I don't think it utilized its R rating enough. No real character development. No dumb backstory on the killer, though the ending has a tease of one. There are five writers credited and it feels like it. It looked cool and the way it is shot it makes you "experience" the park along with the characters. Nothing amazing, but way better than the typical crap we get these days. I wouldn't go in with huge expectations though.

Why So Blu? 09-28-18 09:49 AM

Atom Tickets is having a Buy 1 get 1 Free to Hellfest.

I'm not interested, though.

robin2099 09-28-18 02:05 PM

Two things really made me enjoy this: The Halloween setting/haunted house setting(it really felt like a major haunted house attraction and not like the usual studio feel these types of movies have) and the old school slasher feel. This feels like a movie that would fit in perfectly in the 80's-early 90's. Characters are paper thin, they have no notable actors(minus Tony Todd in a cameo) the story is paper thin, the killer doesn't have some elaborate backstory(though the ending kind of gives him one). This type of setting is rarely used(last I can think of is The Funhouse) and the concept of being killed in plain site is creepy.

It's nothing amazing, but if you just want a way to killt ime and watch something themed to the Halloween season I recommend it as a matinee. 3/5.

Hazel Motes 09-29-18 02:55 AM

Fuck this movie sucked. It reminded me a lot of all those generic post Scream slashers like Valentine and Urban Legend. An 80's style slasher just without any of the charm or camp value.

TomOpus 09-29-18 05:35 AM

I have no plans to see it but my friend saw it and gave it a D. And he's fairly forgiving.

Josh-da-man 09-29-18 05:57 AM

Too bad. Bex Taylor-Klaus is my lesbian crush.

dsa_shea 09-29-18 11:12 PM

This really looked like a Netflix movie from the get. In fact, there was a movie I saw on Netlfix or Prime a few months ago that I thought about when I first saw the trailer for this. A group of friends went to a haunted house set up like this and end up being captured and used as the tortured victims for the scares for other people.