Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ant-Man and the Wasp (Reed, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Ant-Man and the Wasp (Reed, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
7.04%
11.27%
50.70%
15.49%
11.27%
2.82%
1.41%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Ant-Man and the Wasp (Reed, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-18, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp (Reed, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

This was a fun time. All the supporting players were great. Awesome to see Michael Peña and Walton Goggins share the screen again, when both of them have come so far.
Old 07-06-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, some comments and personal analysis of the mid credits scene...

Spoiler:
It went down pretty much exactly as I'd expected. I think it is pretty clear that the bulk of this movie slightly precedes the events from A:IW, and then, as others have pointed out, most of the world is oblivious to the majority of that movie. About the only thing is the wheel in the sky above NYC, and Iron Man disappearing, but frankly, that is noteworthy but not all that unusual at this point in the MCU. So fairly safe to say that Pym and Team Ant-Man/Wasp probably know that Iron Man has been gone for maybe 4-6 hours. They know nothing of Wakanda.

It is worth noting that Hank Pym specifically advises Scott to watch out for the Time Vortexes while he is in the Quantum Realm. I think this will not only provide Scott his eventual escape, but ties in with the set pics from Avengers 4 that show what appears to be a recreation of the Battle of NYC with Ant-Man present. I'm still not sure how his time travel will contribute to an eventual solution for the Thanos decimation, unless maybe the Ancient One detects the disturbance in the fabric of space/time and shows up to return Scott to his proper time, in the process diagnosing portions of the bigger problem and providing him with info that will prove useful? At this point, we know of two methods of time travel... the Time Gem, which is reliable in the right hands, and the Time Vortexes in the Quantum Realm, which I think we can safely say are unreliable, or at least uncontrollable for the inexperienced.

It is also entirely possible, if Ant-Man is part of the solution, that Doctor Strange used some of his off-screen time in A:IW to jump back to Earth and plant some note or other info in Ant-Man's costume.
Very useful plot device to have a character who has already seen the single course of events that will lead to victory, all he has to do is follow that script.

Overall effect of that scene was similar to the same scene in A:IW, possibly more devastating to view because Ant-Man is such a comedic movie.
Old 07-06-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The events of IW took days maybe weeks.
I viewed A:IW as if it took place over roughly 36-48 hours. With the public aware only of the brief battle in NYC and Iron Man's disappearance.
Old 07-06-18, 05:26 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler
I viewed A:IW as if it took place over roughly 36-48 hours. With the public aware only of the brief battle in NYC and Iron Man's disappearance.
Agreed. It seemed to take place over 3 days max.
Old 07-06-18, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Yeah, it definitely didn’t seem like weeks went by during Infinity War to me either.

Spoiler:
I guess I didn’t initially pick up on the mid credits scene possibly involving the team trying to locate Stark but that does make sense and would line up the films nicely. Seems like Ant-Man must have a pretty big role in Avengers 4. I think that’s been the rumor for a while but I’ll be glad to see it play out. Really like Rudd and both the Ant-Man films.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-06-18 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-06-18, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

A great deal of fun and I agree with it being better than the first.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think Hannah John-Kamen is gorgeous.
I saw RP1 but don't remember her. She certainly caught my attention here. Then again, when any chick goes gothy:

One missed opportunity was Stan Lee's cameo. When Pym put the FBI outfit on, it would've been perfect if Stan walked by in the same outfit. What they ended up using was weak.
Old 07-06-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

I had a lot of fun watching this today. Lots of humor. Michael Pena absolutely cracked me up. Loved his re-telling of the story of how he and Scott met with his voice over.

I love Scott's relationship with Cassie. Just a very sweet father daughter bond. Glad to see he's friendly with his ex and her new husband unlike so many other broken marriages portrayed in film and TV.

Evangeline Lilly really shined in this one as the Wasp.

The cliffhanger that tied into Infinity War was a nice touch. However, with the expected time travel element that's been talked about and speculated for Avengers 4, doesn't that basically retcon pretty much all the events of this movie? Unless they can bring back Pym, Hope and Janet at the same moment they were wiped out by Thanos? I'm curious how they can get Scott back from the Quantum Realm? Man, so many unanswered questions for the next 10 months to sit on.

The de-aging technology is just amazing. Douglas, Pfeiffer and Fishburne all looked great as their younger counterparts.
Old 07-06-18, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I loved it. This is everything a Marvel movie should be. I prefer the comedies over the straight action (Winter Soldier the exception) movies. The comedy was on-point, everything clicked. I liked it better than Ragnarok. Definitely on the top of my list for best Marvel movies.
Old 07-06-18, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
The cliffhanger that tied into Infinity War was a nice touch. However, with the expected time travel element that's been talked about and speculated for Avengers 4, doesn't that basically retcon pretty much all the events of this movie? Unless they can bring back Pym, Hope and Janet at the same moment they were wiped out by Thanos? I'm curious how they can get Scott back from the Quantum Realm? Man, so many unanswered questions for the next 10 months to sit on.
I don’t see how anything has been retconned to this point. We don’t know how Avengers 4 plays out yet or what the future of the characters is going forward. This was just another building block in the grander story.

Spoiler:
Definitely not as guilty of throwing the entire film out the window as opposed to Deadpool 2 which literally makes the entire film not matter in the end credits scene.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-06-18 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-06-18, 07:44 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I love Scott's relationship with Cassie. Just a very sweet father daughter bond. Glad to see he's friendly with his ex and her new husband unlike so many other broken marriages portrayed in film and TV.
Yea. That girl is adorable and they play well off each other. Hopefully, the (slight Avengers 4 spoiler)
Spoiler:
girl they cast as the older Cassie in Avengers 4 has this quality.
Old 07-06-18, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the entire dynamic that he has with not only his daughter but the ex-wife and her boyfriend. They play really well off each other. Also like Michael Peña and the rest of his friends. I think overall the two Ant-Man films have one of the best supporting casts in addition to good leads.
Old 07-06-18, 09:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

I had a lot of fun watching this today. Lots of humor. Michael Pena absolutely cracked me up. Loved his re-telling of the story of how he and Scott met with his voice over.
his voice overs to other people lip syncing was my favorite parts of 1...
Old 07-06-18, 09:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I think a fun extra would have been to have Michael Pena do his silly voice over to explain the entire MCU universe up until the Avengers 4. It'd be like a 30 minute standup.

This was a fun movie, and my kids even enjoyed it.
Old 07-06-18, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really the injection of fun needed after IW. Nice set up and yeah, Pena really knocked it out. I do like Paul's comedic take and it's very different than the other "funny" MCU characters.
Old 07-06-18, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Really enjoyed it (I like the first one a lot too). The creativity with the powers is unique in the MCU and always fun to see. A super fun flick! Rudd and Pena are fantastic and the de-aging stuff is getting mind blowing. I’m sure a whole movie is coming soon using it.

Spoiler:

And I told my wife that I thought the credit scene would be the Wasp getting the Thanos treatment. Still chilling to see. As for the timeline, Fury and Maria Hill were also unaware that big stuff was happening in IW. They just got some info from Wakanda when the *snap* happened.
Old 07-07-18, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Thought the first one was much funnier. The jokes here just fell flat. This one had too much quantum mumbo jumbo for my taste, especially the stuff with Ghost. Didn't get that part, or how Janet took over Scott's mind and body, or how she cured Ghost by simply touching her head. If I hadn't watched the trailers, maybe I would have enjoyed the constant changing from small to big and the chase through S.F., but I felt like I had already seen it. Wish Pfieffer's and Rudd's roles had been bigger: his felt like a supporting role even though he was the main star. Really disappointed.
Old 07-07-18, 06:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Fun as heck film. I like all 19, and Winter Soldier will likely never be topped, but the two Ant-Man films might be 2/3 for me.
Old 07-07-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Really enjoyed it (I like the first one a lot too). The creativity with the powers is unique in the MCU and always fun to see. A super fun flick! Rudd and Pena are fantastic and the de-aging stuff is getting mind blowing. I’m sure a whole movie is coming soon using it.

Spoiler:

And I told my wife that I thought the credit scene would be the Wasp getting the Thanos treatment. Still chilling to see. As for the timeline, Fury and Maria Hill were also unaware that big stuff was happening in IW. They just got some info from Wakanda when the *snap* happened.

I agree with your spoiler and I will scale back my commentary. I totally forgot about that.

Old 07-07-18, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Finally saw today, longer review tomorrow, but wow, that was the shot in the arm we needed after Infinity War. Just charming from start to finish - how cool that Scott created an Ant-Man heist for Cassie out of cardboard tunnels and slides, or Luis, the truth serum, and his whole experience with shrinking and being part of the team!

Wife also pointed out that this was the most family-friendly Marvel movie to date - nobody died (mid credit scene not withstanding), the action was kinetic, but not intense, and the rest of the movie was definitely PG level. It was almost a live action Big Hero 6 affair.

Much fun and we'll see it again.
Old 07-07-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This also kind of felt like the first Marvel movie without a real big bad villain to me. I mean sure I know Ghost is supposed to be but really she doesn’t do a lot of super villain stuff for the most part. She’s more just a pain in the ass to Ant-Man and company.
Old 07-07-18, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno

Wife also pointed out that this was the most family-friendly Marvel movie to date
That's exactly what I said about the first Ant-Man, and because of that, it was the first Marvel film that I took my twin daughters to see in theaters. They were 6 at the time. Probably just about the same age as Cassie. This film just continues in that tradition.

One of my daughters has totally latched on to Marvel and I take her to all of them now. The other only cares about Spider-Man and Ant-Man.

Today I took all 3 of my daughters to see AM&W (my youngest wasn't ready yet in 2015), and we all had a great time.
Old 07-07-18, 10:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

That’s a cool story.
Old 07-07-18, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
This also kind of felt like the first Marvel movie without a real big bad villain to me. I mean sure I know Ghost is supposed to be but really she doesn’t do a lot of super villain stuff for the most part. She’s more just a pain in the ass to Ant-Man and company.
Plus, they were all allies in the end (including Lawrence Fishburne), and nobody got killed or permanently injured. They even brought back someone who was thought to be dead.

The bumbling bad guys only got arrested. And even the FBI guy, the ex-wife, and her boyfriend are all friendly with Scott. Daughter loves him more than ever. Security business is booming thanks to them being on the news. Every possible thing worked out in their favor (except for that one moment which will be undone anyway), and that’s somewhat refreshing.
Old 07-08-18, 12:38 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

The timeline issue is that there is clearly a time jump between the main movie and the end credits scene (long enough for Hank and Janet to go on vacation). By the end of the main sequence, Scott is no longer under house arrest. But the reason he (and Hawkeye) are not included in Avengers 3 is because he's under house arrest. So the timeline doesn't match up.

That's a nitpick, though, and I did quite enjoy the movie. I loved the interplay between Scott and Hope, and the interplay between Scott and Cassie. The physics of shrinking made no sense (as in the first movie), but they had a lot of fun with it and came up with some cool uses for the shrinking power.

I did have one major problem, which is that Ghost's entire role as an antagonist goes away if Hank Pym or Bill Foster can stop being a raging asshole for 15 seconds. Which makes it really hard to root for Team Ant, since they are completely in the wrong in terms of how they are reacting to Ghost. I think we got one line that was something like "We'll help you after we rescue my wife," and otherwise Hank didn't seem to give a shit that this woman was trying to save her own life, and Bill didn't seem to ever even think about going to Hank for help instead of stealing his lab.
Old 07-08-18, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I kind of view the line in Infinity War about him being on house arrest as that’s what they last know of him. Maybe they weren’t keeping close tabs on him necessarily. Not really a plot hole if you ask me and even if so it’s fairly minor as the only reason it would matter is to why he’s not in the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.