Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

On the Basis of Sex (2018, D: Leder) S: Felicity Jones as Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-16-18, 10:50 AM

The film tells an inspiring and spirited true story that follows young lawyer Ruth Bader Ginsburg as she teams with her husband Marty to bring a groundbreaking case before the U.S. Court of Appeals and overturn a century of gender discrimination. The feature will premiere in 2018 in line with Justice Ginsburg’s 25th anniversary on the Supreme Court.
Old 07-16-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: On the Basis of Sex (2018, D: Leder) S: Felicity Jones as Ruth Bader Ginsburg

The Notorious RBG would have made for a better title.
Old 07-16-18, 11:04 AM

Re: On the Basis of Sex (2018, D: Leder) S: Felicity Jones as Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
The Notorious RBG would have made for a better title.
That seems to be the kind of marketing the documentary was going for.
Old 12-20-18, 08:10 AM

I think there are some limited screenings of this tonight and then has a limited opening next week.

Currently 75% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/on_the_basis_of_sex
Old 01-10-19, 07:08 AM

This goes wide this week.
Old 01-12-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought this would be a big awards contender and it just isn't getting any attention. Next time you hear some jerk telling you that Hollywood is nothing but ultra-liberals who can't resist patting themselves on their backs for their left-wing politics, bring up this movie.
Old 01-12-19, 07:05 PM

Good performances, but nothing special. Watch the RBG documentary.

I read the writer is her nephew. Weird seeing love scenes with her.
Old 01-12-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Side topic:

This is up in huge letters on the theater marquee near me. Out of context the word “Sex” gives the title a very risqué appearance. I once worked at a movie theater and the title Jackass launched a small drama where the landlord was concerned it was a prank.

It might be an interesting subject to look at the history of titles and how this film fits in.
Old 01-12-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Side topic:

This is up in huge letters on the theater marquee near me. Out of context the word “Sex” gives the title a very risqué appearance. I once worked at a movie theater and the title Jackass launched a small drama where the landlord was concerned it was a prank.

It might be an interesting subject to look at the history of titles and how this film fits in.

Our local theater had that issue when South Park came out. Apparently having a big cutout of Chef that said Bigger, Longer, Uncut made some people uncomfortable.
Old 01-13-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder at what point, exactly did Ruth Bader Ginsberg become kind of mythical hero? It seems like just within the last year or so she’s been EVERYWHERE as a liberal icon. Between this, The Notorious RBG, bobble heads, T-shirts, etc. Ginsberg has been popping up everythwerr lately
Old 01-13-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I wonder at what point, exactly did Ruth Bader Ginsberg become kind of mythical hero? It seems like just within the last year or so she’s been EVERYWHERE as a liberal icon. Between this, The Notorious RBG, bobble heads, T-shirts, etc. Ginsberg has been popping up everythwerr lately
Even though Clarence Thomas has been on the court a few years longer, RBG is 10 years older than Thomas. So it was expected that if/when Clinton defeated Trump and became POTUS, RBG could be the first Justice she replaced, and would certainly be replaced during Clinton's term. Since Trump won, it has become an obsession with liberals that RBG stay on the court until 2021.
Trump's appointment of Gorsuch did not change the balance of the court, as he was replacing the ultra-conservative Scalia.
Kavanaugh will be more reliably than Kennedy was, but Kennedy was no liberal.
If Trump gets the chance to replace solidly liberal RBG with a solidly conservative Justice, then the SC would be solidly conservative by a 6-3 majority.
Old 01-14-19, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kesha has a song on the soundtrack

Old 01-14-19, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Oh god! When the Bob Dylan harmonica kicks it it couldn’t be more on the nose.
Old 04-23-19, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I rented this from Redbox.

Honestly I did not care for this at all. Jones was good as Ginsberg, but other than that it was nothing special. It felt like a glorified Lifetime TV movie. You could have cast anyone of their rolodex of regular actors to play Ginsberg. You could tell this was one of those “Prestige" projects that was designed for awards season.

Luckily this was only a 27 cent rental with a credit I had.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-23-19 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was not expecting much but I though it was decent and Hammer and Felicity were good and Justin Theroux probably gave one of the best performances of his career.

Her daughter had a potty mouth and probably changed the rating from PG to PG-13 with her mouth.