Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ant-Man and the Wasp (Reed, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Ant-Man and the Wasp (Reed, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
7.04%
11.27%
50.70%
15.49%
11.27%
2.82%
1.41%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Ant-Man and the Wasp (Reed, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp (Reed, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I liked this movie, but overall, I'd say first Ant-man was better.

As mentioned, a lot of the cool action scenes were shown in the trailers. That was kind of a bummer.

I didn't get wrapped up in the IW timeline (yes, they likely didn't get called or see the news, it happens), but I do get wrapped up in the rules of mass in the ant man movies. Seems to just follow the "rule of cool" (the laws behave however allows the scene to look cool). Doesn't bother me a ton, just gets me thinking.

I agree that it's refreshing to see such a great depiction of blended family - lang and his ex-wife, her partner (forget if it is boyfriend or husband), daughter, and now hope added to the mix. They all get along, and was good to see.

I wonder if ghost still has her "powers" after being healed. Like can she still phase, she just is not in pain and can control it? I assume no more powers, but wasn't clear.
Old 07-25-18, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I took my kids and my dad yesterday afternoon, and we enjoyed the hell out of it.
Old 07-28-18, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

I have to add that I thought Randall Park was hilarious in this. I'm a big Fresh off the Boat fan and I know he was just playing Louis in this movie but I had no idea he was in this so it was the biggest surprise in the movie for me. He plays the lovable bumbling character very well.
Old 07-28-18, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I have to add that I thought Randall Park was hilarious in this. I'm a big Fresh off the Boat fan and I know he was just playing Louis in this movie but I had no idea he was in this so it was the biggest surprise in the movie for me. He plays the lovable bumbling character very well.
I am not a big fan of the show but will add that he is the best thing about it. He has such a natural likeability. That character is probably him at home but it works on the screen so well.
Old 10-13-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Pretty much had the same feeling as I did with the first movie: it was fun but shallow entertainment. I did for the most part enjoyed it, however won't remember very much about it down the line. The humor was okay though some fell absolutely flat (really, a "whats uuuuup" joke?), but I did like the cast which was the saving grace.
Old 10-13-18, 01:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Shallow entertainment describes pretty much every superhero movie. That these Ant-Man movies are also fun and have more charm/heart, is why they rise to near the top of that heap.
Old 10-13-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't call Avengers: IW, Captain America: WS, Iron Man, Black Panther... in fact, most Marvel movies aren't that shallow, except the first Ant-Man, so I think I will stand firm about this being shallow. Hey, I had fun but I didn't find very much about this movie all that memorable. To each their own and all that, I just didn't think it was great and agree with Joe Schmoe's review, the going from big to small as often as it happened in a short span, kind of got old.
Old 10-13-18, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Superhero movies are practically shallow by definition. Logan is perhaps the only one that isn't.
Old 10-13-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IDK, I'll stick with ones I listed as not being shallow. Plus going back 10 years (can't believe it's been that long ago), The Dark Knight.
Old 10-13-18, 08:09 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Superhero movies are practically shallow by definition. Logan is perhaps the only one that isn't.
Watchmen isn't. But that was the whole point of the comic. Neither are the Nolan Batman movies.
Old 10-30-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I liked this but man did it seem a lot like a Spy Kids movie for some reason
Old 10-31-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Caught this on Red Box. I liked it a lot.
Old 10-31-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Watchmen isn't. But that was the whole point of the comic. Neither are the Nolan Batman movies.
I thought Watchmen was just full of itself, trying to be a shot for shot remake of the book, right up until they punted on the ending.

Haven't seen Marvel do anything like that yet.
Old 10-31-18, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

My issue with Watchmen is nothing seemed like it had weight. I didn't care who lived or died as it progressed. Not that Ant-man and Wasp had a great deal of character depth, but at least they resembled relatable humans with real-ish relationships.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-31-18 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

Peyton Reed talks about Ant-Man and the Wasp in regards to Infinity War timeline.

“I knew really early on. When we started the writing process, I knew. What I didn’t know was how it was going to factor into our movie. So the tricky thing about that was knowing everyone having seen Infinity War was going to come into Ant-Man and the Wasp and be looking for clues. ‘How’s this fit into the timeline?’ And we don’t give any clues for some time. We give clues that it’s after Civil War. And we started talking about having actors walk in front of monitors with events in the background of what’s going on, and that just seemed lazy to us and we’d seen that before and we wanted do something different and more striking. And in our outlining process, we kicked that problem down the road a little bit.
... "
Con't:
Ant-Man and the Wasp Post-Credits Scene Explained by Petyon Reed

I know there was talk about how the characters in this movie were not aware of Infinity War. It didn't bother me, but I'm fine with his explanation.