Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hell Fest (2018, D: Plotkin) S: Amy Forsyth, Reign Edwards, Bex Taylor-Klaus

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hell Fest (2018, D: Plotkin) S: Amy Forsyth, Reign Edwards, Bex Taylor-Klaus

Old 09-30-18, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: Hell Fest (2018, D: Plotkin) S: Amy Forsyth, Reign Edwards, Bex Taylor-Klaus

Caught an evening show tonight.

It was okay. Had some decent kills, but yeah there is really no character development so you don't really care about these 20-somethings.

There was really no motive given for the killer. I was expecting some kind of flashback to explain why he was doing this, but nope, nothing was given.

But, it's close to Halloween and it's not a bad way to spend under 90 minutes if you like the genre. It did feel like kind of a throwback to late 90's early 2000's horror movies.

I at the end of the movie when someone in my audience, who apparently wasn't pleased with the ending, said out loud...."Well, that was pointless"

If you're in the mood for a slasher pic, I'd give this a moderate recommendation. Use A-List, Movie Pass, Sinemia or see a cheap matinee. Don't spend big bucks on this.
Old 09-30-18, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hell Fest (2018, D: Plotkin) S: Amy Forsyth, Reign Edwards, Bex Taylor-Klaus

Watching people go through funhouse mazes for an hour is not my idea of a good time. My god, even at 90 minutes this dragged big time. I liked the concept, thought there were some cool moments but it didn't utilize the rating at all, the characters were flat and instead of the killer feeling relentless, he felt monotonous. A likeable cast completely wasted. Needed a lot more fun. Thank goodness it's only a few weeks until I can see Halloween 2018 again - puts shit like this to shame.
Old 09-30-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts

My son and I saw this today. It was okay. It put me in the mood for October and watching horror movies (though I basically do that year round there is just something about watching them in October).

Anyway, it had a couple of decent kills. The concept was great but I was never scared or tense or anything. I just kinda watched and it all just happened. Wasn't ever really drawn in but that was probably because no one really stood out in the cast. The ending shocked my 14 year old but only because he is not as well versed in horror flicks. Anyone else will know it is coming and it feels a little empty at the end.

Anyway...an okay time waster if you like horror and want to start off October with one in the theater. *** out of ***** (and that is being generous. 2.5 stars seems just a little low though since I didn't dislike the movie.)
Old 10-02-18, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt like this could have been a Purge sequel - with the killer venturing out to blow off some steam during the event.