Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ant-Man and the Wasp (Reed, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Ant-Man and the Wasp (Reed, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
7.04%
11.27%
50.70%
15.49%
11.27%
2.82%
1.41%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Ant-Man and the Wasp (Reed, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp (Reed, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86
I kind of view the line in Infinity War about him being on house arrest as that’s what they last know of him. Maybe they weren’t keeping close tabs on him necessarily. Not really a plot hole if you ask me and even if so it’s fairly minor as the only reason it would matter is to why he’s not in the film.
Agreed. I think we're talking a handful of days, and it's not like he was an original Avenger. He was recruited for the mission in Germany, was "on" the team for a total of maybe 3 hours, and then bailed when they went on the run For a reason that I'm sure they understood and respected, but the point is that they just don't know the guy, it's not like they'll all be "Hey, has anyone heard from Scott lately?" They just dismiss him because they assume he's still on house arrest.
Old 07-09-18, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mapasu
Watching the end credits now. As a Lifetime Morrissey fan, I loved the gag.
Originally Posted by Cusm
As a lifetime Cure fan I don’t get the gag?
As a Lifetime Partridge Family fan, C'mon, Get Happy!
Old 07-09-18, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
that mid-credits sequence is devastating all over again...
100% agreed.
Spoiler:
Almost worse, because we were sitting there on somewhat of an emotional high after all the humor and hijinks. At least in A:IW, you had a couple of hours worth of dread and menace during which to brace yourself.
Old 07-09-18, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
In Infinity War, they said Scott took a deal to not do the super hero thing anymore. The house arrest was probably over by that time.

BUUUUUUT, how did Scott and Co. not know about the events of IW? They must have seen the news about another attack in New York. And there had to have been several hours (or nearly a whole day) between that point and Thanos's finger snap.

I'm assuming Scott being trapped in the quantum realm will tie into IW2 in some way.
Well I’m pretty sure the events of this film are taking place before Infinty War. To me it seems like there must have been a time lapse between the end of the movie and the mid-credits scene. As another poster alluded to the mid-credits scene kinda seemed like it could have been the team trying to use the quantum realm to try and stop Thanos from getting the stones but they were too late.
Old 07-09-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I’m pretty sure the events of this film are taking place before Infinty War. To me it seems like there must have been a time lapse between the end of the movie and the mid-credits scene. As another poster alluded to the mid-credits scene kinda seemed like it could have been the team trying to use the quantum realm to try and stop Thanos from getting the stones but they were too late.
They literally state that they're gathering quantum particles to continue healing Ghost.
Old 07-09-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ultimaton
They literally state that they're gathering quantum particles to continue healing Ghost.
Okay I missed that. No need to get snarky about it.
Old 07-09-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimaton
Yep, not sure why anyone thinks it has anything to do with Thanos/IW.

We enjoyed this quite a bit, maybe more than the first. Pena is great in this, he and his crew play so well off each other. Who would have thought that Rudd would make such a great super hero?? I have no clue what the comic version is/was like, but his take on an every man type of hero is really well done.
Old 07-09-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I imagine the 60s comic would contain the typical overly wordy obvious shit like

“My goodness, I am ant sized! Seemingly ordinary objects are now gigantic. What a difference this change in perspective makes! But my strength and speed remain enhanced. Incredible!”
Old 07-09-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I missed the line about Ghost but it didn’t seem crazy to think maybe the team wanted to help. We don’t know all of what the quantum realm is capable of. That’s why I thought it was a possibility.

I guess it’s hard to say for sure then if they were unaware of Thanos’ invasion or why they weren’t helping. Could be that Scott didn’t want to get involved or the events of Infinity War were happening faster than we realized and maybe they weren’t fully aware of it.
Old 07-09-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Because Hank also said that if he stays in there too long, and if they don't pull him out immediately, Scott could end up in a "time vortex"... I don't know about you, but that sounds like setup for some serious deus ex machina in the next Avengers movie.
Old 07-09-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So is Disney making Marvel hire actors from ABC sitcoms now?

Was this the first time that they've used footage from a post credits scene in trailers?
Old 07-09-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Of course the main events of AM2 take place before any part of IW.

But the midcredit scene where they're gathering quantum energy, what were Scott and Co. doing earlier in the day?

IW starts out (when we get to Earth) during the day in New York. Later, we see Wanda and Vision in Scotland at night. They see a news report about the alien ship. Later, the battle in Wakanda takes place during the day. Scotland is five hours ahead of New York, Wakanda is probably and hour or two ahead of Scotland.

New York, day.
Scotland, night.
Wakanda, day.

I'd say, at minimum, Infinity War takes place over 12 hours. Scott doesn't have to know about anything happening in space, or even Wakanda. But he should be aware of the giant alien ship that appeared in New York. Or does Scotland get news that San Francisco doesn't?

And even if Scott didn't consider himself an Avenger, he should at least be ready for some crazyness to happen. Instead he's just doing some routine energy gathering.
Old 07-09-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Did anyone see this in 4D? If so, what are your thoughts on the 4D?
Old 07-09-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

But the midcredit scene where they're gathering quantum energy, what were Scott and Co. doing earlier in the day?

IW starts out (when we get to Earth) during the day in New York. Later, we see Wanda and Vision in Scotland at night. They see a news report about the alien ship. Later, the battle in Wakanda takes place during the day. Scotland is five hours ahead of New York, Wakanda is probably and hour or two ahead of Scotland.

New York, day.
Scotland, night.
Wakanda, day.

I'd say, at minimum, Infinity War takes place over 12 hours. Scott doesn't have to know about anything happening in space, or even Wakanda. But he should be aware of the giant alien ship that appeared in New York. Or does Scotland get news that San Francisco doesn't?

And even if Scott didn't consider himself an Avenger, he should at least be ready for some crazyness to happen. Instead he's just doing some routine energy gathering.
Could have been so wrapped up in their work, they didn't take time to watch the news or keep up with social media.
Old 07-09-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Because Hank also said that if he stays in there too long, and if they don't pull him out immediately, Scott could end up in a "time vortex"... I don't know about you, but that sounds like setup for some serious deus ex machina in the next Avengers movie.
Obviously it's a set-up for Avengers 4, but the characters weren't entering into the Quantum Realm with any knowledge of Thanos or any intention to contribute to that fight in anyway -- which is what was some were speculating about.

Okay I missed that. No need to get snarky about it.
Huh?

All I said was there was literally dialogue explaining their actions. Sorry...?

New York, day.
Scotland, night.
Wakanda, day.

They were too wrapped up in building the new quantum tunnel to watch the news. Scott wanted to help but didn't have anybody he could contact to let them know he was willing to lend a hand. Scott learned his lesson about punching above his weight and figured he'd let the professionals handle it. Hank wouldn't let Scott go because "fuck Stark". Scott wanted to stay in San Francisco in-case it was targeted, but in the meantime, he still had work to do.

Last edited by ultimaton; 07-09-18 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 05:28 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I just realized that with this movie, Michelle Pfeiffer joins an elite club: actors who have portrayed both DC and Marvel superheroes/villains

Michelle Pfeiffer (Catwoman/Wasp)
Halle Berry (Catwoman/Storm)
Ben Affleck (Batman/Daredevil)
Michael Keaton (Batman/Vulture)
Ryan Reynolds (Green Lantern/Deadpool)

Tom Hardy (Bane/Venom) will soon join the list.

Are there others I'm forgetting?
Old 07-09-18, 05:37 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I just realized that with this movie, Michelle Pfeiffer joins an elite club: actors who have portrayed both DC and Marvel superheroes/villains

Josh Brolin - Jonah Hex/Thanos/Cable

Do you mean solely played Villain & Hero? Because there are obviously other actors who've been in both DC and Marvel movies.

Last edited by dex14; 07-09-18 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Man a couple of assholes in NYC get in a fight with Iron Man, and a couple of his buddies. Ant-Man is not sitting by the phone waiting for them to call for his help
Old 07-09-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

For the next movie, they pretty much has a full superhero team of 5 - Scott, Hank, Janet, Hope and Ghost.
Old 07-09-18, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Josh Brolin - Jonah Hex/Thanos/Cable

Do you mean solely played Villain & Hero? Because there are obviously other actors who've been in both DC and Marvel movies.
Like Laurence Fishburne in this very movie, who was Perry White and now Bill Foster. Which is funny, since I had already forgotten that he was Perry White.
Old 07-09-18, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Like Laurence Fishburne in this very movie, who was Perry White and now Bill Foster. Which is funny, since I had already forgotten that he was Perry White.
And JK Simmons, who was J. Jonah Jameson in the Raimi Spider-Mans and then Commissioner Gordon in Batman vs Superman and Justice League.
Old 07-09-18, 09:38 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I totally forgot about Fishburne playing Perry White and Simmons playing Gordon! Those are good examples, as is Brolin.

I'd draw the line at established characters from the comics, not necessarily heroes and villains. If Chris Evans had a minor role in Superman Returns as Bystander #3, I wouldn't count that, but I think Perry White, Commissioner Gordon, and J. Jonah Jameson are fair game.
Old 07-10-18, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF

Tommy Lee Jones played Two-Face in Batman Forever and Col. Phillips in Captain America: First Avenger
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje was Killer Croc in Suicide Squad, Kurse in Thor: The Dark World
Djimon Hounsou was Papa Midnite in Constantine, Korath in Guardians of the Galaxy

While not super-heroes, Chris Evans, Idris Elba, and Zoe Saldana were all in The Losers which is based on a DC/Vertigo comic.
V for Vendetta is technically a DC comic, so that's Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman.

Last edited by ultimaton; 07-10-18 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-10-18, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

(real comic book character names in bold)

You can add Tommy Lee Jones (Two-Face in Batman Forever/Col. Chester Phillips in Captain America), Angela Bassett (Amanda Waller in Green Lantern and Ramonda in Black Panther) ,Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Kurse in Thor:The Dark World/Killer Croc in Suicide Squad), Djimon Hounsou (Korath in Guardians/Papa Midnite in Constantine),Tao Okamoto (Mariko in The Wolverine/Mercy Graves in BvS), and Ciarán Hinds (Steppenwolf in Justice League/Mephisto in Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

If you count the Losers as a DC movie, then add Chris Evans (Jensen/Captain America/Johnny Storm), Idris Elba (Roque/Heimdall/Moreau in Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance) and Zoe Saldana (Aisha/Gamora) to the list, with Evans and Elba also both playing two different characters in Marvel movies.

Also if you count V for Vendtta as DC, add Hugo Weaving (V/Red Skull) and Natalie Portman (Jane Foster/Evey)

File the following under close, but not qualified under your standard, for not playing a real comic book character in at least one of the films:

James Marsden: Cyclops and "Richard White" (son of Perry White in Superman Returns)

Michael Fasbender: Magneto and "Burke" in Jonah Hex

Tim Robbins: "Phil Blumburtt" in Howard the Duck and "Senator Robert Hammond" (father of Hector Hammond in Green Lantern)

Ned Beatty: "Sam Kolawetz" in Captain America (1990) and "Otis" in Superman. Otis was later introduced into the comics, but not until 2013.

Parker Posey: "Danica Talos" in Blade Trinity and "Kitty Kowalski" in Superman Returns.

EDIT: and ultimaton gave you most of the above while I was busy putting this together, lol

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 07-10-18 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-10-18, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Jon Bernthal did some Justice League TV movie voice and is The Punisher.

And not quite like that but somewhat related: Jennifer Connelley technically has two roles, since she was in the original Hulk (which, while not really MCU, was heavily referenced in the opening credits of the Incredible Hulk, which is MCU), did the voice of Spider-Man’s AI in Homecoming. And she’s married to Paul Bettany, who started as Jarvis.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.