Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Child's Play -- remake (2019, D: Klevberg) S: Aubrey Plaza, Bryan Tyree Henry, Gabriel Bateman

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Child's Play -- remake (2019, D: Klevberg) S: Aubrey Plaza, Bryan Tyree Henry, Gabriel Bateman

Old 06-24-19, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Child's Play -- remake (2019, D: Klevberg) S: Aubrey Plaza, Bryan Tyree Henry, Gabriel Bateman

^ I agree with everything you said. Buddi def needs a new design if there's a sequel.

Wish they'd done more with
Spoiler:
his ability to control other Kaslan products, as well as the Buddi 2 dolls, kinda felt like the budget prevented more of that sort of mayhem
but overall this was a remake done well.
Old 06-24-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 701 Likes on 574 Posts
Re: Child's Play -- remake (2019, D: Klevberg) S: Aubrey Plaza, Bryan Tyree Henry, Gabriel Bateman

Originally Posted by islandclaws View Post
^ I agree with everything you said. Buddi def needs a new design if there's a sequel.

Wish they'd done more with
Spoiler:
his ability to control other Kaslan products, as well as the Buddi 2 dolls, kinda felt like the budget prevented more of that sort of mayhem
but overall this was a remake done well.
Regarding your spoiler.
Spoiler:
I did feel like the ending was very rushed. Felt like they could have done more in the store with the Kaslan products being controlled by Chucky and the other Buddi dolls. Would have been a good time to have a bunch of them go out of control and to have gotten a couple more casualties. Not a big deal but that sequence could have been better.

I also kind of felt like Chucky went out a bit lame. Especially when you compare it to some of the deaths heís had in the original films.

One thing I forgot to mention is the score is good. I see that Waxwork Records is putting it out on vinyl and might grab it.
Old 06-25-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

Regarding your spoiler.
Spoiler:
I did feel like the ending was very rushed. Felt like they could have done more in the store with the Kaslan products being controlled by Chucky and the other Buddi dolls. Would have been a good time to have a bunch of them go out of control and to have gotten a couple more casualties. Not a big deal but that sequence could have been better.

I also kind of felt like Chucky went out a bit lame. Especially when you compare it to some of the deaths heís had in the original films.

One thing I forgot to mention is the score is good. I see that Waxwork Records is putting it out on vinyl and might grab it.
Yea, Bear's score is fantastic. He's really spoiling us this summer, between this and Godzilla (which is currently my favorite album of the year).

Another thing I would've liked to see during the finale is
Spoiler:
Chucky controlling all of the other Buddi dolls via a collective consciousness, sort of like Ultron, so the kids would've had to fight more than one "Chucky" in the end.

Again, I know the budget likely hampered some of the things the filmmakers wanted. I mean, did you see that "crowd" during the big shopping scene? Must've been "ask your friends & family" day on set, since that's the only valid excuse for such a poor turnout.
Old 06-25-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

La La Land Records put up the soundtrack on CD today. Wound up ordering a copy. They had some autographed copies available and Iím pretty sure I got one (it didnít really say but normally I think it says autographed copies sold out when theyíre gone).
Old 06-27-19, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

I really dug this movie. Its probably my favorite outside of the original. I thought Aubrey Plaza and Mark Hamill killed it. Also, add me to the small list of people who really liked the new Chucky design.
Old 07-03-19, 12:01 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I liked the change in story and the way they included 'smart' technology, AI, and other modern issues and I feel like this really helped sell the doll as being a credible threat to adults. There were some enjoyably gruesome moments.

I have to agree that Chucky's look didn't quite work in the sense that the dolls don't look 'cute' enough to be believable as such a hot selling toy... if Buddi were a real project it would have been memed to death and the company would have been forced to change the look before 1.0 launched. I feel like they were trying to make him creepier from the get-go, but the appeal of the original Good Guy doll was that it is initially cute enough you could plausibly believe kids would want it.
Old 07-03-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't sure what to expect with this but overall I liked it a lot and thought it was a good example of a remake done right. I understand the complaints about how this feels like a Black Mirror episode, and how its another example of an evil A.I but the people involved really make it work. All the characters were pretty good, the kills are pretty good when they happen, and I enjoyed the finale even though I agree the way Buddi went out was somewhat lame. Also kind of felt like Mark Hammil was wasted as the voice of Buddi. Since Buddi is an A,I he talks like a robot and Hammil never really gets a chance to make Buddi his own. Has a bit of a slow burn but overall I liked this a lot and would probably give it 3.75/5. Good example of how to do a remake and bring a different take.
Old 07-05-19, 06:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remake? Why?
Old 07-09-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Just got back from seeing it.

It had some good gore and laughs. But, the Chucky/Buddi design was terrible. It almost looked like the Asylum version of Chucky.

It did feel somewhat like a throwback to old 1980s/1990s horror. I'd probably give this one a B-

I don't think I'll re-watch this or want to own it, but it was worth the 90 minutes spent this afternoon.
Old 07-09-19, 11:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Just got back from seeing it.

It had some good gore and laughs. But, the Chucky/Buddi design was terrible. It almost looked like the Asylum version of Chucky.

It did feel somewhat like a throwback to old 1980s/1990s horror. I'd probably give this one a B-

I don't think I'll re-watch this or want to own it, but it was worth the 90 minutes spent this afternoon.
Your judgement - better than the original? Or not?
Old 07-10-19, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk God

On a second thought I’d probably lean more towards a C+ I was being a little too generous.
Old 07-10-19, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by greensmoke View Post
Your judgement - better than the original? Or not?
oh hell no. The original is better.
Old 07-11-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely not better than the original, but I would say itís better than a lot of horror remakes. Not saying a lot as theyíre all over the place but itís an entertaining enough film in its own right.